Re-installing w/ out reformat
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Re-installing w/ out reformat Reply with quote

I had a lot of changes in system (-gnome,+fluxbox,etc.) and i have a lot of unneeded packages and libraries and other problems.. i'm thinking of doing this (please correct any step if you think it should be different):

1.Copy personal data/configs to a folder on / called backup
2.Boot from LiveCD mount all fs's chroot to my current root (without formatting) and deleting all besides lost+found and backup
3.Using the Developer's Method w/ NPTL or 2004.2 2.6/NPTL guide (please tell me if there is a newer one with NPTL) install stage1*.tar.gz into / and continue as usual
4.Finish installing everything (X, fluxbox,etc.)
5.Then finally copy all the files i need into my home
6.Smaller gentoo, better performance

I'm doing this weird method so I dont have to reformat and dont have to move the data to another HD possibly loosing the file attributes (owner, permissions)

Should I reconfigure all /etc/* files over or use the old ones (just for information)..
Here's the things im put in backup:
/etc/* (just incase)
~/music
~/documents
some ~/.*/ like fluxbox (what else?)

Any other things you think i should think about copying (except more home stuff)?
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. How do you reinstall ANY linux distro without reformat and expect a smaller installation? Your end result will be no different. I would think a reinstall w/o reformat would be done just to salvage a busted installation (sort of like a recovery disc or something to fix require system packages such as the first packages installed under a stage 1)....

I might be off track. If I am, ignore me. =)

If you're backing up critical files, what's the problem with reformatting the disk?
smerf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you want to reinstall linux? the only reason for reinstalling everything and reformatting partitions is when your machine gets hacked and you want to be sure that there no more rootkits, etc. and have no time/knowledge to securely fix it.
djm
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just do emerge -uavDN world (if you changed your USE flags), emerge -av depclean, revdep-rebuild, and you're done

Much easier than reinstalling...
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i did: depclean and it screwed my system over plus it didnt remove all gnome packages (gnome-terminal???! wtf?!.. didnt remove things that were dependant on other gnome things)
revdep-rebuild wants to install way too many packages that i never had

so ill just reinstall.. anyways i wasnt asking about whether to reinstall or not.. just if that was an ok way to do it?

Quote:
How do you reinstall ANY linux distro without reformat and expect a smaller installation

i just copy stuff to backup and remove (by hand) everything else
smerf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russianpirate wrote:
so ill just reinstall.. anyways i wasn't asking about whether to reinstall or not.. just if that was an ok way to do it?

okay, your machine your rules.

1) you don't have even touch your /home partition
2) make copy of /etc for your reference - you said you have problems - probably because of broken configuration files - it would be better to start with new ones, especially with your approach to fixing things :P
3) make a copy of your logs, kernel, bottmanager configs. note that some configuration files may be outside /etc (ie. qmail configuration)
4) put these things inside one partition, say /home - the rest may be safely reformatted.
5) smaller != faster - proper configuration is most important
6) you really have to do it... hmm... good luck :)
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/home is not a partition its a folder and when i extract stage1*.tar.gz it might overwrite some of the users.. and i dont need allll files in my home.. just important ones
smerf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russianpirate wrote:
/home is not a partition its a folder and when i extract stage1*.tar.gz it might overwrite some of the users.. and i dont need allll files in my home.. just important ones

so, you probably know at this point why separate /home is good :) It's based on my experience after migrating server (with about 50 users) from debian to Gentoo. Extracting stage won't hurt /home (it will probably overwrite only empty .keep file inside it) - of course you can rename it to whatever_you_like just to be sure :)
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well im going to livecd! Tell you the results late today or early tomorrow!
Kaapeli
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I did my system reinstall while ago:

1. Continue using the old system
  2. Make /newroot directory
  3. Extract the appropriate tarball under the /newroot directory
  4. Emerge system and other appropriate packages you need to boot under the new system
  5. Boot with a liveCD
  6. Make a /oldroot directory (in the root partition), move the content of the root partition under the oldroot directory
  7. Move the contents of the /oldroot/newroot directory to the root of the root partition
  8. Move appropriate files/folders from the old root directory to the new root directory (/etc/passwd, /home, etc...)
  9. Boot your system again, with the new root folder
  10. Do a "cat /oldroot/var/lib/portage/world | sort > old_world_file.txt" and then see what packages you need to install, only emerge those packages you really need.
  11. Copy appropriate old config files from /oldroot/etc to your new system
  12. Enjoy your new fresh system

Only difference that I had was that I kept the /oldroot and /newroot on their own partitions, therefore I had a chance to easily boot under my old system in case of a failure. And I didn't even need to boot with the LiveCD. Luckily I didn't need that option. The easiest thing was that I didn't need to spend time with configuring the packages again, I just copied the config files from my old system. Very easy and simple. The new system was fully usable within 24 hours (it took less than hour to configure things). Other good thing was that I could do the stage 2 installation under the old system, while using it normally. Basically the down time due to the reinstall was only about 16 hours, actually much less since I could restart services very quickly after the daemons had finished emerging.
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Installed fine.. configured mostly everything.. now installing Xorg yay.. no more gnome now my system is about 15gb (will be w/ flux).. and probably about 27 (instead of 30) when i install all my games (i might not tho)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: