gamecube emulator for linux?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: gamecube emulator for linux? Reply with quote

Anyone had any success on any emulator for gamecube in linux, after thinking seriously about systems for a while i've decide that of all the systems. Gamecube has the most qualitie actually fun games and least eye poping graphix that blind you from the fact that the game is crap in the inside... not referencing halo2 of course not.. why would i do that :wink: I still play my nintento 64, hell I still play my snes and if my nes worked, i'd prolly still be playing that. Sega was the other main company that I liked, now its al ps2 and xbox which are mainly bs games in my opinion. anyway, enough nastalgia, anyone find an emulator that works well for gamcube under linux, the main games a care about are super smash bro's melee, super mario sunshine, the new starfox when it comes out ^ ^, metroid, but mainly super smash bro's melee
rafael
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm absolutely not an expert when it comes to emulators and software availability, but I think you're going to have a hard time finding a GC emulator for GNU/Linux or any other operating system on the ix86 platform. Not only does emulation require lots of processing power (or so I've heard at least), but GC also has some copy protection features that I'd think are quite hard to crack.

Just remember what I said first and don't take my word for it (about the rest).
DoktorSeven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage has gcube (http://gcube.exemu.net/) which might run a few things; however, you need a pretty good system to run it at anywhere near playable speeds...
Paladine01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time. Current systems cannot play the games at an acceptable level. Do yourself a favor and buy a cube for $99. Chump change.
InsaneHamster
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoktorSeven wrote:
Portage has gcube (http://gcube.exemu.net/) which might run a few things; however, you need a pretty good system to run it at anywhere near playable speeds...

ima try that aslong as it plays the resident evil series im set
DoktorSeven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InsaneHamster wrote:

ima try that aslong as it plays the resident evil series im set

Doubtful; it only runs maybe half a dozen things at all. I didn't see any indication that any RE game would run.
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah this is no where near my first delve into emulators, i dont expect much, they really dont even have a good ps1 emulator yet and nintendo 64 emulators can still be buggy with some games such as goldeneye :lol: I'll go check out gcube, and I'd much rather spring the 99 for a gcube anyway now that i think about it, they only systems i would think are worth having around during a party are the gcube/dreamcast/sega genisis/super nintendo/ and n64 ^ ^ and when would you want to play on a console unless your partying or hanging out with friends 8)
DoktorSeven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they really dont even have a good ps1 emulator yet

Maybe you meant PS2 emulator, since ePSXe is quite excellent for emulating PS1 games. Sure, there are a few games that don't work right, but a vast majority work perfectly or nearly so. N64 is very hit or miss; Project64 seems to work the best under Windows but there's no Linux port (and I can't get Wine or any of its cousins to run it), and even that won't run everything.

But it's true, you may as well just get the real thing for current systems. :)
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone should pick up the gamecube emulator and work on it. the original author seemed to have abandoned the project.
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoktorSeven wrote:
Quote:
they really dont even have a good ps1 emulator yet

Maybe you meant PS2 emulator, since ePSXe is quite excellent for emulating PS1 games. Sure, there are a few games that don't work right, but a vast majority work perfectly or nearly so. N64 is very hit or miss; Project64 seems to work the best under Windows but there's no Linux port (and I can't get Wine or any of its cousins to run it), and even that won't run everything.

But it's true, you may as well just get the real thing for current systems. :)

my main complaint about all the ps1 emulators that make it very worth the 20 bucks off ebay :lol: is not ingame play but it seems that all of the ps2 emulators play the cinematics really really really really choppy which ruins most of the good ff games, no one likes to whach an intense story in 5 frame intervals no matter how good it is 8)
DoktorSeven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you mixed the two, ps1 and ps2 :)

Anyway, I assume you mean PS1 -- I haven't had any problems with choppy cinematics on most games -- though I have seen a few that have some. The FF series (7-9) all play their cinematics perfectly on my system through ePSXe, for example. Ripping your game CDs to ISO files helps a bit, too, if your CD access seems to lag a bit on cinematics (no, I'm not talking about anything horribly illegal here, folks -- I mean doing a dd if=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 of=game.iso rip of an original PS1 disk, which works great for me).

Quote:
someone should pick up the gamecube emulator and work on it. the original author seemed to have abandoned the project.

Go for it! ;)
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say too, that go buy GameCube instead of using emulator. One reason being that even if the emulator is able to play a game, it doesn't mean that the game runs 100% well. Some textures can be missing or messed up, sounds may lag or not work at all and so on. Second thing is that the console games are always meant to play with the console's own normal controller. Trying to play those games with keyboard is more torturing yourself than enjoying the game. Also performance is an issue of course, especially with these newer consoles. So really, go buy GC if you want to play GC games, it's so cheap anyway. In here Finland you can buy GC for 79€, and with 99€ you get GC + Mario Kart: Double Dash!!.

One neat thing is that if you have TV-card in your computer, you can hook the GC (or any other console for that matter) to the TV-card and it will be kind of like playing with emulator on your computer, but the games are working 100% well and you have the real controller too. You can also easily record your playing with that setup directly to digital form. When using TV-card to play with console, it's important to make sure that the TV-card doesn't have hardware MPEG2-compression. If it has, everything you do with the game controller, will happen 1-2 seconds later on the screen. While that doesn't affect every type of games by much, some fast games like F-Zero GX and FPS games in general will suffer a lot about it. So, if you don't have TV-card in your computer, go buy the cheapest one possible (won't be many tens of euros/dollars), it won't have hardware MPEG2-compression and it will be good enough for playing with console. ;) Well, of course you want to make sure that there is a Linux driver for that TV-card, and it won't hurt if it has composite video-in and maybe s-video jack too (in here Europe, GC comes with composite cables as default. You need to buy a little plug that changes the left and right audio composite cables to one 3½ stereo jack if you want to use the composite cables).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: