System Log viewing.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: System Log viewing. Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo for several months as my main OS. As many headaches as Gentoo (really just linux in general, some gentoo specific), I can't seem to stop using it. But I'm sure that this is just a phase, and someday I'll know how to fix something without flinching.

But one thing I have yet to find more info on is log viewing. I know it's there. I followed the guide and emerged syslog-ng, but how do I view the system logs, or any other logs, like I could with windows? Of course both GUI and console based viewers are what I would need. Any good log viewers for console and KDE (my one and only window manager)?
nonotme
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you mention KDE, have you tried klogview or ksystemlog? as for console viewing, less is usually sufficient for me. any console text editor/viewer will work though, they're just plain text files.
Admiral LSD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log files are typically stored in /var/log. They're plain text, so any text editor/viewer can be used to read them. I use the tools in Midnight Commander myself as I'm used to it (I'm an nc fanboi from waaaaay back) but nano/vim/emacs/etc will do just as well. Of course, there are a number of GUI log parsers as well but I can't think of any off-hand. I vaguely remember one for GNOME but I couldn't tell you it's name - not that'd be much use to you anyway.

Registered Linux user #319839
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: