HELP!! 8139too, MII and adsl (pppoe) stopped working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: HELP!! 8139too, MII and adsl (pppoe) stopped working Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for reading,one thing after another lol

I finally got my usb mouse working, but after making new settings to kernel (then make dep&&make clean bzImage modules modules_install, the copying bzImage to /boot), I cannot adsl-start anymore, simply times out. I just learned about copying bzImage to boot, and over the last few days ive been making alot of changes(without copying bzImage to /boot), so maybe I messed something up for my realtech8139 (too). Previously if I remember correctly, I initially had to insmod 8139too, then do my adsl-setup, then adsl-start and it always worked (i had to adsl-start everytime i rebooted) but 8139too never showed up in lsmod but always worked.
So now I try adding 8139too in the kernel as a module, but insmod 8139too give me some sym link errors, but I can modprobe it successfully. now in lsmod i see 8139too (unused) but now I also see listed MII [8139too], what is that, i never seen that before. Anyway when I adsl-start, it times out and I cant connect.

What am I doing wrong????? What else do I have to enable in the kernel to get this connection up and running?? (ex: ppp or anything to that effect?) and is it better to add these as modules or actually compile it in the kernel? :?

your help is much appreciated

best regards
casper
svyatogor
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hullo!
I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to do :? Do you have an ethernet adsl modem? Anyway, the mii is a module responsible for some memory, management and as far as I know it is required by 8139too (I have it myself on my laptop).

For the ADSL now :idea: Did you compile the PPP sync and other modules into kernel? If you could list which setting you specified for PPP it might help. I remeber reading somewhere (I gues www.gentoo.org :?: ) that you need PPP syncronous and asyncronous (PPP sync ...something, PPP async ... something) modules for ppp other ethernet to work.
casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, basically I have a Realtech8139 NIC card and I simply want to connect through my high speed ADSL isp (surf the web, emerge, online gaming etc..)
I had it all setup, but after i got my usb mouse working and recompiled my kernel,...ADSL-START stopped connecting, I dont have anything in my kernel setup in regard to (ppp anything...maybe that my problem..)thats why i posted this to find out for sure... I need everyones knowledge ;)

I appreciate any advice everyone !!

best regarsd,
casper
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After modprobe 8139too and verifying it's loaded with lsmod, have you tried grabbing an IP address with: dhcpcd
matosale
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! 8139too, MII and adsl (pppoe) stopped working Reply with quote

casper2601 wrote:
So now I try adding 8139too in the kernel as a module, but insmod 8139too give me some sym link errors, but I can modprobe it successfully. now in lsmod i see 8139too (unused) but now I also see listed MII [8139too], what is that, i never seen that before. Anyway when I adsl-start, it times out and I cant connect.
casper

after you put 8139 as module, did you put it in /etc/modules.autload? if you see 8139too wen you type lsmod, then is allready loaded and "unused" because your adsl is not yet started. Maybe is out there a way to run "adsl-start" at boot-time and you don't have to type it everytime you boot the pc...

I hope you find the answer ;-)
Saludos
Linux Registered User: #287900
Linux Registered Machine: #169303
http://counter.li.org
--
casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inever tried that because I never needed anything relevant to dhcp before!!, I compiled and modulated 8139too, insmod 8139too, then adsl-setup and it worked.
But for some reason it won't now, should i try uninstalling 8139too, first...then re-add it in another make menuconfig (i do notice alot of unresolved symbols)

what do u think??

casper
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'd do first before anything else.
1) modprobe 8139too
2) dhcpcd

Now run ifconfig to verify that you got an IP address on eth0. If this works then do this:
edit /etc/modules.autoload and add: 8139too
edit /etc/conf.d/local.start and add: dhcpcd

This will configure your network card every boot and you're done. If this doesn't work you need the PPPoE. Try this and post you might not even need PPPoE support at all.
casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna give this a try tonight, thanks for your fast reply. I've use many distro (redhat, mandrake, evilE and gentoo) and I have always used roaring penguin (pppoe) I never had to do anything relevant to dhcpcd before) although i will give it a go.
Another note: when i modprobe 8139too (mii automatically loads...I have never seen this before and Im wondering is this mii.o might be the problem and if so what do I do??)
Another point I noticed is when I modprobe 8139too and try adsl-connect and then it times out, but if I try to adsl-start again...it says" there seems to already be a connection on PID ((forget what number of PID it stated)). Also if i "ifconfig eth0" It does seems to pick up something but it dosnt say anything about 8139too or realtech (incase this is a clue).

Another question that ties into this (might help) is with pppoe, what do I need compiled or added as modules (example: ppp and related options, dummy.o??) basically what should I have in my kernel to support my ADSL modem and realtek 8139 NIC card.

Thanks soooooooo much for taking time to help me.

very best regards,
casper

:) I know Ill get this fixed with your guys help
z0mbix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having similar problems with this NIC/module. My symptoms are here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=36760
casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, ive been reading these forums all day and can't seem to find anything relevant to my situation :(

Seems hopeless :( Man I hope i can fix this hehe.

casper
svyatogor
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to recompile your kernel with following options:
Network Device Support -->
PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
PPP support for async serial ports
PPP support for sync tty ports

Without these pppoe won't work.
casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you my friend for your reply,

I do indeed have these 3 options installed (compiled, not as modules), but I think i also have a few other ppp option installed (maybe i should stick with the 3 options you told me and remove the others....what do u think? and what is the story with mii?? should i install 8139too as a modules or compile (which would be better?) What other options do i have to install in regard to networking, i keep hearing about this dummy.o option???

What do u think??

best regrads,
casper
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casper2601: Please try not to crosspost, instead try keep your problem in one thread. I'm trying to help, but this is hard to keep track off :) I'm sure you understand.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=36833
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=36548
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=36560
casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Sorry about crossthread, tuff being a noob...sooo many questions.

For zOmbix, and all my patient viewers.

I fixed my problem, i fixed it by basically make a total re-configuration of my kernel.

zOmbix, make sure u have your NIC card added as modules, make sure u have these option configured (not module)

PPP (peer to peer)
PPP (async)
PPP (sync tty ports)
i also added dummy.o as a modules (this may be pointless)

*****BE SURE TO DOUBLE CHECK, TRIPLE CHECK EVEN YOUR ADSL-SETUP (for typos)

I think my problem was I was being too gutsy with my net configurations, removing the wrong things, thats why i ended up doing a "make mrproper" and starting a fresh make menuconfig, because it makes sure the important (standard stuff) is set...then go from there.
THANKS sooo much everyone for the help and guidance, if you ever come to N.B Canada, the beer is on me ;)

well i'm off to the forums to see if I can give any help to others :)

best regards,
casper

p.s: thanks big time Zu for your patience ;)
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

Good to know your adsl connection works again 8)
Now you can go have fun with your Gentoo system on the net.

As for dummy.o I think it's just for testing purposes, not really needed, but it won't hurt either.

Good luck with Gentoo! :)
z0mbix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casper2601 wrote:

For zOmbix, and all my patient viewers.

I fixed my problem, i fixed it by basically make a total re-configuration of my kernel.

zOmbix, make sure u have your NIC card added as modules, make sure u have these option configured (not module)

PPP (peer to peer)
PPP (async)
PPP (sync tty ports)

I can't even get Gentoo installed as one of the first steps is getting your network going. I think I'll install via chroot. Cheers anyway :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: