Gateway stops responding
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Gateway stops responding Reply with quote

I run a Gentoo gateway system that firewalls and serves my internal network, and over the last few days it has started to suddenly stop responding completely. I can't access it via ssh (my usual method) and there is no response when I hook up a monitor and keyboard — the only solution thus far is a hard reboot, and then it just seems to be a matter of time before it stops responding again.

I've had a bit of a look through the logs but I can't find anything that jumps out at me as being a problem, however I'm certainly no expert on this stuff. Can anybody give me some suggestions on what I can try looking at to find the source of the problem?
skunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just leave the monitor attached and wait until it hangs again so you can see if the kernel panics and any critical error that doesn't make into the syslog
Arny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give that a go when I have a chance, but are there any other suggestions in the meantime? Any specific logs I could check through quickly or anything like that? Thanks guys.
Arny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to get more information on my problem I've merged syslog-ng, replacing metalog which didn't seem to be recording everything. However, when I try and start it, I get this:

Code:
Marvin / # /etc/init.d/syslog-ng start                            [ ok ]
 * Starting syslog-ng...
 * Failed to start syslog-ng                                              [ !! ]

Any ideas? Anybody?
skunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try starting syslog-ng directly (not from the init script) to get an idea on what's wrong
else, from the syslog-ng man page:
Code:
-d, --debug
          Set "debug mode".  Prints out various messages to aid in debugging and stops it from becoming a daemon.

however even syslog-ng may miss writing to the log if the kernel panics, so leaving the monitor connected is still your best option
chips2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arny,

I'm having kind of the same problem.

Like you I have a comp setup as a firewall and some other bits that serve my internal network. However, normally if I hook up a monitor and keyboard and can see the login prompt but I am unable to type anything. But today I am able to type in my username but when I press enter, it just sits there. Interestingly, I am able to still access the Internet from my other computers with no problems.

chips2k
Arny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got syslog-ng going but I'm none the wiser despite more comprehensive logs. I also managed to hook up a monitor and see what happened; when the system stopped responding, the monitor stopped receiving a signal. There were no messages about kernel panics or anything like that. I'm totally lost, any other ideas?
skunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you are experiencing hardware problems (overheating?)
you can try to boot the ultimate boot cd and execute some cpu intensive tests/benchmarks just to be sure that the problem is hardware related
Arny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was afraid of that — I doubt it's overheating because it's pretty old hardware, and before this started happening it would be on 24/7 for months on end. Plus it's winter here ;)

Still, I guess it gives me a decent excuse to put together a new server and make use of that old Athlon XP 1800+ that's sitting out in the garage :D

Thanks for your help, I guess it was just this system's time, hehe
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: