Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Neverwinter Nights, migrating from single user......
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Neverwinter Nights, migrating from single user...... Reply with quote

I want to take my single user install I've been running for a couple years and change it to a portage deal, where the other users on my computer can use it, and what not without me having to cp -R the install directory to everyone's user directory. If someone would be kind enough to offer some advice on how I should go about doing this, please, I am all ears.
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you emerged all the games... theyll work fine as long as all users are games group.. unless u just installed it in ur home dir.. then i would reemerge all the games u did that to
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the thing, I haven't emerged any of them, I installed them all manually. Into my ~ directory.
thunderlove
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to emerge -- there have been changes and bug fixes. Then just copy your older stuff over.

Anyways, to answer your question:

move it to /opt or /usr/local -- [fyi the emerge places it at /opt/nwn]

Do something like
Code:
$ su
$ cp -R /home/larcen/nwn /opt

Then go through and change all the file owner/groups to root/game chown -R root:games /opt/nwn, remove world/group writables chmod -R og-w /opt/nwn, reset the group write on the save dirs (better, make them sticky)

One last thing: the emerge uses an old SDL lib, i presume yours does too. You will probably want to change that, too.

Finally, add a script to /usr/games/bin that cd's to /opt/nwn and starts the game.

Shouldn't be too hard :)
Registered Linux User #165104
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderlove I cought all of that except..

Code:
 reset the group write on the save dirs (better, make them sticky)

And..

Code:
One last thing: the emerge uses an old SDL lib, i presume yours does too. You will probably want to change that, too.

Could you elaborate some for me?
thunderlove
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To play, others will need write access to certain directories. I'm not certain on all of them, but 'localvault', 'saves', and probably 'dmvault', 'tempclient', and 'servervault' will need to be chmod g+w. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to save their games 8O

You might need to make 'nwplayer.ini' and 'nwn.ini' group-writeable, too. The game writes to these when changing settings (like sound and graphics options).

Re sticky: It prevents others from deleting files that don't belong to them. It's not really important, unless you don't completely trust the other users. chmod +t blahblah

Re SDL:

If you are not having problems, then don't worry about it. Nwn shipped with a version of sdl that was buggy -- many users had problems like mouse-freezes and such. OTOH, if you are having problems, then you will need to upgrade it:

/opt/nwn/lib probably has something like
Code:
libSDL-1.2.so.0 -> libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.5
libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.5

First, make sure you have a /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (it should be a link to, say, libSDL-1.2.so.0.7.1 If its not there at all, emerge libsdl)

Then, cd to /opt/nwn/lib, delete libSDL-1.2.so.0, and ln -s /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0

/opt/nwn/lib should now look something like
Code:
libSDL-1.2.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.5

PS: If you later change your mind, you can 'undo' by deleting the link you just created, and ln -s libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.5 libSDL-1.2.so.0
Registered Linux User #165104
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I don't have problems with my sound as of now, only sometimes I have to killall artsd and try again. Otherwise, none. I'll give this all a try this week sometime when I have free time, and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: