installing on my laptop?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepWalkerX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: installing on my laptop? Reply with quote

I read the handbook and it says the minimum requirements are 64 megs of ram. I only have 32, although i plan on using fluxbox. Is it still possible?

Also, another reason i plan on using gentoo is because with the current distro i'm running (Damn Small Linux) I can't configure alsa correctly to run with my sound card (Yamaha OPL3SA2 sound chip i believe). Its an ISA card. Do you think I will be able to setup the sound device easily?
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try it. I'm not sure what made the handbook say 64mb is min... Linux reqs as much as you want it too... You're going to have a long compile time - you should look into plugging into a distcc cluster...
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work almost respectably in console, emerging packages will take ages (like well more than a week for a stage 1 install, depending on your CPU) and you'll need a large swap partition (probably larger than 350MB). A lightweight GUI like blackbox will also work but opening any application or moving things around on the desktop will be a right pig! Couldn't you get hold of some second hand memory chips?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: