Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
why removed gentoo-sources 2.6.11 frm portage !!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: why removed gentoo-sources 2.6.11 frm portage !!! Reply with quote

yup que. is so clean.why removed?

2.6.12 is a shit.All broken,amsn webcam,strange X errors,ati-drivers,cpu scalin is all shit etc..this s the worst kernel i have ever seen.i want 2.6.11 back...

PS: only fbsplash working eheh : )
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-351048.html

There's no place like ::1
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have problem with splash.i only want 2.6.11 back.thats all
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I have to add that some things, done lately in gentoo/portage tree seem very weird from the ordinary users perspective.

Are things getting out of controll ?
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using gentoo from 1.2 and im angry now...gentoo s the fastest most powerfull distro..BUTBUTBUT there are lots of problems...not enough developers..amule 203 was realeased, looking portage and there is 2.0.1...i wont talk about mysql.
ppl working on wrong things.Gentoo should stop saying "arch arch".gentoo on xbox vsvs.wtf.

OOO GLSA..for example if u have pureftpd and there is a critical overflow etc.GLSA saying upgrading or downgrading package.Everyone can do this.just go a security site and there u can find which version is not vul.WTF.Security is not a version bump.Go bugtraq(secuirty bugtraqs) and get patches.Thats the solution.

AND now im fighting with "gcc internal compiler segfault" if i cannt find solution or binary package for gcc 3.4.4 multilib,im gonna use debian or slackware..

sorry for my bad ENglish
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTR kernel. Try latest vanilla - IIRC 2.6.13-rc3. I know poepoče sholdn't vanilla unpatch but it seems to work for me...
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i solved gcc segfault and now im gonna patch vanilla kernel myself 2.6.11

ty azarah for gcc binaries

http://dev.gentoo.org/~azarah/bins/
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewd18 wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-351048.html

Whoops. Sorry. "only fbsplash working" I must have translated to "I only want fbsplash to be working". <_<

Don't mind me.... *whistles and walks away*

~~ Andrew D.

tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.12 gave me some really strange CPU loads and 'ondemand' governor did not work. I've rolled back to 2.6.11-r11, fortunately before it was removed from portage... :roll:
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list of problems was a bit longer:

-nvidia drivers for nForce Pro for ethernet and audio won't compile for 2.6.12
-alsa don't work for me on 2.6.12*. It compiles everythimg but main module...
-fb drivers, like vesafb, nvidiafb or rivafb mess kernel compilation, so even kernel doesn't compile right with them.

Kernel should be the one thing where *all* versions should be supported. One can never know how the kernel behaves on other machines and if all the users that need to recompile it can survive pulling the rug under their feet...
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brankob wrote:
My list of problems was a bit longer:

-nvidia drivers for nForce Pro for ethernet and audio won't compile for 2.6.12
-alsa don't work for me on 2.6.12*. It compiles everythimg but main module...
-fb drivers, like vesafb, nvidiafb or rivafb mess kernel compilation, so even kernel doesn't compile right with them.

Kernel should be the one thing where *all* versions should be supported. One can never know how the kernel behaves on other machines and if all the users that need to recompile it can survive pulling the rug under their feet...

hi

1 nforce ethernet and audio works fine
2 idont know kernel provided alsa but alsa-drivers works.its okey.
3 vesafb is okey too..

BUT

it can be genkernel issue (i hate genkernel).my friend has lots of issues with splash when compiling with genkernel..

u should

1-Make forcedeth driver; module.not inside kernel..
2-disable alsa in kernel and emerge alsa-driver.before emerging put ALSA_CARDS="intel8x0" in ur make.conf
3-manuel compile
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are comparing apples to oranges. nForce Pro <> nForce.

nForce Pro has special nVidia's hardware for TCP/IP checksumming etc and its Gigabit Ethernet, not 100 Mbit.
Forcedeth barely works on my board. That means that it works, but only in 100 Mbit mode and it faints when it sees a jumboframe or something unexpected happens on the network.

AFAIK genkernel is not the same as gentoo-sources. It is a script that compiles the sources for you and it might or might not use the same options that you would compile manually.
I had not have any luck with gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r6 (and former releases, like -r4) with sound, and I have tried both- built-in drivers and alsa-drivers...
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brankob wrote:
You are comparing apples to oranges. nForce Pro <> nForce.

nForce Pro has special nVidia's hardware for TCP/IP checksumming etc and its Gigabit Ethernet, not 100 Mbit.
Forcedeth barely works on my board. That means that it works, but only in 100 Mbit mode and it faints when it sees a jumboframe or something unexpected happens on the network.

AFAIK genkernel is not the same as gentoo-sources. It is a script that compiles the sources for you and it might or might not use the same options that you would compile manually.
I had not have any luck with gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r6 (and former releases, like -r4) with sound, and I have tried both- built-in drivers and alsa-drivers...

opss srry i didnt see that "PRo" : ) i know genkernel.

u compile a kernel with genkernel.and it gives an error for example.u cannot be sure its cuz of kernel or genkernel.there might be a bug in genkernel right?(not talking about ur problem its general)

compiling (same config) with genkernel i have lots of error and then i compile manuel works perfect.i dont like it thats what i think
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why portage doesn't remove older versions of the kernel when it installs new ones. If a newer version brakes for you the old one is still sat there, unless of course you went and deleted it before making sure there were no problems with the newer version...

If you didn't specifically delete/overwrite the older kernel you can just edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to point to the old version again (and in future add newer kernels as an extra option, not overwriting the old one!).

Or, if you need to compile again and didn't specifically emerge -C gentoo-sources-older-version, you can do this:
Code:
cd /usr/src
ln  -sf  gentoo-sources-whatever-version-you-want  linux

then go through your regular method of kernel compilation. And don't remove the old kernel until you're sure you have a newer one that works!
kastorff
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brankob wrote:

Correct, it is not kernel sources. It will allow you to compile a kernel using any option you could use manually. menuconfig is menuconfig, however you run it. All genkernel does automate the process a bit. :wink:
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keffin wrote:
This is why portage doesn't remove older versions of the kernel when it installs new ones. If a newer version brakes for you the old one is still sat there, unless of course you went and deleted it before making sure there were no problems with the newer version...

If you didn't specifically delete/overwrite the older kernel you can just edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to point to the old version again (and in future add newer kernels as an extra option, not overwriting the old one!).

Or, if you need to compile again and didn't specifically emerge -C gentoo-sources-older-version, you can do this:
[code]cd /usr/src
ln -sf gentoo-sources-whatever-version-you-want linux[/code:1:aafeb6d7e3]
then go through your regular method of kernel compilation. And don't remove the old kernel until you're sure you have a newer one that works!

I use a different solution - I have a stable, not depending on external modules, kernel in my boot partition. So if a new kernel does not work I can boot the rescue kernel and rebuild a new / old working kernel. The advantage is that I can do a cp .../bzImage /boot and do not have to cope with versions in name or grub due to the rescue kernel being named bzImageRescue or similar.

OT: I dont think this topic belongs into this category because it is not specifically related to AMD64
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i deleted /usr/src/sadadasdasd

anyway i patched vanilla kernel and fine here.
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

his is why portage doesn't remove older versions of the kernel when it installs new ones. If a newer version brakes for you the old one is still sat there, unless of course you went and deleted it before making sure there were no problems with the newer version...

Buit what happens, if you have constantly 6-7 versions in grub.conf and you have to patch every version that comes up with your drivers (nVidia or ralink's wireless rt2500, for example) and you delete sources of the old gentoo-sources kernel by accident or yourr patch damages it ?
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brankob wrote:
Quote:

his is why portage doesn't remove older versions of the kernel when it installs new ones. If a newer version brakes for you the old one is still sat there, unless of course you went and deleted it before making sure there were no problems with the newer version...

Buit what happens, if you have constantly 6-7 versions in grub.conf and you have to patch every version that comes up with your drivers (nVidia or ralink's wireless rt2500, for example) and you delete sources of the old gentoo-sources kernel by accident or yourr patch damages it ?

As long as your /usr/src/linux symlink points to your current kernel, when you re-patch, it should go only to the new kernel, touching nothing else. nVidia drivers work that way, ndiswrapper works that way, and most other good drivers do too.

~~ Andrew D.

brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but that wasn't the question/problem. I know I have to point the /usr/linux to the right kernel.

Let me give you an example:

Let's suppose that I have determined through the trial & error method that gentoo-sources-2.6.1-r10 is the last version that works sufficently well on my machine and that nVidia's closed source drivers for Ethernet and Audio for my nForce Pro can be installed on. If I try to install those drivers on anything higher than that, instalation script says that modules can not be compiled and dies.

So I stay with 2.6.11-r10 for a while and some day, during playing with newer versions I accidentaly erase/break sources /usr/src/linux-gentoo-2.6.11-r10.

After trying to reemerge them portage says that this ebuild is no longer in portage tree.

What now ?

:roll:
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brankob wrote:
Sure, but that wasn't the question/problem. I know I have to point the /usr/linux to the right kernel.

Let me give you an example:

Let's suppose that I have determined through the trial & error method that gentoo-sources-2.6.1-r10 is the last version that works sufficently well on my machine and that nVidia's closed source drivers for Ethernet and Audio for my nForce Pro can be installed on. If I try to install those drivers on anything higher than that, instalation script says that modules can not be compiled and dies.

So I stay with 2.6.11-r10 for a while and some day, during playing with newer versions I accidentaly erase/break sources /usr/src/linux-gentoo-2.6.11-r10.

After trying to reemerge them portage says that this ebuild is no longer in portage tree.

What now ?

Well first you file a bug in bugzilla with as much information as you can about whatever it is that doesn't compile with the new kernel. This will either result in buying your version more time in the portage tree or even better and more likely, solve your problem.

If something gets removed from the tree there is usually a good reason. In this case I am guessing some security issues combined with no big outstanding problems reported after moving to 2.6.12. Why try to backport a whole bunch of patches (some of which may have caused the problem) when 2.6.12 is considered stable and nobody has reported a problem with it?

You could also be more careful to try and curb the accidental erasure/breakage of things ;). You should very rarely be using the root account, which is the only way you can screw this stuff up. It is also sensible to regularly back up your system (see the "easily create a stage 4 backup" thread in docs/tips/tricks), and have your /boot on a seperate partition that is not normally mounted (this is as per the default gentoo handbook install).
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well first you file a bug in bugzilla with as much information as you can about whatever it is that doesn't compile with the new kernel. This will either result in buying your version more time in the portage tree or even better and more likely, solve your problem.

1. If my network is not working, and I have DSL modem on my eth0 how am I supposed to do that ?

2. I did post several kernel related budg in bugzilla and I can tel you that this kind of bugs tend to wait for resolution for a looong time. This is understandable, since main players ( kernel guys) are the one to do something, gentoo guys can only help with trivial problems with small patches. Based on my up-to-date statistics about kernel bugs I can tell you that merely posting a bug WILL MOST PROBABLY NOT going to help you, at least not in the time frame you are prepared to wait without the useable machine.

<b>
If something gets removed from the tree there is usually a good reason. In this case I am guessing some security issues combined with no big outstanding problems reported after moving to 2.6.12. Why try to backport a whole bunch of patches (some of which may have caused the problem) when 2.6.12 is considered stable and nobody has reported a problem with it?
</b>

And why not just mark 2.6.11-r11 as not suitable for amd64 ? Besides that, I would really want to hear about this good reason. What was the reason for removing it ?

And don't get me started about this "nobody has reported a problem with it".

Thera are so many problems wtih things in portage tree that I suppose users are silelntly waiting for things to resolve rather than posting bugs. If I had posted a bug for everything that doesn't work on my machine, I would be doing just that most of the time. People are much more used to get around bugs if they can. Once you spend several hours screwing around with some bug and finally made something to work, how likely are you to search through the bugzilla for previous reports o the bug, file a new report, wait, and eventually get an answer, that either:

- this is a bug that has been killed long time ago. You must be imagining things.
- they can't reproduce a bug.

<b>
You could also be more careful to try and curb the accidental erasure/breakage of things ;). You should very rarely be using the root account, which is the only way you can screw this stuff up. It is also sensible to regularly back up your system (see the "easily create a stage 4 backup" thread in docs/tips/tricks), and have your /boot on a seperate partition that is not normally mounted (this is as per the default gentoo handbook install).
</b>

IMHO that applies just as well to many people in gentoo team screwing around with portage tree as well as it does for me.
Besides, how am I supposed to apply for example realtime patch without toot access ?
Let suppoese that I do " emerge realtime", the thing tries to patch kernel sources and fails, so now I have possibly broken sources which I do not trust. What now ?

Seriously, folks at gentoo could realy use big dose of QA.

I can't recount how many times I have broken things by merely updating stable packages- doing nothing fancy.

brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot to quote your replise and used <b> instead. I hope it is still legible...
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one, there are major problems with the 2.6.12 kernels. If you have to patch to make things work, then garbage kernel. I just did a fresh install on my AMD64 3200 and the kernel 2.6.12 causes no audio, ATI drivers don't load, and random lock ups.

Downgraded to kernel 2.6.11r6 and all but sound problems went away. Thank god I had other machines that had the lower kernels on them.

The kernel 2.6.12 should be in the ~ section till all the bugs are worked out so that people can get a stable kernel. They took kde 3.4 awhile to get over to released status because they wanted it to work good for everyone, but kernel released with major issues.
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lotw wrote:
For one, there are major problems with the 2.6.12 kernels.

I have not had an issue with a 2.6.12 kernel at my house yet, on any of my Linux boxes. The upgrade from 2.6.11 was smooth and painless.

~~ Andrew D.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: