Wortwhile waiting for 2005.1?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
va1210
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Wortwhile waiting for 2005.1? Reply with quote

I recently got a new computer which I intend to install with dual boot (WinXP/Gentoo). I've already installed WinXP, but now that I should install Gentoo I'm unsure whether I should go with 2005.0 or wait for 2005.1. Is 2005.1 going to contain the new much hyped-up installer, or is the process still going to be manual like in the earlier releases? I'd really like to get gentoo up ASAP, but wouldn't want to waste hours and hours on getting it running, just to find 2005.1 being released the next day, packed with cool new features and a comfy menu-based installer..
bcmm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know this is an old post, but I thought I should just clear this up:
Gentoo is not like Mandrake (or like Mandrake was when I used it anyway), it doesn't really have versions in that sense. Packages update continually, and a new profile like 2005.1 doesn't really matter except for installer changes. If you have it installed already, you just update it with "emerge -uDN world" (which is what you do for updated packages anyway); you don't have to reinstall each new release like I had to with Mandrake.

Edt: An old post? I really can't tell the time..

Damn, my RAM is full of llamas!

Last edited by bcmm on Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
va1210
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know I don't really need to wait for 2005.1 to get the most recent packages, but I was merely hoping to ease the installation process with the new installer if it is going to be included on 2005.1. I remember reading something about a possibility to save an installation profile, which could be used to reinstall a machine at a later date, should the hard drive break/something else go wrong. So getting a profile like that would definitely be a good thing, and worth waiting for a few days.
bcmm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I've also heard rumours of a graphical installer too, though I have to say I like the way you have to learn how to use Gentoo properly when installing it (this is the attitude which makes people hate Gentoo users I guess...). Also, I hope it doesn't end up forcing you into broad choices like "server or desktop" like Mandrake or Fedora do (or once did).

About the "installation profile", if you have somewhere where you can put data which will withstand a disk failure on your own machine, you should probably make a full backup using tar or something...

Damn, my RAM is full of llamas!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: