Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
hostname and domainname (fresh install just days old)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nichocouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a baselayout upgrade solve your problem?

L'Etat, c'est moi.
podollb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might, but I will let you know when I can reboot. (I am still in the middle of my KDE emerge)
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Almost the same problem Reply with quote

I would like to refer people reading this thread to another thread that I started where I describe having almost the same problem. In fact, I believe it is exactly the same problem, only the symptoms reported so far are slightly different.

The related thread is:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-364155-highlight-hosts.html?sid=800fdf27018fb18fcc43df2c7fa6751b

I am beginning to thisnk that the problem might be related to the new baselayout, as I am running baselayout-1.11.13, and the resolver is not working properly for names in /etc/hosts. Also, my dnsdomainname is showing up as "unknown". I have tried it with the old /etc/hostname and /etc/dnsdomainname files, and also with the new /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname files, and it doesn't work either way. And yes, I have done the etc-update, and there is nothing left to do there.
podollb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah nothing has worked so far it is still sets hostname to localhost.
Any other ideas?
Kulik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you remove /etc/hostname and /etc/domainname, check the /etc/conf.d/hostname && domainname and reboot again?

Does init write something like Setting hostname/domainname to blabla on the screen?

Tenuity3D developer - http://www.tenuity3d.com
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried both the old /etc/hostname and /etc/dnsdomainname approach, as well as the new /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname approach, and neither way works.

A little while ago, I tried my /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf with a clean system booted from the 2005.0 livecd, and it worked properly. The livecd has the Linux livecd 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 kernel on it, and I have systems running the -r4 and -r6 kernels, and none of them processes the /etc/hosts file properly. I now have 4 systems with broken resolvers, and one system sitting in livecd waiting for an install, but I am fearful to do it until this problem is fixed.

I am highly suspicious of the new baselayout...
podollb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the /etc/hostname and /etc/domainname removed
and with teh /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname in place (with correct format)
nothing works.

When I reboot I see:
setting hostname to localhost

I have hostname running in boot runlevel (it was that way by default) and the domainname is running in the default runlevel.

I had an older baselayout that I upgraded and I am not sure if either worked. But I did have a typo in my domainname originally before I upgrade to the new baselayout.

Can a person just downgrade to an older baselayout and test it out? (is that possible I mean)
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of downgrading, even if it fixes the problem, unless it is *THE* official fix.

The reason is because an unofficial downgrade is likely to be either undone by a later upgrade -- say to fix a vulnerability -- or would inhibit such a later upgrade from occuring, thus leaving the system vulnerable to attack.

No, the right answer is to fix the problem, even if that means an official backtracking to the old baselayout.
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: had the same problem this is how I solved it Reply with quote

I did the install with an older base layout and installed 2.4 kernel.
Then decided I wanted to install the 2.6 kernel so I changed my profile to the default.
--> Choosing the Right Profile from part 6 of the gentoo handbook

Checked my hostname in /etc/hostname(deprecated) and /etc/conf.d/hostname
    Checked domain name in /etc/domainname(deprecated) and /etc/conf.d/domainname
    Ran etc-update and updated all of my files.
    Added my host and domain name to /etc/hosts.

Still, my hostname wouldn't load.

So, here is what I did.
Code:

emerge --sync
emerge portage
emerge baselayout
etc-update
/etc/init.d/shutdown -r now

Even though this was a fresh install for me, only a couple hours old, the base layout was fairly old.
After emerge --sync and emerge baselayout, I'm now running baselayout 1.11.13-r1.

I did auto-merge on my /etc/conf.d/hostname file and /etc/conf.d/domainname files so I had to go back
and update the files. After the reboot everything worked like a charm.

Hope this helps,:o

Cheers,
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: PROBLEM SOLVED -- sort of Reply with quote

I did a complete cold reinstall and used the opportunity to run disk and memory diagnostics as well. Found no hardware problems, so I did the 2.6.x install from scratch, and everything worked. :roll:

Sorry I didn't post this earlier; this was several weeks ago.:oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: