get Modules at liveCD...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CooKies37
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: get Modules at liveCD... Reply with quote

ok, here i boot my laptop with gentoo from the LiveCD2005.0...

after booting, i can see that 'yellow' lines on top of the screen saying:

network devices found: eth0 [ok]
Sound Card xxxxxx [ok]
Graphic Card xxxx [ok]

but, i do not know how to get them works in my gentoo after installing..??

for the network devices, it is actually a Intel Wireless Pro b/g card....and when i am in the liveCD, i can ping www.gentoo.org, it works great....but after i install the gentoo, i can't use it anymore! and the iwconfig command also missing!!!! why when in the liveCD i can use, but after install it can't use?

somebody please help me! thanks!
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to configure your kernel to build the modules and then install them. After that you need to the names of the ones you want to load automatically on boot to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and run modules-update.
The installation installs only a very basic system, everything else you will need to emerge yourself afterwards.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
CooKies37
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,nixnut, what you mean:

Quote:
You need to configure your kernel to build the modules and then install them. After that you need to the names of the ones you want to load automatically on boot to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and run modules-update.

? actually my main problem is: when i am in the liveCD, and i type lspci / lsmod, i can see that all the modules are loaded properly and my graphic card, sound card, and wireless card also works! but, after installing gentoo, especially compiling the kernel, i don't know which one to choose from...there are no such modules name (which loaded properly when i am in liveCd) exist in the make menuconfig?! so how i gotto build the modules and install them?

let say, one of the modules is 'ipw2200', but i can't see any ipw2200 option in make menuconfig....how? what should i do?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CooKies37 wrote:
actually my main problem is: when i am in the liveCD, and i type lspci / lsmod, i can see that all the modules are loaded properly and my graphic card, sound card, and wireless card also works! but, after installing gentoo, especially compiling the kernel, i don't know which one to choose from...there are no such modules name (which loaded properly when i am in liveCd) exist in the make menuconfig?! so how i gotto build the modules and install them?

let say, one of the modules is 'ipw2200', but i can't see any ipw2200 option in make menuconfig....how? what should i do?

Basically it's time to learn what hardware is in your system and which drivers you need. lspci will tell you what hardware you have, on the forums you can use the search feature to find which drivers you need for those. Also just browse through menuconfig and use the help screens. Those screens will tell you the names of the drivers (and thus modules) and what hardware they support.
If in doubt just enable a driver as module. Modules are only loaded automatically when you add them to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and run modules-update. So don't worry you'll end up with a gigantic kernel. Just build the modules and enable those you think you need. Any other modules you can always load with modprobe later.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: