Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why don't you support your favourite platform ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duglambier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Why don't you support your favourite platform ? Reply with quote

Hi !

I am very very upset when lookint at the Linux Games sales.
A very very successfull Linux Games can reach 2 000 sales today (it was 10 000 when Loki was alive in 2 000, a successfull Mac Games can reach 50 000 sales)
I don't take into account games Linux Doom 3, NeverWinter Nights or Unreal Tournament 2004, because it's a native Windows games were Linux binaries are available.

I don't understand this situation.
Few commercial Linux games outperform the 500 sale's Limit.

Some people say that the commercial games are old and are available on Windows for 2 years : does it means you use Linux for programming and Windows for performing normal tasks ?

Some people say that the Linux Games are too expansive. That's a fact, but is it more expensive than a Wine X subscription or a 3-months internet access subscription ?

There are plenty of cool games available on the net.

For instance, you can take a llok at :
http://www.tuxgames.com/details.cgi?nc=1119709895&gameref=130

Or here :
http://www.tuxgames.com/details.cgi?nc=1119710409&gameref=125

Or here :
http://www.linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3?prod_code=S000-241&id=C1CqZIdm8k8CX

Or here :
http://www.jeuxlinux.com/produits/savage/

So why don't you support your favourite platform ?
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of a game that runs natively on linux, has no windows port and you must pay for it. Care to enlighten me?
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own savage
I don't want postal... because it's postal, 'nuff said.
the other two, I've never heard of.
duglambier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
Never heard of a game that runs natively on linux, has no windows port and you must pay for it. Care to enlighten me?

Robin Hood and Savage run natively on Linux, the other two also !
duglambier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liff wrote:
I own savage

Robin Hood : the legend of sherwood is a game similar to Commando, but with more actions and reflexions.
You can download the demo here :
http://www.3ddownloads.com/Strategy/Robin%20Hood/Demos

As for Barkanoid 2, it is a Breakout game, similar to Arkanoid, with much better graphics and sounds....
bonbons
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duglambier wrote:
Liff wrote:
I own savage

Robin Hood : the legend of sherwood is a game similar to Commando, but with more actions and reflexions.
You can download the demo here :
http://www.3ddownloads.com/Strategy/Robin%20Hood/Demos
The question of Lepaca Kliffoth was what games for Linux are there that do NOT exist for Windows and are commercial.

For your Demo of Robin Hood, there is also one listed for Windows, and the Windows one is older... So it's not even a Linux game ported to Windows but it's the other way round...

In addition, I have not seen Linux games in the games-shop at the corner... not even games where Windows and Linux are included in the same box :? So how shall we buy Linux games if they are not even available 8O (those who play most are those without credit card...)
Fuchs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Neverwinther nights with an add-on,
I bought UT, UT2003, UT2004 and Quake 3 Arena.

I bought them because many of my friends play
these games too (they use windows), and so
we can play togehter over the net or at a LAN-Party.

I wouldn't buy Linux-only games, because I want
to play together with my friends, and most of
them use windows.

I also wouldn't buy a game just because there is
a linuxclient for it.
bonbons
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuchs wrote:
I bought them because many of my friends play
these games too (they use windows), and so
we can play togehter over the net or at a LAN-Party.

I wouldn't buy Linux-only games, because I want
to play together with my friends, and most of
them use windows.

I also wouldn't buy a game just because there is
a linuxclient for it.
That's my thoughts as well, just bad that it's very hard to find any Linux version of a game in some shop.

In addition to my knowledge there are no (popular) Strategy games available for Linux (and I guess with Microsoft owning Ensemble Studio we will not see AoE for Linux any soon)

Game producers should sell boxes with binaries for both platforms right from the launch! (And also with 32bit as well as 64bit binaries!)
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought UT, UT2004, Doom 3, and RTCW. Good games take good budgets, and developing for Linux-only isn't cost effective, therefore the best games are Windows games with Linux ports if we're lucky. I only buy GOOD games. They just happen to have Linux ports most of the time.
Fuchs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonbons wrote:
Fuchs wrote:
[..]
That's my thoughts as well, just bad that it's very hard to find any Linux version of a game in some shop.

In addition to my knowledge there are no (popular) Strategy games available for Linux (and I guess with Microsoft owning Ensemble Studio we will not see AoE for Linux any soon)

Game producers should sell boxes with binaries for both platforms right from the launch! (And also with 32bit as well as 64bit binaries!)

Mh, many games with Linuxclients (such as NWN, UT2004 or Quake 3) are
available in shops here... However, I order them at my favourite online store.

And in the ut2004 box are binarys for both systems (lin and win) where
included, and afaik there is also a binary for 64bit systems.
So hopefully more puplishers will follow this example...

Well, Starcraft runs under Linux (bought it) via Winex or Cedega (maybe
even with "normal" wine). Warcraft 3 runs with WineX, there is even a
workaround for using battleNET.
However, I still have a small Windows XP partition on my Laptop
(WinXP was included, so why not use it) for all the games that
don't run under Linux, such as Flatout.
ansient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have little interest in games that only run on Linux. Games should run on all major platforms.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arainach wrote:
I've bought UT, UT2004, Doom 3, and RTCW. Good games take good budgets, and developing for Linux-only isn't cost effective, therefore the best games are Windows games with Linux ports if we're lucky. I only buy GOOD games. They just happen to have Linux ports most of the time.

... What are you talking about? Developing cross-platform games is simple if you design it with portability in mind. Using SDL with OpenGL, OpenAL and other open, cross-platform libraries should make porting from operating system to operating system as easy as recompiling it. Just look at UT2004 - the port is maintained by a different group, but Epic Games managed to get the Unreal engine running on the PS3's hardware in two months.

Companies which make Windows-only games are lazy. Don't let them trick you into thinking its any harder - they just like DirectX, and thus will use it.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
ChojinDSL
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, lets not forget how many of us already own a game for which a linux client was released afterwards.
UT2003/4 might have had a linux client in the box, but what about quake3, doom3 or stuff like that? A client got released afterwards which requires the windows version to install. Im pretty sure those sales arent taken into consideration.
Then there are those of us who use wine or cedega and have bought games which have no native port, but we still dont play them under windows.

Given the current situation I guess it makes it kind of difficult to somewhat accurately estimate just how many sales of a particular game are intended for linux.

It would be a different situation if there was a simultaenously released LINUXONLY version, or shortly after the initial windows release, then you could have a proper linux sale confirmation.

Personally I prefer it when a released game is multiplatform, either via a linux client thats already on the disc, or via a downloadable linux client. Certainly gives the user much more bang for their buck.

That being said, I also think that Epic & ID Software's approach is the way to go. Have the game use universal data files, and only the actual client to be platform specific. Furthermore, as has been said before, its a big difference if a game was designed to be multiplatform from the start. Im sure it not only makes other ports easier, but also has the potential to make the codebase much more robust, since you cant rely too much on OS specific hacks.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only run free software games. Commercial games hold no interest for me. *shrugs*

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No postal? What the hell is wrong with you? Well, I guess it takes something wrong with you to enjoy it. :) I love postal 2, and I'm currently in windows, wishing I could play it. Gotta wait to get my new CPU so I can set up the dedicated linux rig. I won't dual boot, and I'm tired of switching OS's. Having two computers that can switch back and forth from is going to be awesome...

And I've been meaning to ask, what is this claim to fame bit? Is IRCMonkey like, popular or something?
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChojinDSL wrote:
That being said, I also think that Epic & ID Software's approach is the way to go. Have the game use universal data files, and only the actual client to be platform specific.

Word. UT works perfectly - once the next one is out (2007?) I will be buying it, and it shall not be tainted by Windows. But who would they count that as a sale for? Windows, presumably.

Until some game company actually gets out there and makes a serious game with a Linux-only version, it will be impossible to tell whether Linux users are buying them or not.
IvanHoe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only game you have listed there that looks even remotely interesting to me is Robin Hood. Since you brought it to my attention I'll check out the demo. If I like it then I'll purchase a copy.

BTW, I don't see anything wrong with a game company producing Linux, Mac and Windows executables that use the same data files. I just wish more game companies would produce Linux executables.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most commercial Linux games are first person shooters or concentrate on networked play. I bought CTP and SMAC when they became available for Linux, and would pay for Civ3 again if it is ported despite already owning the original, PTW, and Conquests. Adventures such as Gabriel Knight and The Dig are also rare if not non-existent (there was Hopkin's FBI) for Linux.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don't you support your favourite platform ? Reply with quote

duglambier wrote:

I don't take into account games Linux Doom 3, NeverWinter Nights or Unreal Tournament 2004, because it's a native Windows games were Linux binaries are available.

So? You did purchase yours from Tuxgames, right? Those are still reported as Linux sales.

Quote:
I don't understand this situation.
Few commercial Linux games outperform the 500 sale's Limit.

I understand it pretty well. What I am about to say is my opinion, and if it offends anyone, tough cookies. :wink:

Gamers are a fickle, self-centered bunch that want instant gratification. If the Linux version of a game doesn't ship in the same box on the same day, they'll buy the Windows version and happily dual-boot. Even if a Linux version is in the same box, it counts as a Windows sale, because these same gamers aren't going to let their friends play a new game for even a day while they wait for their copy to ship from who knows where just so it can be counted as a Linux sale. The simple truth is that without completely changing the gaming culture, Linux games simply aren't going to do nearly as well as their Windows counterparts. How many people do you know that have more than one console, and will buy a game for the first console it is released on, rather than the best console? Add to the fact that most of the "Linux gamers" are people playing Windows games under Linux via a commercial API layer, and it simply shows companies that spending any money supporting Linux is a waste of time. Serious gamers, the ones that spend lots of money on gaming, run Windows. Casual gamers, the ones who pick up a game every now and then, run Windows. The only people that run Linux games are Linux users, whom occasionally game. It's that simple.

Quote:
Some people say that the commercial games are old and are available on Windows for 2 years : does it means you use Linux for programming and Windows for performing normal tasks ?

I would be more inclined to say that these people run Linux until they come acros some application or game that they want to use/play, then boot into Windows. Many only have Windows around simply for gaming. A "Wintendo", if you will.

Quote:
Some people say that the Linux Games are too expansive. That's a fact, but is it more expensive than a Wine X subscription or a 3-months internet access subscription ?

Paying Transgaming is not supporting Linux. It is supporting Transgaming and also telling game publishers that you're willing to use some third-party application to get worse performance and only a subset of the features, rather than having a native port.

Quote:
There are plenty of cool games available on the net.

Agreed. There are also a good number of free games, and even open source games, that are quite good.
jkomar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Why don't you support your favourite platform ? Reply with quote

wolf31o2 wrote:
So? You did purchase yours from Tuxgames, right? Those are still reported as Linux sales.

There are a number of other small online e-taillers popping up here and there as well. You can see them through the partner links at publisher sites like Linux Game Publishing and Rune Soft. Hopefully this is a sign of some growth in the Linux gaming industry. Running one of these shops myself however, I can say that at this point the gaming portion of my business is very highly subsidized by the rest of my business. If Linux gaming was my whole business I would have had to pack it in months ago. I am sticking with it because I think Linux is a great OS and things like the availability of commercial games will lead to furthering its widespread acceptance. It seems that more and more software houses are porting software to Linux these days.

Cheers,
Jason
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Why don't you support your favourite platform ? Reply with quote

wolf31o2 wrote:

Gamers are a fickle, self-centered bunch that want instant gratification. If the Linux version of a game doesn't ship in the same box on the same day, they'll buy the Windows version and happily dual-boot. Even if a Linux version is in the same box, it counts as a Windows sale, because these same gamers aren't going to let their friends play a new game for even a day while they wait for their copy to ship from who knows where just so it can be counted as a Linux sale. The simple truth is that without completely changing the gaming culture, Linux games simply aren't going to do nearly as well as their Windows counterparts. How many people do you know that have more than one console, and will buy a game for the first console it is released on, rather than the best console? Add to the fact that most of the "Linux gamers" are people playing Windows games under Linux via a commercial API layer, and it simply shows companies that spending any money supporting Linux is a waste of time. Serious gamers, the ones that spend lots of money on gaming, run Windows. Casual gamers, the ones who pick up a game every now and then, run Windows. The only people that run Linux games are Lin

I'm going to go right ahead and agree with you.
The reason i'm on linux is cause I suck at gaming (or my mates are way better than me ). So for me the switch back whenever i did it faced on less hurdle.
Still I enjoy a round of Doom3 etc.. but my day to day life is not driven but those things
Gentii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamers can use linux as their major/only platform. They just have to pick a native linux game and stick with it. Even if you play this game 10 hours a day during 2 months or more, you'll never reach the top, though it's the only way to actually progress.
What I just want to say is that one game is enough, even for people who plays a lot... So a gamer can use linux.
Kern3lP4nic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
I only run free software games. Commercial games hold no interest for me. *shrugs*

Is system shock 2 gone free software? I ask because I assume by your avatar you liked it... at least as much as I did
xordan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use linux as my main platform and use it to play any games which are either native, or run decently in cedega. Anything that I want to play that doesn't work on linux in any form I play in windows which I keep on my second HDD. And I'm pretty happy with that. If there's more support for games on linux it just means I have to dual-boot less often, which I think is great. I'm more interested in things actually working, whatever form that is, either native or on a emulation layer, than trying to get game developers to write games native for linux. More game developers will write games for linux when they think they can make more money from it, not because there's a 1% minority who wish it. Anything commercial will do what it can to make the most money, which is the whole point of commercial.
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a Linux game provided it is of interest to me, not just because it's a linux game.
Currently there's nothing of interest on the market. Last Linux game i enjoyed that was sold as a seperated Linux game was Tribes 2 by Loki in 2001, Ut2k4 is a mixed cd, doom3 is a win32 cd + downloadable installer.
I would love to buy native ports of games like Tribes:Vengeance, Battlefield2 or HalfLife2.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: