will em64t diverge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leftler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: will em64t diverge Reply with quote

once more is known about em64t will it be made in to a totaly diffrent package? also when it goes to release will we have to rebuild our stage 1/2 for intel optimizations, or will amd64 be renamed to x86-64?
d4rk74m4
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think "amd64" should be renamed "x86-64". Intel have never (to my knowledge) acknowledged that it's
an AMD technology they're using, not even in their tech docs.
Birtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Intel never recognized where they get the technology from. But did AMD recognized where did they snatched SSE,SSE2,PNI or MMX for that matter? ;) Actually it is mutual agreement of technology exchange between AMD and Intel dating somewhere around 1979 (I don't know exact year, but googling should be very efficient on this).

On the side note, I welcome Intel's adding itself to the ride. It not only "recognizes" the x86_64 technology from AMD but it puts it to mainstream, since Intel is "da player" in this field (according to the market share).

The bad side note would be that hardware vendors (and some major software vendors i.e. Macromedia), are totally bluntant to this technology inovation and that their management is run by profit driven buerocrats ;) They are just waiting for Microsoft to make a move in 64-bit field, and then some (read enough people move to the target "inovation").

Regards

Don't have a childhood hero? How about Rob Hubbard http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/tcworh/profile.htm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: