View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: can't start X with vesa - help Reply with quote

I am totally new to linux and i just can't seem to get xorg working! I have been trying the whole day and gotten practically nowhere. I build gentoo from suspend2-sources on Acer TravelMate 4602LCi it is based on the Centrino Sonoma chipset. It all seemed to be great but then I tried to start X. I can't even start it successfully with vesa, all it says is:
"VESA: No matching device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:0)"
When I boot from the minimal install cd and try to start X it starts but the screen is stretched off the screen. This stretching resembles:
|*x*x*x*x*x*x*|
|*x*x*x*x*x*x*|
|*x*x*x*x*x*x*| where: x is a pixel and * is black space - it looks like many tiny blocks half pf which are just black
|*x*x*x*x*x*x*| ->(screen should be longer - mouse moves off the screen and window layout is as if part of the screen to the right were cut off)
|*x*x*x*x*x*x*|
|*x*x*x*x*x*x*|
(sorry, I didn't know how else to describe it!)

GNOME works perfectly with Ubuntu live cd, and I think that the quickest way to resolve this would be to look at the system under the Ubuntu live cd and copy across settings, but I don't know what settings to copy!
If I try it with i810 then it the same error is received, only I810 is substituted for VESA.
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comment the line that says PCI:0:2:0 in your xorg.conf.
linux: #232767
tgop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikaro wrote:
comment the line that says PCI:0:2:0 in your xorg.conf.

There is no line like that in xorg.conf. Note that the message is a warning, not an error. The actual error is "no screens found". I think what the warning means is that it detected a display device but it did not detect a corresponding Device section in xorg.conf. Unfortunately I do not know how to add one. Also, I think this is relate: I cannot access the graphics mode of links2, it says:
"Could not initialize graphics driver. Tried the following drivers:
x:
Can't open display ':0:0'
"
I _could_ get into links graphics mode before under the install cd. I have enabled all the kernel options that I could see were related to this. In fact, I worked from the install-cd kernel .config file and unchecked options that I thought didn't apply, perhaps I inadvertently deactivated something important. The little tux on top of the screen after booting _does_ show up (thought this might be relevent). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is mine, http://ikaro.homepage.dk/files/xorg.conf.html see if it helps.
linux: #232767
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: