View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eradicator
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Profiles, and the 2004.3->2005.0 Upgrade Reply with quote

With the release of 2005.1 on the horizon, we are getting ready to mark the 2004.3 profile deprecated. This won't happen until after the 2005.1 release, but we're making sure the upgrade path is rock solid, so things go smoothly.

For 2005.0 users, the differences between 2005.0 and 2005.1 are extremely subtle, and if you're keeping your packages up to date, you won't notice any change at all between the two for an installed system.

2004.3 users will need to follow the 2005.0 Upgrade Guide to update their system to 2005.0/2005.1. The guide is titled 2005.0 since 2005.1 isn't released yet, but once 2005.1 is released, the process will be nearly identical (the only change is between using the 2005.0 and 2005.1 directory). This upgrade guide and the associated script have gone through many revisions and bugfixes, so many thanks go out to the users who have helped us refine them over the past months. I am very grateful for your help and patience, and the result will hopefully be a smooth upgrade process for everyone else once 2004.3 is finally deprecated.

Near the bottom of the upgrade guide, we list common problems and solutions users have had with the upgrade. Most of these problems are now correctly handled and avoided by the script, but they are left there for your information in the event you encounter something similar.

I would like to get some feedback from users still on 2004.3 who have upgraded recently or since this posting. Please report "works for me" or any problems you have as a reply to this thread.

Thanks.
Vespira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

posting a followup, per your request :)

i was upgrading from 2004.3 to 2005.1 per your instructions, and once i got to emerging glibc, it blew up >.<

this is the last snippet of info i received...
Code:
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc   -pie -Wl,-O1 \
   -Wl,-dynamic-linker=/lib/ld-linux.so.2 -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now \
   -B/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/csu/ \
    \
    \
  -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/math -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/elf -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/dlfcn -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nss -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nis -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/rt -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/resolv -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/crypt -L/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/linuxthreads -Wl,-rpath-link=/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads: /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/math: /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/elf:
/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/dlfcn: /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nss:
/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nis: /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/rt:
/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/resolv: /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/crypt: /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/linuxthreads \
  -o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/nscd /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/nscd.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/connections.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/pwdcache.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/getpwnam_r.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/getpwuid_r.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/grpcache.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/getgrnam_r.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/getgrgid_r.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/hstcache.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/gethstbyad_r.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/gethstbynm2_r.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/dbg_log.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/nscd_conf.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/nscd_stat.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/cache.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/mem.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/ nscd_setup_thread.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/xmalloc.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/xstrdup.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/aicache.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/initgrcache.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/gai.o /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/rt/librt.so /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/linuxthreads/ libpthread_nonshared.a /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/linuxthreads/ libpthread.so /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nis/libnsl.so  /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/libc_nonshared.a
/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/linuxthreads/ libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__libc_malloc_pthread_startup@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/linuxthreads/ libpthread.so: undefined reference to `_errno@GLIBC_2.0'
/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/linuxthreads/ libpthread.so: undefined reference to `_h_errno@GLIBC_2.0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/nscd/nscd] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/glibc-2.3.5/nscd'
make[1]: *** [nscd/others] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r1/work/glibc-2.3.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5-r1 failed.
!!! Function toolchain-glibc_src_compile, Line 226, Exitcode 2

found reference to this issue on another forum that indicated a fix to /etc/make.profile/make.defaults was needed. will try that

* update *
the above fix did not resolve the problem, however adding the nptl and nptlonly USE flags did indeed resolve this problem.

only mentioning it here as it was not listed in the upgrade guide and it may be a common problem for folks.

Edit: Added spaces to the -rpath-link= line due to extreme pagelayout brakeage. --Maedhros
eradicator
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the note. The actual problem is that you've got emul-glibc-2.3.5 which has linuxthreads-tls per default. Now you're emerging 2.3.5-r1 with USE=-linuxthreads-tls and that's confusing the linker.

Another solution is to re-emerge the currently-installed glibc version rather than the latest glibc, then emerge the latest one when you do your emerge -uv system after the emul libs are removed.

Or you could just use USE=linuxthreads-tls

I've updated the script and the upgrade guide (takes a while to make it to the website) with this information. Thanks.
eradicator
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... also, if reverting back from 'nptlonly', be careful. If you start getting segfaults, make sure you don't have /lib*/libpthread-2.3.5.so leftover. libpthread-0.10.so is the correct (linuxthreads) one, but for some reason portage sometimes leaves the old one there, but it's usually from very dated (around 2.3.3.XXX) glibcs, so the portage bug which resulted in this problem is most likely fixed. If you do have this problem still, please let me know.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had numerous problems upgrading to the new profile and even filed a bug report on it. Gcc and glibc constantly sipt out a varity of errors as did emerging sandbox which pointed back to c-compiler. I followed the upgrade guide exactly. I was finnaly able to build sucessfully only after an idea eradicator had about my problem. You suggested I delete my /emul directory and re-emerge my emul-libs. That fixed all my problems and errors completely.

My conclusion from my experience was that even though I had always followed all the gentoo docs, for building, maintaining and updating my amd64 system there are things I can't control or maybe just don't understand how to with my currant Linux knowledge.

Portage either didn't, couldn't or wouldn't update my emul-linux-x86-libs properly during normal day to day updates for my system. Maybe because other apps were still using certian libs located there. My only indication of this is that after every attempt to upgrade any app needing 32bit nvidia libs to run ie..(quake3) wouldn't untill I re-emerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx.

So I think if you have been using 2004.3 for quite a while, have newer versions of glibc and gcc and run a lot of 32bit apps, you may run into some problems upgrading unless the new upgrade script addresses these issues. I don't understand why I had so many upgrading problems, but I did. The only thing that fixed it was deleting the /emul directory and than re-emerging it.

After a sucessful build under the new profile I have done a emerge -e world and 384 packages were re-compiled without error, except 2 which spit out md5 errors which was solved by deleting them in /usr/portage/distfiles, syncing and then re-emerging them.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
eradicator
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTango wrote:

My conclusion from my experience was that even though I had always followed all the gentoo docs, for building, maintaining and updating my amd64 system there are things I can't control or maybe just don't understand how to with my currant Linux knowledge.

The problem is sometimes packages in portage change making the documentation out of date. This was true for a lot of people who had the errno related issues when trying different versions of glibc.

Quote:

Portage either didn't, couldn't or wouldn't update my emul-linux-x86-libs properly during normal day to day updates for my system. Maybe because other apps were still using certian libs located there. My only indication of this is that after every attempt to upgrade any app needing 32bit nvidia libs to run ie..(quake3) wouldn't untill I re-emerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx.

Well, you just needed nvidia-glx. That places libGL in /usr/lib32 (which is /emul/... on 2004.3)

Quote:

So I think if you have been using 2004.3 for quite a while, have newer versions of glibc and gcc and run a lot of 32bit apps, you may run into some problems upgrading unless the new upgrade script addresses these issues. I don't understand why I had so many upgrading problems, but I did. The only thing that fixed it was deleting the /emul directory and than re-emerging it.

The guide and script are up to date to address all known issues.
linoleum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Problem in moving from 2004.3 to 2005.0 Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm updating from 2004.3 to 2005.0 experiecing some problems very similar to the ones raised above by Vespira. The reply by eradicator was

Quote:

Ok, thanks for the note. The actual problem is that you've got emul-glibc-2.3.5 which has linuxthreads-tls per default. Now you're emerging 2.3.5-r1 with USE=-linuxthreads-tls and that's confusing the linker.

Another solution is to re-emerge the currently-installed glibc version rather than the latest glibc, then emerge the latest one when you do your emerge -uv system after the emul libs are removed.

Or you could just use USE=linuxthreads-tls

I've updated the script and the upgrade guide (takes a while to make it to the website) with this information. Thanks.

What it's not clear to me is how to implement either of the two solutions proposed. Should I modify the script 2004.3-2005.0upgrade.sh (I hope not...)
Can anybody clarify a little?
Sorry for the basic question.
a.
linoleum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to modify the 2004.3-2005.0upgrade.sh and apparently I was able to implement your suggestion. Here
Code:

if [[ ! -f step5 ]]; then
        emerge -v --oneshot "=$(portageq match / sys-libs/glibc)" || myDie "emerge glibc fa$
        touch step5
fi

I modify the script asking to emerge (with all the options automatically generated) the glibc-2.3.5. Everything went ok and at the end with
Code:

emerge -vu system

I got the latest glibc-2.3.5-r1 without any error.
Did I miss anything doing this?
Thanks for the help
mystos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: multilib on 2005.0? Reply with quote

I went through the gamut of the problems with the early script, the manual
steps and all the forum suggestions. I eventually gave up and tried hard to get
back to a clean and stable 2004.3 profile. I've had little problems since so I think I
was mostly successful. Today I got the message via emerge about the deprecation of
2003.4 and after checking the date of the upgrade script and searching the forums
for problems I decided to try it again.

It immediately got the error about /lib32 and /usr/lib32 dirs; and after a quick look
and seeing only one file and a sym link I simply deleted them and kept going.

It subsequently failed on stage 2 with the error executing 32bit executable msg and no
suitable libc library in the log. That took an hour of digging (I shouldn't have, but I did
this during work;) The problem is similar to the "size of long double" issue, and after hesitating
a bit tried just doing the section under the If using the scripted upgrade:
in the Code Listing 9 box of the upgrade how-to. and kept going.
And miracle of miracles, the nice script finishes with is congratulatory message - cool.

Ok, so fine, the emerge -v system worked with no suggestions, but I immediately tried
Quote:
emerge -vuDp world
and got:
Code:
Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-glibc-1000  0 kB

Which confused me - wasn't the whole point to get rid of the emulation libraries??
So, more digging and finding one post that mentions, in passing, that the -1000 version
was just a stub and then looking at the actual ebuild file and confirming this I went ahead
and emerged it. So, another check with emerge -vuD world and I
had what appeared to be a clean 2005.0 system - :D

In combing the forum posts I noticed folk had 'amd64' in their USE flag list and the
upgrade had inserted the admonishment that mmx, sse etc was unecessary so I added 'amd64'
and removed all the mentioned USE flags, and tried emerging with --newuse:
Code:
haku ~ # emerge -vuDp --newuse world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4-r1  (-altivec) -bootstrap -boundschecking -build +fortran -gcj +gtk -hardened -ip28 (-multilib)* -multislot (-n32) (-n64) +nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -static -vanilla 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4  -build (-multilib)* +nls +nptl 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Ok, hopefully I still have an audience, and here is my question; I still have multilib in my USE flags, cuz
I assume that I still want to run 32bit code, yes?? So, where does the (-multilib)* change come from and should I
remove the multilib from my USE flags?

And just out of curiosity, I tried revdep-rebuild -vp
and it just sez I should do:

Code:
All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot --nodeps -vp =app-office/openoffice-bin-1.1.4-r1 =media-video/ati-drivers-8.14.13-r4

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-office/openoffice-bin-1.1.4-r1  +java +kde 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/ati-drivers-8.14.13-r4  -dlloader +opengl 0 kB

(and incidently it always sez I should reemerge openoffice-bin-1.1.4-r1 with that series of asinine complaints
about execution permission for all those stupid so's - I sure wish someone would fix that...)

Should I emerge gcc and libstdc again with the new -multilib?
Should I remove multilib and/or put in -multlib in my USE flags?
The post on 2005.0 and multilib almost seems to have the answer, but it feels like folk are dancing just around it.

If I continue, will emerge'ng openoffice and the ati-drivers and other 32bit stuff break?
I really would like to upgrade but I don't want more breakage...
eradicator
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linoleum wrote:

Did I miss anything doing this?

Sorry, I just noticed this post. You got it fine =)
eradicator
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: multilib on 2005.0? Reply with quote

mystos wrote:

Ok, so fine, the emerge -v system worked with no suggestions, but I immediately tried
Quote:
emerge -vuDp world
and got:
Code:
[ebuild  N    ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-glibc-1000  0 kB

Which confused me - wasn't the whole point to get rid of the emulation libraries??

So, more digging and finding one post that mentions, in passing, that the -1000 version
was just a stub and then looking at the actual ebuild file and confirming this I went ahead
and emerged it. So, another check with emerge -vuD world and I
had what appeared to be a clean 2005.0 system - :D

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. We don't have a way to put something like (has_newer_profile || use emul-glibc) in dependencies, so we decided to use the stuf for now and delete it once 2004.3 is removed.

Quote:

In combing the forum posts I noticed folk had 'amd64' in their USE flag list and the
upgrade had inserted the admonishment that mmx, sse etc was unecessary so I added 'amd64'
and removed all the mentioned USE flags, and tried emerging with --newuse:

amd64 being in your USE flags is silly... it won't do anything. amd64 is a KEYWORD, not a USE flag.

Quote:

Ok, hopefully I still have an audience, and here is my question; I still have multilib in my USE flags, cuz
I assume that I still want to run 32bit code, yes?? So, where does the (-multilib)* change come from and should I
remove the multilib from my USE flags?

Yes, multilib is enabled by the profile and is on always (or off if you're using the no-multilib sub profile). The ()s just mean the USE flag is masked and ignored. There's no way in portage to have it masked "on". Again, sorry for the confusion. Re-emerging those packages will give you nothing different from what you already have.

Quote:

If I continue, will emerge'ng openoffice and the ati-drivers and other 32bit stuff break?

No, looks like everything's fine for you.

Quote:

I really would like to upgrade but I don't want more breakage...

Well... it looks like you're already DONE with the upgrade... and things are working fine for you...
samuel.penn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Script refuses to run Reply with quote

First off, I should probably point out that all my machines perform an automatic "emerge --sync" via cron, so I never normally see the output. The fan in my AMD64 box has been playing up over the last week, so I've been leaving the machine switched off, and I just (for the first time in months) did an emerge --sync by hand, and I now see the following warning (for the first time):

!!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
!!! Please upgrade to the following profile if possible:
default-linux/amd64/2005.0

So, I've no idea if this warning has been given for the past 3 months, or just started today!

If I run the script listed in the document it points to, then I get the same error, plus a pointer to the document which told me to run the script. The full output is:

Code:

fenris scripts # sh ./2004.3-2005.0upgrade.sh

To upgrade do the following steps:

# The 2004.3 profile is now deprecated and subject to removal at any point
# after February 1, 2006.  Please update your system to the 2005.0 profile
# by using the upgrade guide located at:
#
# http://amd64.gentoo.org/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=1
#
# Do not simply change the symlink.

#
#

#
#

* It looks like you have /lib32 or /usr/lib32 directories already.
 * Have you already begun a manual upgrade?  If so, pleasse revert your
 * changes and restart the script.

Is this a bug in the script? Will it be safe to perform the manual operations, or will they also fail with the same problems? This is the output from the first time I ran the script, and I haven't started a manual upgrade, so I'm not sure about the warning about /lib32 already existing.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warnig about /lib32 & /usr/lib32 means that one or both are not symlinks anymore. Under 2004.3 they are symlinks. Find the common problems section in the how to and follow thoes instructions using the scripted method.
samuel.penn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTango wrote:
The warnig about /lib32 & /usr/lib32 means that one or both are not symlinks anymore. Under 2004.3 they are symlinks. Find the common problems section in the how to and follow thoes instructions using the scripted method.

The common problems section lists cannot compute sizeof and unresolved symbols during compilation - neither of which are the problem I'm seeing.[/b]
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is true but following that section will also get the libs where they need to be. If you attempt to upgrade with broken libs you will get all kinds of errors, not just the ones listed.

Many things have changed recently. You most likely are running newer versions of gcc, glibc, binutils and base layout under an older profile which could cause problems upgrading. You may wish to post your emerge info and wait to see if eradicator responds to this post. He knows the problems you can encounter well and may have better advise for you.
samuel.penn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: emerge --info Reply with quote

fenris scripts # emerge --info

# after February 1, 2006. Please update your system to the 2005.0 profile
#
#

Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/amd64/2004.3, gcc-3.4.3, glibc-2.3.4.20041102-r1, 2.6.11-gentoo-r11 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r11 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python: dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Mar 27 2005, 20:38:31)]
dev-lang/python: 2.3.4-r1
sys-apps/sandbox: [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake: 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils: 2.15.92.0.2-r1
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.8.1-r4
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr//lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://194.117.143.72/mirrors/gentoo http://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo/ ftp://194.117.143.69/mirrors/gentoo http://194.117.143.71 ftp://194.117.143.70/mirrors/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://wotan.glendale/gentoo-portage"
USE="amd64 X aalib alsa avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cdparanoia crypt cups curl dvd dvdread eds emboss encode esd fam flac foomaticdb fortran gd gif gimpprint gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imagemagick imlib ipv6 jabber java jpeg junit kde ldap lzw lzw-tiff mad motif mozilla mozsvg mp3 mpeg multilib ncurses nls ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svg tcltk tcpd theora tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb userlocales vorbis xine xinerama xml xml2 xmms xpm xv xvid zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS
Trappies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am a still a bit of a noob when it comes to these tecnical details. I tried running the script today and it gave me the same as the above message. But my one gives the following error :

Code:
* Your compiler does not have multilib support. Pleasse switch to a multilib
 * enabled compiler with gcc-config.  If you don't have one on your system, you can
 * emerga a multilib gcc by executing the following line:
 * FEATURES=-sandbox USE=multilib emerge gcc

So I checked this :

Code:
pc-dwh scripts # sh ./2004.3-2005.0upgrade.sh

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4-r1 [3.4.3-r1] (-altivec) -bootstrap -boundschecking -build -fortran* -gcj -gtk -hardened -ip28 +multilib* -multislot (-n32) (-n64) +nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -static -vanilla 0 kB

And there are the following versions I have :

Code:
pc-dwh scripts # gcc-config -l
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 *
[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednopie
[4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp

So I basically needed to recompile gcc with multilib support.

But then it gives me the following error when trying to upgrade gcc :

Code:
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.4-r1/work/build/gcc'
./xgcc -B./ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include -L/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.4-r1/work/build/gcc/../ld -O2  -DIN_GCC    -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition  -isystem ./include  -fPIC -DHAVE_SYSLOG -g -DHAVE_GTHR_DEFAULT -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED  -D_LIBC_PROVIDES_SSP_ -shared -nodefaultlibs -Wl,--soname=libgcc_s.so.1 -Wl,--version-script=libgcc/32/libgcc.map -o 32/libgcc_s.so.1.tmp  -m32  libgcc/32/_muldi3.o libgcc/32/_negdi2.o libgcc/32/_lshrdi3.o libgcc/32/_ashldi3.o libgcc/32/_ashrdi3.o libgcc/32/_cmpdi2.o libgcc/32/_ucmpdi2.o libgcc/32/_floatdidf.o libgcc/32/_floatdisf.o libgcc/32/_fixunsdfsi.o libgcc/32/_fixunssfsi.o libgcc/32/_fixunsdfdi.o libgcc/32/_fixdfdi.o libgcc/32/_fixunssfdi.o libgcc/32/_fixsfdi.o libgcc/32/_fixxfdi.o libgcc/32/_fixunsxfdi.o libgcc/32/_floatdixf.o libgcc/32/_fixunsxfsi.o libgcc/32/_fixtfdi.o libgcc/32/_fixunstfdi.o libgcc/32/_floatditf.o libgcc/32/_clear_cache.o libgcc/32/_enable_execute_stack.o libgcc/32/_trampoline.o libgcc/32/__main.o libgcc/32/_absvsi2.o libgcc/32/_absvdi2.o libgcc/32/_addvsi3.o libgcc/32/_addvdi3.o libgcc/32/_subvsi3.o libgcc/32/_subvdi3.o libgcc/32/_mulvsi3.o libgcc/32/_mulvdi3.o libgcc/32/_negvsi2.o libgcc/32/_negvdi2.o libgcc/32/_ctors.o libgcc/32/_ffssi2.o libgcc/32/_ffsdi2.o libgcc/32/_clz.o libgcc/32/_clzsi2.o libgcc/32/_clzdi2.o libgcc/32/_ctzsi2.o libgcc/32/_ctzdi2.o libgcc/32/_popcount_tab.o libgcc/32/_popcountsi2.o libgcc/32/_popcountdi2.o libgcc/32/_paritysi2.o libgcc/32/_paritydi2.o libgcc/32/_stack_smash_handler.o libgcc/32/_divdi3.o libgcc/32/_moddi3.o libgcc/32/_udivdi3.o libgcc/32/_umoddi3.o libgcc/32/_udiv_w_sdiv.o libgcc/32/_udivmoddi4.o  libgcc/32/unwind-dw2.o libgcc/32/unwind-dw2-fde-glibc.o libgcc/32/unwind-sjlj.o libgcc/32/gthr-gnat.o libgcc/32/unwind-c.o -lc && rm -f libgcc_s_32.so && if [ -f 32/libgcc_s.so.1 ]; then mv -f 32/libgcc_s.so.1 32/libgcc_s.so.1.backup; else true; fi && mv 32/libgcc_s.so.1.tmp 32/libgcc_s.so.1 && ln -s 32/libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s_32.so
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [32/libgcc_s_32.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.4-r1/work/build/gcc'
make[2]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.4-r1/work/build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.4-r1/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [profiledbootstrap] Error 2

It seems to be something related to 32Bit code, not to sure how to solve my problem. Any Ideas?

Sorry for spamming like this :oops:

Regards,
Davin Hansen
blubb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trappies wrote:

Code:

/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lc

re-merging emul-linux-x86-glibc should work, but make sure your profile is set to 2004.3
eradicator
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTango wrote:
You may wish to post your emerge info and wait to see if eradicator responds to this post. He knows the problems you can encounter well and may have better advise for you.

Samuel, did youu ever try upgrading to 2005.0 manually in the past? If you haven't already fixed the problem, could you tell me which of
/lib32 /usr/lib32 and /usr/X11R6/lib32 are actually directories, and if so, what is in them.

Then take a file that's in it at run:
equery belongs <file>

Thanks.
samuel.penn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: /lib32 etc Reply with quote

I don't believe I have ever tried to manually upgrade to 2005.0. I wouldn't have done it unless I got a message saying to do it (as happened today), or during initial installation (June this year).

Code:

/lib32 -> emul/linux/x86/lib
gconv_pic.map             libgpm.so.1.19.0        libnss_hesiod-2.3.4.so   libreadline.so
ld-2.3.4.so               libhistory.so           libnss_hesiod.so.2       libreadline.so.4
ld-linux.so.2             libhistory.so.5         libnss_nis-2.3.4.so      libreadline.so.4.3
libBrokenLocale-2.3.4.so  libhistory.so.5.0       libnss_nis.so.2          libreadline.so.5
libBrokenLocale.so.1      libm-2.3.4.so           libnss_nisplus-2.3.4.so  libreadline.so.5.0
libSegFault.so            libm.so.6               libnss_nisplus.so.2      libresolv-2.3.4.so
libanl-2.3.4.so           libmemusage.so          libpam.so                libresolv.so.2
libanl.so.1               libncurses.so           libpam.so.0              librt-2.3.4.so
libc-2.3.4.so             libncurses.so.5         libpam.so.0.77           librt.so.1
libc.so.6                 libncurses.so.5.4       libpam_misc.so           libsandbox.so
libcidn-2.3.4.so          libncursesw.so          libpam_misc.so.0         libthread_db-1.0.so
libcidn.so.1              libncursesw.so.5        libpam_misc.so.0.77      libthread_db.so.1
libcrypt-2.3.4.so         libncursesw.so.5.4      libpamc.so               libutil-2.3.4.so
libcrypt.so.1             libnsl-2.3.4.so         libpamc.so.0             libutil.so.1
libcurses.so              libnsl.so.1             libpamc.so.0.77          libz.so
libcursesw.so             libnss_compat-2.3.4.so  libpcprofile.so          libz.so.1
libdl-2.3.4.so            libnss_compat.so.2      libpthread-0.10.so       libz.so.1.2.2
libdl.so.2                libnss_dns-2.3.4.so     libpthread.so.0          security
libgcc_s.so.1             libnss_dns.so.2         libpwdb.so
libgpm.so                 libnss_files-2.3.4.so   libpwdb.so.0
libgpm.so.1               libnss_files.so.2       libpwdb.so.0.62

equery belongs /lib32/*
sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.19 (/lib32/libsandbox.so)

None of the other files seem to belong to any package - I've tried several individual files, plus the /lib32/* above.

Code:

/usr/lib32 (Directory)

libGL.la  libGL.so  libGL.so.1  libGLcore.so  libMesaGL.so  libnvidia-tls.so  modules  opengl

equery belongs /usr/lib32/*
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs-2.1 (/usr/lib32/opengl)
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.7174-r4 (/usr/lib32/opengl)

Code:

/usr/X11R6/lib32 (Directory)

libGL.la  libGL.so  libGL.so.1  libGLcore.so  libMesaGL.so  libnvidia-tls.so  modules  opengl

equery belongs /usr/X11R6/lib32/*

No results returned in the final equery.
eradicator
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok samuel... please just emerge 'emul-linux-x86-glibc' and see if that fixes the problem. It should.

Thanks.
regnnick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've got a similar problem than samuel. I've first tried to update manually but was stuck with the long double problem. So I've tried to reverse what I have done and use the script. But I get the following message

Code:
 * enabled compiler with gcc-config.  If you don't have one on your system, you can

I've switched the profile back to 2004-3, re-emerged emul-linux-x86-glibc, gcc-config and gcc (using the FEATURES=-sandbox USE=multilib emerge gcc command line[/code]). But I still get the same message from
2004.3-2005.0upgrade.sh. I've also checked that /lib32 and /usr/lib32 are symlinks

ls -l /lib32
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Sep 10 18:24 /lib32 -> emul/linux/x86/lib
ls -l /usr/lib32
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Sep 10 18:24 /usr/lib32 -> ../emul/linux/x86/usr/lib
samuel.penn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eradicator wrote:
ok samuel... please just emerge 'emul-linux-x86-glibc' and see if that fixes the problem. It should.

Thanks.

The emerge worked, and running the script seems to be doing something now. It still gives warnings about deprecated profiles (which seems odd, since the purpose of the script is to upgrade the deprecated profile, so it shouldn't be an error from the point of view of the script), but I'll see how it goes.

It's currently still running - I'll let people know if it all worked (probably in the morning).

Thanks for the help.
Angryguy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also trying to upgrade the profile and am having problems.

I followed the directions to execute the sh upgrade script, only to get the message:
Quote:
* enabled compiler with gcc-config. If you don't have one on your system, you can

I've tried both "USE-multilib emerge gcc" and "FEATURE=-sandbox USE-multilib emerge gcc", but in both cases after emerge finishes the .sh script exits with the same error as above. I really don't want to attempt the manual method unless there's no other choice. How do I get the upgrade script to work properly?

Also, I noticed that there is a 2005.1 profile-directory now as well, however no upgrade script in there (as the upgrade guide suggests there should be when 2005.1 is released). Is there going to be another upgrade script released, or is the 2005.1 profile simply not ready yet?
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angryguy wrote:
Quote:
I've tried both "USE-multilib emerge gcc" and "FEATURE=-sandbox USE-multilib emerge gcc"
You must emerge gcc with multilib either set in your use flags or on the the command line if you want to use a multilib system. So if you want a mulitlib system it would be
Code:
USE="multilib" FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge gcc
Notice you don't use the -sign in USE. I find it easier to just add multilib to my use flags in /etc/make.conf

Now if you don't want a multilib system then follow the instructions for 2005.0 no-multilib howto. Keep im mind you won't be able to run any 32 bit apps.

The 2005.0 profile has been out for a long time now and the 2004.3 is now depreciated. I am already using the 2005.1 profile.

The upgrade script is in /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2005.0/scripts. If you don't have one there, emerge sync to get it.

I would think by now most people would want to follow the howto's common problems section from the start. If you are still using the 2004.3 profile and have updated your system on a regular basis your /emul directory most likely won't be where it needs to be, to update without problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: