need help with user permissions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clintpatty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: need help with user permissions Reply with quote

I'm not sure what forum this belongs in. I'm having trouble with user permissions for games, mounted devices, X, sound, and other things. I could post all the problems, but I think I need to read a guide. I have all the cdrom,users,wheel,etc enabled, but it's not enough. Mandrake was really friendly in automating this and giving me everything I need but not allowing editing of system files. I haven't been able to access nice GUI tools like gnome-control-center. I'm ready to cut loose stuff like harddrake and mandrake-control-center, but I like GUI config tools for the window manager. Where should I start reading?
lnxz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying to run system configuration tools you probably need to be root. If you're using udev check what groups own the different devices you need to access and make sure you're part of those groups and that the modes are sane.
Also I think you should be a bit more specific as to what isn't working for you and what error messages you get.
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: need help with user permissions Reply with quote

clintpatty wrote:
I'm not sure what forum this belongs in. I'm having trouble with user permissions for games, mounted devices, X, sound, and other things.

To access the games you need to be in the games group.
to access mount devices, you can just chmod/chown the directory, for example chown root:wheel /mnt/stuff and chmod has needed.
You can also edit the fstab, where you add the user:group in the options table of the mount device.
Try a hit on google for fstab.

Quote:
I haven't been able to access nice GUI tools like gnome-control-center.

Thats odd, as root try to run chmod 755 /usr/bin/gnome-control-center
see if it helps.

The docs on the gentoo.org might be of some help - searching the forums and ofcourse google.com
linux: #232767
clintpatty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should post/search for separate topics. I was hoping that there would be a single system wide thing to do, but I do not think that is the case. What do I do about issues with certain programs, like gphoto2 and cd/dvd burning apps? Must I change permissions for each program/corresponding device? Also, user clintpatty is in the games group, but cannot get past certain points when connecting to multiplayer on both games.

Also, when I chown my XFS drives it works, but I have been unable to chown the FAT drive. I've understood in the past that this is a vfat issue and that vfat permissions are determined by mounting. This seems to correspond to the fact that I can umount then mount as normal user clintpatty the vfat drive, and all permissions are fine. However, the regular mount while booting allowed access under Mandrake.

Configuring my screen saver and sound and other such things was easy under Mandrake. Do I just need to learn how to do all of these and set the permissions and all? I don't really have a problem with doing stuff manually, but I don't like it for X. I would like to be able to configure X things in X simply. Another example is getting the scroll to work on my mouse. Is there any way to get Pan to use less ram?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: