Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What are we going to do to keep up with longhorn?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killercow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: What are we going to do to keep up with longhorn? Reply with quote

While i know linux is miles ahead of windows in any server situation, Linux on the desktop has just catched up.

Since MS will release more and more beta's and screenshots of longhorn to the public i feel we "the linux people" need to do the same.

In this thread i'd like to summ up the changes that will apeal to "the (legendary) avarage user" that will go into longhorn, and what our answers will be.

I currently know of the following changes, that we'd need to match.

Change: Transparant windows.
Answer: Xorg translucency / window manager themes
State: Somewhat functional under KDE, and other window managers
Where to get: Just turn it on in the Kontrol center of KDE 3.4.*

Change: Bootup speeds
Answer: Speedup Gentoo + tools.
State: Almost matches winXp behaviour, Fedora does a way better job than gentoo.
Where to get: http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speed_up_your_boot_time / https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-331844.html

Change: WinFS
Answer: Beagle
State: works pretty cool on Gnome, is there a KDE version?
Where to get: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Beagle

Change: Sleek icons
Answer: SVG icons
State: Works on some CVS build i guess?
Where to get: don't know.

Last edited by killercow on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
keli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bootup: init-ng kicks any Fedora/Windows ass for sure 8) (but who cares, when you're rebooting once a month anyway? :D )

SVG icons: - you have them in GNOME since a long-long time ago ...

But really ... couldn't care less what Windows is doing. I for one do not belive in force-feeding linux on everyone. Everybody id free to use whatever he/she likes and none of this is going to change my mind about what I want to use 8)

Linux doesn't have to "win over windows" in some arguable side-by-side comparison. Linux has features and facilities windows will probably never have and the same is true vice versa as well. You just need to know which featureset you're more interested in, and that's it.
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winfs is not coming in longhorn, and, beagle is certainly not a replacement..

new stuff (of microsnot doesent remove move of longhorn planned features) is avalon, the new .net 2.0 runtime which is to be EXTREMELY optimized (the current .net 1.1 runtime was just a hack they put together to quickly be able to run .net stuff, says developers on msdn blogs)

however, i am quite confident that alot of the new stuff for kde4 will match longhorn quite nicely. http://plasma.bddf.ca/ is just one of the new things, and the kde4 change to qt4 will also provide quite nice speedups into kde.

if kde4 can be released (i hope before) or atleast same time, and some desktop distribution can pick it up quick enough, im sure that longhorn will get its competition.
certocivitas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that one of the most important things Linux should do better is compatibility with Microsoft formats. The problem, as we are all aware, is that much of it is closed-source which makes the job very hard (intentionally so). This is a major roadblock to many potential Linux converts because their data is not easily accessible. NTFS write support, as an example, would make a huge difference. You just have to take a look at some of the projects that are tackling these jobs to realize that they could use much more help.

It's not a cool job like coding new transparency features, but for Linux to thrive on the desktop users need to be able to work with MSFT formats as seamlessly as possible. They are the big kid on the block and like in or not (most defiantly NOT) Linux has to work with their formats well.
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think ntfs is whats stopping linux on the desktop
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certocivitas wrote:
I think that one of the most important things Linux should do better is compatibility with Microsoft formats. The problem, as we are all aware, is that much of it is closed-source which makes the job very hard (intentionally so). This is a major roadblock to many potential Linux converts because their data is not easily accessible. NTFS write support, as an example, would make a huge difference. You just have to take a look at some of the projects that are tackling these jobs to realize that they could use much more help.

It's not a cool job like coding new transparency features, but for Linux to thrive on the desktop users need to be able to work with MSFT formats as seamlessly as possible. They are the big kid on the block and like in or not (most defiantly NOT) Linux has to work with their formats well.

You have full NTFS write support if you use the captive (which uses windows binaries). So, i don't really agree with you about NTFS. I do agree with you about the issue in compatibility with Microsoft formats, though. First, because of existing such a thing as "Microsoft formats". That's a big strategy of "them", which allows them to manipulate everybody around those closed formats. And second, because even those formats that are known standards get, some times, to be "Microsoftized", which gives people the same trouble again.

About the thread itself, i've not really seen any interesting stuff coming out of Longhorn yet. I do see in MacOs X, though. If the question was "What are we going to do to keep up with a good Desktop System", i would say "a lot". Nonetheless, i'm a happy Gentoo user. :)
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree yet disagree with your points.

First off, I think Linux on the desktop has caught up with Windows years ago, and now we are really seeing some innovative things... that MS will surely copy on Longhorn, then claim them as new and revolutionary, and claim Linux is only copying them. Watch, this WILL happen, and it pisses me off to no end.

Anyways... I agree with the bootup time. Linux used to be fast than Windows to boot, but these days I'm not too sure. What needs to be done is more work on initng. This thing is blazing, but I wan't able to get it working right, and I didn't realyl have the time too mess with it. It would be great if Gentoo backed initng somehow and made it the preferred bootup, instead of sysvinit.

I disagree that Fedora is faster on boot than Gentoo, because I've seen a fedora system boot recently, on a faster processor than I have, and it was deffinitly slow (and had no pretty splash :))

WinFS... who cares... The reiser filesystems are where is is at. I can't wait until Reiser4 is reall stable. I currently use Reiser 3.6.

Transparent windows... I think this is being picked up by most WM's, and pseudo transparency is all over the place.

Icons... I think you should look at kde-look.org or gnome-look.org, or some of those other icons sites people get their icons from. There are tons of nice looking icon sets available for Linux. Actually I've started seeing some of the being ported to windows, and I laugh telling peopel that I have had this icon or that icon for a couple of years.
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:

First off, I think Linux on the desktop has caught up with Windows years ago, and now we are really seeing some innovative things... that MS will surely copy on Longhorn, then claim them as new and revolutionary, and claim Linux is only copying them. Watch, this WILL happen, and it pisses me off to no end.

So, you mean you would give a Linux Desktop system to a novice just as you would give him/her a Windows system? I quite disagree.
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noup wrote:

So, you mean you would give a Linux Desktop system to a novice just as you would give him/her a Windows system? I quite disagree.

I would, and have done.
jsmaye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Who cares what Longhorn is going to do? Reply with quote

How many past Windows 'gee-whiz' features have flopped? Does Linux want to be in a reactionary mode over features that don't catch on and are dropped or disabled in future releases/patches/upgrades?

Nobody says "hey, let's see if we can't beat Mac OS v.whatever with such-and-such feature." Let's not think that way with Windows.

Linux needs to address what users want, not what Windows/Longhorn is going to (maybe) release. How many times has Microsoft stripped off features to make a release deadline?

Who cares about pseudo-transparency? Make Linux better at what it's already good at (speed, footprint, stability) and improve on what it's not so good at...like... hang on, I'll think of something.

Linux needs more hand-shaking and less chest-thumping...
certocivitas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfraser33 wrote:
noup wrote:

I would, and have done.

I installed a Gentoo box with X, Gnome, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc., for the family to use. Most of the people using it could not properly install Windows or deal with the configuration anyway, they just want the thing to work. The outcome of a completed Gentoo install is just as usable by the technically challenged as Windows. They can surf the web, do email, do office tasks, watch movies and so on.

Its actually better than windows because I can do all the maintenance and upgrades from my house with a variety of tools (ssh to vnc).

The only major problems I have had to troubleshoot with it are compatibility issues involving Windows formats (think MS Office, WMV). The kids don't like the lack of game support but no complaints on that front by the grownups.:lol:

The two keys to Linux desktop adoption on a wider scale, as I see it, are:

a. Super-simple installation that requires almost no technical knowledge.
b. Seamless compatibility (or close to) with proprietary Microsoft formats.

The first is being actively tackled by distros like Ubuntu and Fedora but still isn't there. The second is a greater challenge given the competitions desire to make it as hard as possible.
jsmaye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfraser33 wrote:
noup wrote:

I would, and have done.

I agree, with the caveat that the novice would be trading speed and stability for near-universal compatibility and slightly more polished applications. When he hesitated at the thought of some Barneyware application not available for Linux, then I explain about a little something called GNU and Open Source licensing...

It's only by introducing Linux to novices that it will ever rise to the level of being pre-loaded on $500 emachines at Best Buy. Propeller-heads installing it on $2500 Frankensystems will forever keep in in the dark recesses of the PC elite...
kyPixel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the big deal of having a fast booting system... generally on linux, you rarely reboot, unless you are on a very unstable system... and even then.... between most distros theres only a few seconds difference between the boot times...

Unless booting a computer becomes life threatening if it's too slow.. I don't see the point of arguing about it... Lets focus on more important things such as improving compile times and compatability.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What are we going to do to keep up with longhorn? Reply with quote

killercow wrote:

Change: Transparant windows.
Answer: Xorg translucency / window manager themes
State: Somewhat functional under KDE, and other window managers
Where to get: Just turn it on in the Kontrol center of KDE 3.4.*

It has already been confirmed (over at [H]ardforum) by some MS blocky that the Transparacy that will be use din Longhorn is a dirty hack and isnt really working at the moment
The Xorg trasparacy is Working!!! yes it has teething problems, but this was cutting edge.
Apple had this first, linux got it , now MS are copying!! so it is them that is trying to keep up
Eqully us develoing cairo (Think thats wot it is calleD) to do a 3D accel desktop, Windows copying this idea.

So again is it linux that is playing Catchup

killercow wrote:

Change: Bootup speeds
Answer: Speedup Gentoo + tools.
State: Almost matches winXp behaviour, Fedora does a way better job than gentoo.
Where to get: http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speed_up_your_boot_time

Obviously you aint tried Init-ng
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-331844.html
http://initng.thinktux.net/

My GEntoo box boots in abt 45sec (proven with bootchart). My WindowsXP even with Prefetch takes longer then that. Equally they "fack" fast boot by drawing the desktop before things are actually ready. The number of time I double-click on say firefox once the desktop is "drawn" and have to wait 2min while windowsXP finishes loading (HD clicking away...). MS fack the appearance of a sfaster boot.

So I now use Init-ng. My gentoo boots in 15sec!!!!!! trust this is fast!!! bloody fast and windows has an extreamly long way to go to first of all beat my non init-ng boot time let alone the 15sec!!!

check it out

killercow wrote:

Change: WinFS
Answer: Beagle
State: works pretty cool on Gnome, is there a KDE version?
Where to get: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Beagle

Yes Beagle is fantastic!!!! and it is basically (in it basic form) what WinFS would do to NTFS (Beagle does alot more tho)
The fact is we have BEagle NOW, WinFS has been pulled from Longhorn release, thus they are again chasing Linux

killercow wrote:

Change: Sleek icons
Answer: SVG icons
State: Works on some CVS build i guess?
Where to get: don't know.

Again we have had SVG for a loong time with GNOME and it has taken a while (ie XP) fo rwindows to get some self-respecting icon system.
Note I said Icon-system not icons since the icons avaible for Windows are great For XP but they dont have verctor grphics like SVG that GNOME has now
so again Windows is chasing Linux

So far from those key poitn syou have stated I have shown that is tis infact Windows that is behind and Linux is being very innvative.
We should not try to be windows, Linux needs to be unique. If you try to match what something is doing by definition you will always be chasing them since you have to wait to see what they do.

Innovate
killercow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strage thing is, lots of stuff going into windows has been thought about by people who actually do know what the avarage user is, and get payed lots of money to do so.

Next to that i actually do like some of the features "they" are saying it will have, wheter or not any other OS on the planet has them, or will get them doesn't matter afaic. If something apeals to me, or if something might work better for some users i think we should provide it.

Since i know a lot of things are allready here, i'd like this thread to become more of a general

(how do i get feature "X" from OS "Y" on my gentoo machine, or what program could i use to do something similar, coz what OS "Y" does looks like i want to have it)

Things like transparancy are things loads of general users do like, and want, but cannot be found easily.

In general:

I know we linux geeks like to do it our way, and i know we can. BUT, does that mean we can't also have it their way? Why let Apple and MS spend all that money on gui/human interaction/whatever research, and not pick the cherry's? Since we linux people can do it both our way, And their way, i think we should make it easy for the "avarage user" on linux to also use their way.

get it?
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certocivitas wrote:

The two keys to Linux desktop adoption on a wider scale, as I see it, are:

a. Super-simple installation that requires almost no technical knowledge.
b. Seamless compatibility (or close to) with proprietary Microsoft formats.

The first is being actively tackled by distros like Ubuntu and Fedora but still isn't there. The second is a greater challenge given the competitions desire to make it as hard as possible.

I totally agree. I'd add another two:

c. Keep the number of apps down to one of each type (plus maybe Firefox and Thunderbird because they're fairly well known) on the install CD. KDE plus OOo or Gnome plus a few more GTK+ apps plus OOo should have enough for most new users. Allow more advanced users to "discover" other packages in an online repository via a GUI front end to the package manager. I'm not advocating removing choices, just hiding them until a user is ready for it. For a newbie desktop I don't think they need the daunting list of available packages that span the 4+ CD distros. I think Ubuntu/Kubuntu are already going down this road. On a machine with an blank HDD the distro CD should boot, install and setup without any user interaction and reboot into the new OS (can you tell I haven't thought about how to handle partitioning for dual-boot for total newbies?).

d. Documentation. Just the basics I suppose, something like the Mac mini User's Guide. With a cut down distro a section titled "Setting up email" only needs to refer to KMail for a KDE distro or Evolution (maybe) for a Gnome distro and Thunderbird (or just Thunderbird?).

I haven't put a lot of thought into these so please excuse my ideas being rough around the edges.
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/Astr4y wrote:
I don't see the big deal of having a fast booting system... generally on linux, you rarely reboot, unless you are on a very unstable system... and even then.... between most distros theres only a few seconds difference between the boot times...

Unless booting a computer becomes life threatening if it's too slow.. I don't see the point of arguing about it... Lets focus on more important things such as improving compile times and compatability.

I agree but that seems to be how some people judge things. I can almost here the complaints of "but XP boots faster" now. Personally, first thing in the morning I press the on button, go and make coffee, log in and that's the last I see of the boot process all day. In more typical homes I'm guessing they'll be booting then shutting down then booting again and so on like some people turn their TVs on and off as needed.

Doesn't XP cheat by allowing log in before the OS has finished booting? XP can take a while after the desktop's appeared to become fully usable. My PC is usable the moment KDE (or Gnome depending on my mood) has started.
m0p
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my boottime is less than 1 minute. More like ~30 secs. Not too slow. I could improve it further with some tweaks, too. If I was using Reiser4, a gcc4 compiled kernel, and a tweaked out init system, I could get instant boottime.
jsmaye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfraser33 wrote:
/Astr4y wrote:

I agree but that seems to be how some people judge things. I can almost here the complaints of "but XP boots faster" now. Personally, first thing in the morning I press the on button, go and make coffee, log in and that's the last I see of the boot process all day. In more typical homes I'm guessing they'll be booting then shutting down then booting again and so on like some people turn their TVs on and off as needed.

Doesn't XP cheat by allowing log in before the OS has finished booting? XP can take a while after the desktop's appeared to become fully usable. My PC is usable the moment KDE (or Gnome depending on my mood) has started.

IMO, fast rebooting is only a Windows issue because, stability aside, it requires so many reboots for so many things, e.g. upgrades, patches, security fixes, installation of some apps, etc. And an enterprising computer person can stabilize Windows with a few tweaks and fixes where it can go months between rebooting (and even get paid for it. I personally think Windows' instability is overplayed, and fixing it ignored so that there can be more anti-Microsoft hand-wringing and bed-wetting...)

I also advocate not turning the PC off, and therefore eliminating the "daily/morning boot wait ". The hardware lasts longer, there's no waiting for the login, and securing the console and network access keeps it as safe as turning it off.

Windows presents a login screen before it's finished booting because part of the boot process is dependant upon the userid. It's almost useless until it's completely finished because of all the background processes still loading. Yes, WinXP throws up a login screen pretty quick, but it's not finished booting...
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My electric bill is high enough without leaving PCs on 24/7, not to mention the noise from my main PC in the living room, the one in the hall and the three in the bedroom at night. :wink:

PS My Mac mini boots OS X pretty quickly. The only reason my Gentoo PC takes a bit longer than XP on the same system is because of all the crap I have starting while I test some stuff out. :)
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfraser33 wrote:
noup wrote:

I would, and have done.

Well, i don't think i would do it that quickly. Even though i would like to do it, it just can't be that immediate.

A person who only knows the Windows environment would require extra efforts to become a linux user, and this even applies to beginners. Let me see... "hey, i've got that new cdrom about the city we're travelling to next month, wanna see it? oh wait, you can't... well, just have someone reinstall windows". At the least error or "delay" caused by the Operating System which affects the user in it's "i just want this to work" mood, you have another lost user. Are people used to work with Openoffice? I don't think so (i find it just the same as Microsoft Office, but i don't think everybody does). Does aMsn support all those "shaking" and "hand-writting" msn extras? Can they install programs just as simply as they normally do (i think this has already been discussed here)? Does all the hardware work correctly? Does every web page work correctly with firefox? (i'm obviously not blamming firefox.) I can't even buy bus tickets online in my country without using Internet Explorer... (and no hack can be mentioned, we're talking about common "want-this-to-work" users). And not to mention gamers.

So, one think that i totally disagree is to say that Linux is ready for Desktop use. Many of the things i pointed out aren't obviously its fault, but it is just the way it is by now. I always try to push people into trying new things (aka Linux), but it takes people lots of courage to really adopt it in many situations, since the thing "everybody uses" wouldn't get them into so many troubles.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Chat. No support issues in this thread.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noup wrote:
mikegpitt wrote:

Well others have pretty much replicated what I will say, but since the question was directed to me I'll respond too :)

Yes I would give a linux desktop to 'regular' people, and I have many times. Actually every time I have, they actually like it much better than Windows. Usually they are comming from a typical Windows machine where you would find lots of spyware and a virus or two. Some of them have just used Windows for a while, and the performance degraded over time (which is typical). They hear me talk about linux all the time and become interested... and love it.

I install gentoo on their system, because I feel I can customize it from scratch to suit them and their needs.

Although I had one friend who accidently deleted his boot partition, when messing around, later downloaded Ubuntu and Fedora and installed them himself. Rememebr this is not a hard core computer guy. Just a regular person. (He actually perfered Gentoo better, so I still need to reinstall for him.)

I could go on but there is no point...

Also one note for /Astr4y:
I think boot time is important, because generally the startup of a computer and applications is how a person judges speed. I personally would like faster boot times, because while I leave my desktop on for months, I turn on and off my laptop often. I know there is software suspend, but someitmes I liek turning it off... the other times I just let it sleep.
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
noup wrote:
mikegpitt wrote:

Well others have pretty much replicated what I will say, but since the question was directed to me I'll respond too :)

Yes I would give a linux desktop to 'regular' people, and I have many times. Actually every time I have, they actually like it much better than Windows. Usually they are comming from a typical Windows machine where you would find lots of spyware and a virus or two. Some of them have just used Windows for a while, and the performance degraded over time (which is typical). They hear me talk about linux all the time and become interested... and love it.

I install gentoo on their system, because I feel I can customize it from scratch to suit them and their needs.

Although I had one friend who accidently deleted his boot partition, when messing around, later downloaded Ubuntu and Fedora and installed them himself. Rememebr this is not a hard core computer guy. Just a regular person. (He actually perfered Gentoo better, so I still need to reinstall for him.)

I could go on but there is no point...

Well, those are just people who find interest in it. I don't find many of those as you do, so as it seems. And also, i don't see them ever reinstalling an O.S., so they won't certainly try different linux distributions... So, i really don't think we're talking about the same kinds of people here. If everybody you talk to starts using linux, then why isn't everybody using linux? Is it because we don't talk and convince enough? I don't think so...
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killercow wrote:
What are we going to do to keep up with longhorn?

The question should be: "What will MS do to keep up with open source software?"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: