Playing Audio CD's via CDRW drive, drive spins up and down
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Playing Audio CD's via CDRW drive, drive spins up and down Reply with quote

When I play CD's through my DVD drive, audio cd's play as they should, but whenever I use my cdrw, the drive spins up, plays the cd for about 4-5 seconds, then spins up, plays for 4-5 seconds, rinse & repeate. I do not have any audio cable connecting the drives to the soundcard because the soundcard only has one in-line, and with two drives, 2\=1, so you can all see the problem. Just to try to narrow the problem down, I tested the drive while in Gnome, using gnomecd. I'm thinking this could possibly be a gnome-volume-manager issue, but the thing that's confusing me is why only one of the drives is having this issue, when the other drive functions properly?
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess would be that while using your CDRW, the player is sampling the content and restitutes it via a wave (not an audio reading directly from the CD). Thus, it uses the cache mechanism that it fills upon requirements. As your CDRW is certainly fast (surely over 48 times a normal CD reading), it takes more time to spin the CD to its 48x speed than to read it. The easiest way to avoid this issue is to make your CDRW spin with a lower speed. Try something like this when you read audio from it:
Code:
eject -x4 /dev/cdrw

Registered user #30505
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:
My first guess would be that while using your CDRW, the player is sampling the content and restitutes it via a wave (not an audio reading directly from the CD). Thus, it uses the cache mechanism that it fills upon requirements. As your CDRW is certainly fast (surely over 48 times a normal CD reading), it takes more time to spin the CD to its 48x speed than to read it. The easiest way to avoid this issue is to make your CDRW spin with a lower speed. Try something like this when you read audio from it:
Code:
eject -x4 /dev/cdrw

And how would I encorporate this with gnomecd and when set with automatically playing CD's when they're inserted?
pem
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you should check if it works first. If so, I think that only a change in the code of gnomecd can provide you what you're seeking.
For that, you can fill a bug / change request to the gnome developper and ask them if they can spin down the cdrom reader when the playing is beginning. I'm sure the guys know pretty well which ioctl to use. :wink:
Registered user #30505
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pem wrote:
Well, you should check if it works first. If so, I think that only a change in the code of gnomecd can provide you what you're seeking.
For that, you can fill a bug / change request to the gnome developper and ask them if they can spin down the cdrom reader when the playing is beginning. I'm sure the guys know pretty well which ioctl to use. :wink:

Well, the eject -x4 /dev/cdrom worked, and gnomecd is playing the cd fine for now. I guess it's worth asking the gnome devs. Thanks mate
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: