Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
why removed gentoo-sources 2.6.11 frm portage !!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toofastforyahuh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, after problems with Red Hat's kernel packaging years ago, and genkernel's brokenness/untrustworthiness I learned you should only get kernels from kernel.org. Don't rely on distros to do it. If a distro really needs patches, it should be contributing them to the main codebase in the first place.

It's also good to scan the kernel.org changelogs occasionally. I saw enough comments about insufficient testing and brokenness to stay away from 2.6.12 entirely. CD burning broke in 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 as well. And I can't say I've been happy with the CPU time allocation in 2.6.11.10 either--the much-vaunted 2.6.x "responsiveness" is gone when running transcode now. So, in general, now isn't the time to play musical kernels. Stick with what works and leave it alone.
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brankob wrote:
Big post

I was just trying to give helpful suggestions as to how to minimise the likelyhood of screwing your system in the first place. That included rebooting to the older kernel that was working 2 minutes ago and reporting the bugs before you have much chance to break anything, as well as making regular backups of your working system.

I also offered what seemed to me to be a likely reason for 2.6.11 being removed from the tree (security bugs + many other things fixed in 2.6.12). I didn't mean to spark a big rant, and I'm sorry you've had such a poor experience with bugzilla. My bugzilla experience is pretty limited, I have only had 2 fairly trivial kernel problems, but I was very happy with how quickly they were solved.

Anyway, you have a couple of good points/questions and I for one can't answer them.
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewd18 wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-351048.html

Is that the ONLY reason why 2.6.11-r11 was removed from portage?
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
Is that the ONLY reason why 2.6.11-r11 was removed from portage?

I dunno. I originally posted that in error, although it was an issue. Easily solved issue, but an issue nonetheless.

~~ Andrew D.

There's no place like ::1
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keffin:

Sorry. Nothing personal. I was just steaming on "Gentoo issues" that have killed me many times.

Just quick recount:

-some time (6 months ?) ago, new and fresh version of STABLE portage have chosen to erase everything in my root directory when doing "emerge -up world" What is espacially ironic with this is that sandbox was responsible for this- the very mechanism that should protect me from s*it like this ! Not to mention that this was STABLE portage und that system URGED ME TO UPGRADE TO THIS (BROKEN) VERSION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE !

- samba was changed so that its password files were moved from /etc/password to /usr/share/samba. Even more, in first versions aftere the change they were moved,but samba has expected them on the old place, so it didn't work correctly. After that, this was corrected but it wasn't properly documented anywhere. After changing the files manually for thousandth time, I decided to compile the thing manually, and it worked ! I then examined configure options and ceme across relevant option and solved the problem.
Oh yeah, there might be yellow warning notice about this that flashed on the screen for the femtosecond while emerging the thing, but how was I suppose to see it ?

- a few versions of portage back, someone has decided to regroup some config files (again) without too much of documentation. Also, some things with network were rearanged and a few new options were added. Consequence of this is that after that, half of my services stopped working and I have to rearange their booting time and edit some of them to get them to work together. Even today, after several iterations of portage, proftpd start script doesn't work at the boot time.
It starts, but proftpd daemon dies. If I do "/etc/init.d/proftpd zap ; /etc/init.d/proftpd start", it starts working again normally.

- Transition from profile 2004.3 --->2005.0 absolutely sucks. I have 3 dual Opterons machines with very similar hardware and very similar software and portage policies. All machines are periodically updatedt and all are now on profile 2005.0. 32-bit environment works today only on one of them. Even if I forget the horrible update walk_through_the_minefield upgrade procedure for the moment, I can't overlook the fact that I have had workibng 32-bit environment on all of them and now it works only on one. Even this was not achieved without an effort- I had to repeat the procedure several times- after a while, multilib got borked on all of them.

- There is something VERY wrong with the textual terminal, at least in non-US locales and it affects the terminal as well as everything based on ncurses etc.
I was about to snap a picture of Midnight Commander and post it here, but I don't have an Apache at the moment on my DSL box , so it will have to wait.
It seems that whateverev is responsible for terminal emulation is not emulating all codes properly and that it gets the physical byte length of some caracters incorrectly. This means that for example, after typing in a few characters, I can backspace_erase my bash prompt and similar nonsense...
This happens on almost all of my machine2-32-bit and 64-bit alike. I have tried reemerging many things, from kernel sources , through glibc and various other libraries,ncuses etc etc etc without success.

-somebody has suggested using vanilla-sorces. I am using them at the moment (2.6.13-rc3) but this is not recommended, since vanilla-kernel team does not worry about stability of everything in every release. It si up to distribution personnel to patch and polish vanilla-kernel into their official kernel. So this means that gentoo-sources should be used for kernel.

These are just a few of all aches that pest me...
MAL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: enotice Reply with quote

brankob wrote:

- samba was changed so that its password files were moved from /etc/password to /usr/share/samba. Even more, in first versions aftere the change they were moved,but samba has expected them on the old place, so it didn't work correctly. After that, this was corrected but it wasn't properly documented anywhere. After changing the files manually for thousandth time, I decided to compile the thing manually, and it worked ! I then examined configure options and ceme across relevant option and solved the problem.
Oh yeah, there might be yellow warning notice about this that flashed on the screen for the femtosecond while emerging the thing, but how was I suppose to see it ?

Get yourself enotice:

http://www.fmp.com/enotice/
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11359

This should be in portage within the not too distant future. IMO it's a must, and I know many many people already use it.

brankob wrote:

- a few versions of portage back, someone has decided to regroup some config files (again) without too much of documentation. Also, some things with network were rearanged and a few new options were added. Consequence of this is that after that, half of my services stopped working and I have to rearange their booting time and edit some of them to get them to work together. Even today, after several iterations of portage, proftpd start script doesn't work at the boot time.
It starts, but proftpd daemon dies. If I do "/etc/init.d/proftpd zap ; /etc/init.d/proftpd start", it starts working again normally.

Again, using enotice would have meant you didn't miss the messages notifying you of the changes.

brankob wrote:

-somebody has suggested using vanilla-sorces. I am using them at the moment (2.6.13-rc3) but this is not recommended, since vanilla-kernel team does not worry about stability of everything in every release. It si up to distribution personnel to patch and polish vanilla-kernel into their official kernel. So this means that gentoo-sources should be used for kernel.

If it helps, I use vanilla kernels on several servers without issue - they are not "unpolished", they simply lack extra features. GLSAs will still keep you up to date with any security holes in vanilla-sources.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: