nano no longer saves as unix (lf-only) files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sotha_sil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: nano no longer saves as unix (lf-only) files Reply with quote

Prior to posting this, the following were tried:

• man page
  • info
  • forum search
  • browsing the nano website
  • google search

Throughout this post I will be referring to dos text files and unix text files. By dos file I mean a file that uses CR-LF (carriage-return followed by a linefeed) pairs. By unix file, I mean a file that uses just LF (linefeed). Right, then: let's get to the actual question now.

If I edit a dos text file with nano, when I save, the file remains a dos text file when I save it. Up until two or three weeks ago, nano would always save a file, regardless of whether it was unix or dos, as unix (For the rare occasion when I wanted the file to remain as dos I'd use the "-dos" commandline option). Obviously something has changed, most likely at an "emerge world".

I would like to have nano behave the way it used to, saving always as unix.

So far, I have tweaked my ~/.nanorc file like so:
Code:

set fill 78
set morespace
set smooth
unset noconvert

The last line is the only thing I've tweaked since the change: I've only included the full file for the sake of completeness. I had hoped by unsetting "noconvert", it would convert to unix. The line has no effect, unfortunately.

What am I doing wrong?

How can I have nano behave as it has in the past?
sotha_sil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: [unsolved] --> workaround: blow off portage Reply with quote

So after a few weeks of no replies on this thread, and no success from trial and error, I concluded that there was a bug and reported this on the "bugzilla" bugtracker.

After some dialog with the folks at bugzilla, I was told to "use 1.3.8". Emerge/portage refused to do that. I checked my package.mask file: no nano masks in there so emerge had no reason to refuse it.

I unmerged (removed, uninstalled) nano and then grabbed the stable version from the nano web site and compiled it myself, outside of portage. Now nano works fine.

Hmm: I wonder if that would fix any of my other unsolved/unanswered gentoo problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: