Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing using GRP - How to install the kernel ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jemt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Installing using GRP - How to install the kernel ? Reply with quote

Hi experts :)

I was wondering how to install a kernel for my Gentoo system. I am using the manual here :
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.0/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap7

As you can see I am adviced to do an 'emerge gentoo-sources' - but isn't that a mistake? It /should/ be a manual for performing a Networkless Installation. What I would like to do is to install a prebuild, generic kernel using the Live CD og Package CD.

I would /really/ appriciate some help. This has kept me from using Gentoo for quite some years - thanks :)
lnxz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genkernel is a tool that will allow you to automaticly build a kernel, if that is what you're after, but it's really way better to do this yourself, because this gives you experience and enables you to customize the kernel to fit exactly your needs.

I do believe that a kernel of some sort is included amongst the GRP packages, and if it isn't then the GRP thingy is really silly, because you need to have a kernel to be able to build a system.
What happens when you run emerge gentoo-sources?
djm
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The universal liveCD should have kernel sources on it (you might have to find out which version it is, and explicitly emerge that version)

There are no packages of prebuilt kernels, but it is possible to copy the kernel that the liveCD uses
Jemt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnxz > I know about Genkernel. What I don't understand is, that the manual dosn't explain how to build or install the kernel when performing a connectionless installation. Well, the manual is far from perfects - that's for sure :)

Anyways - I still can't seem to figure out how to install the kernel. I have chrooted into my new environment - but what do I do now? Where is the kernel, how do I install it etc?

By the way - I am /not/ interested in building my own kernel. Don't see why I should use hours and hours to build something that has already been build. Yes yes, I know that you might get like 500% more performance - don't really care. I prefer keeping things simple :)

djm > How do I emerge something from the CD? Are you sure that there is no prebuild kernel available?

- Thanks for all your help so far :)
lnxz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used either genkernel or tried a netless install, I just assumed there would be a package containing a kernel source from which the user could compile a working kernel, I didn't mean a prebuilt kernel.
djm
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemt wrote:
djm > How do I emerge something from the CD? Are you sure that there is no prebuild kernel available?

I'm sure that there was no prebuilt kernel not all that long ago, and afaik there still isn't.

If you don't mind using genkernel, then:
What happens if you try emerge genkernel?

(If you get problems with the emerge of gentoo-sources, then (assuming that you've copied the source files from the CD to /usr/portage/distfiles), do
Code:
find /usr/portage/distfiles -name 'genpatches*'
to find out what version of gentoo-sources you have the sources of, and emerge =gentoo-sources-<VERSION>, then try emerging genkernel again)

It's probably possible to use the kernel that the liveCD uses (though afaik you can't install it using portage) - see if searching brings anything up
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemt wrote:
How do I emerge something from the CD? Are you sure that there is no prebuild kernel available?
Well, if you really want to I suppose you could copy the kernel image, the initrd file and the modules from the cd.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Jemt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all your guys. I'll give it a try :)
Jemt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut > Btw - It is exactly what I want - a generic kernel like the one on the LiveCD. I want full hardware support so that I don't haft to rebuild og re-compile my kernel every time i buy new hardware :)

How do I copy the nessacery files from the live CD to my system? I'm not really sure where to look for them or where to copy them.
lnxz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't looked around on the livecd for a while so I can't really remember.
Isn't there a /boot directory on the livecd? If there is, that's where the kernel resides, the biggest file is probably the kernel, and you probably need the initrd file, it there is one.
I think also the config for the livecd kernel can be found in /proc/config.gz.
Insinde chroot do "emerge <kernel>".
Exit chroot, run "gzcat /proc/config.gz > /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux", run "make && make modules_install" inside /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux, then copy /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /mnt/gentoo/boot.
/usr/src/linux is a just a symlink to the folder where the actual kernel source resides, so you have to make sure it exists.
Haven't done this myself from the live cd, so you probably have to adjust commands and paths according to your system and the live cd.
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemt wrote:

lnxz > I know about Genkernel. What I don't understand is, that the manual dosn't explain how to build or install the kernel when performing a connectionless installation. Well, the manual is far from perfects - that's for sure :)

I can quarantee there's a note about networkless installation - read carefully.

Jemt wrote:

Anyways - I still can't seem to figure out how to install the kernel. I have chrooted into my new environment - but what do I do now? Where is the kernel, how do I install it etc?

Follow the handbook - it's clearly explained there. FYI, the source of the kernel can be downloaded from ftp.kernel.org or copied over from the second CD (package CD).

Jemt wrote:

By the way - I am /not/ interested in building my own kernel.

You should! :twisted: :wink:

Jemt wrote:

Don't see why I should use hours and hours to build something that has already been build. Yes yes, I know that you might get like 500% more performance - don't really care. I prefer keeping things simple :)

People say MDK is simple :twisted: Seriously, it's Gentoo style to have everything compiled from source (even if it's not neccessary:P). Accept that or reconsider your choice of distribution.
Another thing is that building your custom kernel IS in fact the simplier way...

Jemt wrote:

- Thanks for all your help so far :)

No, there's no prebuilt kernel image. You can, however, copy one from an other distro or use genkernel to have it created for you.
Regarding installing from CD: There're two types of pkgs on the cds - one is tar.{gz, bz2} and the second is .tbz2 (gentoo pkg format).

For the first one:
Use 'cp' to copy :) the files from the CD to /usr/portage/distfiles and use emerge <package> to install.

For the second:
Either copy a file from /CD_LOCATION/packages/All/ to /usr/portage/packages/All or export PKGDIR shell variable to match the location of the pkg on the cd.

Both alternatives are described in the handbook.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: