unmerge and USE Flags
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epoch7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: unmerge and USE Flags Reply with quote

Hello, I am a first time gentoo use, gentoo is awesome, I love emerge. However, I initially compiled gentoo with xorg support, I decided to use my linux box as a server and so I unmerged it. Learning to use gentoolkit I wanted to find if any programs were dependent on X, all I could find were emacs, links2, python, groff, and giflib.

Emacs and links were crashing after the xorg unmerge, I couldnt open them. So I edited my make.config to include "-X" instead of just "X" and unmerge'd then re-emerge'd links and emacs. I rebooted just to be sure the make config would be used(i didnt know if it would make a difference). Now links and emacs work ok(python opens, dont really know about it but i know gentoo uses it alot and since i can still use emerge i assume its working) but when I run 'equery hasuse X' emacs and links still appear. How do I stop them from appearing there? Should I re-emerge python? Can I even do that without screwing up my installation? what about the other packages?

Thank you for any help you can give, I just want to say again how great gentoo is running, and how EXTREMELY WELL the gentoo handbook is written.

epoch7
count_zero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try this:
Code:

emerge --newuse world

This will recompile any packages in your world file that have been compiled with USE flags that don't match what is in your make.conf (i.e., updates packages to reflect your new USE flags).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: