Toshiba Portege 2010 pcmcia cdrom won't boot livecd SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnat79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Toshiba Portege 2010 pcmcia cdrom won't boot livecd SOLVED Reply with quote

I can't install Gentoo because the livecd won't boot all the way. It starts the boot sequence and then hangs up when it can't find the cdrom that it's booting from ;) Silly thing! It's like looking for your glasses when you're wearing them. Anyway, I'm sure there is a way around this problem, but it's probably not by using the livecd.

I searched these forums and found where someone else with the same make and model is having the same trouble.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-291284-highlight-2010+toshiba.html

I don't want to try to get the livecd to boot anymore, but I do think it would be nice to get Gentoo on this laptop all the same. I'd like some ideas on an easy way, or the easiest way in your opinion.

I have Mandrake 10.1 on it now (I don't like mandrake, gotta get rid of it). Can I use that installation to somehow get all stage and snapshot on the hard drive and then ummm... that's where I get lost. I have to format the hard drive, (it's a 20gb) some how...... Also, I thought about using Knoppix to get started, but I'm not sure that I can do that since it will tie up the cdrom when I would need it to copy files over.

Well, I turn this loose for comments. Please post some ideas, even if they suck. They have to be better than mine so far. :D

Thanks!

Last edited by gnat79 on Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Knoppix install. Details are found in the alternitive installation guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

You don't need to worry about the cdrom being tied up, since you can download all the files you need from the net.
gnat79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't know about that page. I'm pretty sure it will take care of my problems. I'm already downloading Knoppix. Will add SOLVED later just in case.

Actually, I'm going to wait on this for a couple weeks. I think I can manage it, but I want to wait until I move to school and have that ethernet hookup :-)
gnat79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten Gentoo installed on this computer. To summarize, it was easy. I booted into my Mandrake installation, copied the files over, extracted them, chrooted and went on like the instructions say to do. (that's the x86 install guide).

For the details on it, should you desire to read them, please see my website; the link is below.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: