Samba and Windows Local Password Cache
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Samba and Windows Local Password Cache Reply with quote

I have Samba running on my Gentoo box and it's running perfectly except for one thing. In Windows when I log into a Samba share it asks for a username/password(which is what I want) but when I close that share and come back to it later it goes right back into the share without asking for a username/password. I want it to NOT cache the password, I've spent the past day trying to find a way to fix it but still don't know how. I posted this here because I also don't know if the fix is in my Gentoo/Samba box or my Windows box.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in your windows box. Until you log off, reboot, or disconnect the mapped connection it will cache your credentials. If you are running Windows 2000 or XP you can right click on "My Network Places" and then select the option "Disconnect network drive . . ." which will display a list of mapped connections which your credentials are cached for. You can then disconnect which will disassociate your credentials and will then require them again for reconnection. There may be some registry hack in Windows that will disable this default behavior but I am unaware of one.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fast response! I haven't mapped any network drives, this is just from Me going to 'My Network Places', navigating to the Samba Server entry and clicking on the share I want. Just to check I mapped a network drive to that share, rebooted, logged in to that share, closed the share, opened it again, and got no login window. So I guess it's safe to say mapping a network drive doesn't affect it. Thank you for the suggestion though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: