Cannot boot from CD - Help needed!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kronos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Cannot boot from CD - Help needed! Reply with quote

I've got the minimal 2005.0 CD, it md5sum'd just fine. I booted, and I get either kernel panic or no video at all. If I do gentoo-nofb I get farther (gentoo with fb kills my video, but it's probably just because the kernel is panicing).

I get to a call trace and then "Code: c1 14 86 53 0c f0 etc etc etc" with a bunch of more hex vals. And then I get:

Code:
<0> Kernel panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!

Any help please?

-Kronos
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Hardware are you using?
Kronos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meaning???

No Hyperthreading. It's only a 800mhz p2.
128mb ram.
Intel(R) Desktop Board D815EEA.
i815 chipset

micron box

nothing fancy, no SATA or anything
Douglas Todd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: cdrom problem? Reply with quote

Does this cdrom boot in any other machine? This would help remote the cd or cdrom as a possible culprit (ie., corrupting the read data)
Just an idea.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you booting of a USB drive? Did you try https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-320660.html already?

There are a couple of threads already out that handle this error message.

Also the output right before "Kernel panic ..." would help.
Yeung
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: CPU HEX Code Kernel Panic from LiveCD2005.1 Reply with quote

I'm having the exact problem, right after all the CPU Hex code then

<0> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Not even going to Filesytem, mounting and stuff yet.

It's an old Pentium MMX 166 machine, trying to install it as a Router. The thing is I have no problem at all booting from 2004.0 LiveCD, can I boot from there and install from binary stages in 2005.1 CDs?

Do you think it's my memory problem? Will now perform a memtest. I only have 40Mb of RAM.
sgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Having same problem - 2005.0 is Ok for me Reply with quote

I'm having what looks like exactly the same problem with a Celeron 450 machine.

The problem occured with 2005.1 cd and I moved back to 2005.0 cd with which everything booted fine. I am using minimal cds and nofb option.

I'll post lpsci -vvvv shortly.
sgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Maybe this is a low memory problem Reply with quote

Maybe this is a problem with low memory.....

Things appeared to be going alright with the 2005.0 cd. I had unpacked a stage 3 and snapshot, and had chrooted and started emerging the kernel, during which there was an error related to memory and a complete system freeze (bash prompts and ssh).

I'm currently running memtest to check my memory, but its old and I have no reason to think its defective. More likely to be just too little physical memory..I have only 32Mb...I had set up 512Mb swap (and switched it on!)

If low physical memory is the problem then I have no idea whether its possible to configure things to work or whether this is going to be a loosing battle without more memory. Myself I didn't realise I had that little physical memory and for my purposes I'll have to upgrade anyway.

I suspect the new 2005.1 cd requires more memory even just to boot.

I couldn't immediately spot a section on x86 hardware requirements on the docs section but probably I haven't looked hard enough. Don't think my lspci -vvvv will be of interest now so I won't post it unless someone has a good reason for wanting it.

BTW.....I think its a good idea to follow the docs when installing but I think you should be able to install any released stage starting from any booted sane linux system (any livecd). So long as your stage and snapshot are unpacked and you have chrooted into that environment, updated the environment. So if you had a booting Fedora system you could quietly set up gentoo on some spare hard drive space ready to boot into.
Yeung
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will add some more memory later on anyway, i will give it a try again. The memtest86 still running.... more than 12 hours now.. wondering if my hardware really ok.

If not I will try boot from <2005.0, then install the new stages. I hope it's going to work.

Thanks for the reply.
sgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: memtest Reply with quote

I only ran that memtest86 last night for the first time.......but I got the impression that it just went round and round forever. Are any errors showing up? You've probably run the test quite a lot by now. Isn't there a thing saying "Pass 21" in the top right?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe this is a low memory problem Reply with quote

sgs wrote:
BTW.....I think its a good idea to follow the docs when installing but I think you should be able to install any released stage starting from any booted sane linux system (any livecd). So long as your stage and snapshot are unpacked and you have chrooted into that environment, updated the environment. So if you had a booting Fedora system you could quietly set up gentoo on some spare hard drive space ready to boot into.

You are correct, almost any bootable Linux can be used to install Gentoo.

A lot of my installs are done using a KNOPPIX CD to boot from.
sgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: 40mb should be enough tho! Reply with quote

I'm a bit annoyed....40Mb should be heaps for a router....way more than needed. My machine is going to have MySQL on it so extra RAM will make a real performance difference. I should be able to get the thing up and running for the time being though.

I used to run X and Doom on lower spec machines.

I'm thinking that the problem might be that livecd does just about everything. The kernel is big because it supports everything / loads lots of modules.....like all that alsa stuff - for which you have no need. The machines probably ready to do more booted on the livecd than it ever will be with everything needed for a router.
Yeung
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup my bad, memtest running over and over again, none stop.

No error found in memory. I think that 2005.1 LiveCD needs more RAM also.

Good idea, I could try if it can boot from KNOPPIX.
gozmomm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same message with 512 ram
Yeung
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Memory is the problem Reply with quote

I remove all the 4 SDRAM, total of 32MB, then replace one DIMM of 256MB. That:s the MAX the Penitum MMX Mother board could take.

The problem is gone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: