Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XMMS stops playing when doing host lookup (ALSA problem?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanktalus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: XMMS stops playing when doing host lookup (ALSA problem?) Reply with quote

This is kind of strange ... I'm finally switching over to gentoo more fully, and I'm getting the strangest problem.

I'm running XMMS to listen to an internet radio station. But when I go to a console and run "host www.google.com", for example, the playback stops. Immediately. Another example is using KNode - if I have to reconnect to the NNTP server, the music stops.

However, and this is where I start getting a bit lost, I can connect to pretty much any site via FireFox with no problems. I don't quite get this inconsistancy, other than to assume that it must be something else.

My resolv.conf points to a RHEL3 box as my home's nameserver, and backup of another nameserver which I get via VPN (which is why I'm not cutting and pasting it in here). The search line is both my own domain and the work domain. Looking up IPs works insofaras I get the right answers. it just kills my XMMS connection at the same time.

XMMS version is media-sound/xmms-1.2.10-r15 .

VPN client is Cisco (not open-source, but I'm just glad that they let me connect with Linux at all at times).

All software is otherwise completely up-to-date when doing an "emerge --sync && emerge -a world" except for tightvnc, which I downgraded because 1.3alpha5 doesn't talk to the 1.2.9 vnc servers at work.

Last edited by Tanktalus on Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same version of xmms and it does not stop when i type "host www.google.com"
try disabling some plugins, maybe ...
:roll:
linux: #232767
Tanktalus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after disabling everything but the plugin I need for mpg playback (mpg123), still happened. So I started playing with the playback ... switching from ALSA to OSS seems to have solved the problem. The current ALSA level is:

Code:
[ Searching for package 'alsa' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.9 (0)
[I--] [  ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.9a (0.9)
[I--] [  ] media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.8-r1 (0.9)
[I--] [  ] media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.9b (0)

Again, latest that I can emerge. I wonder how the heck this has anything to do with it, but all I can go on is the evidence.

I've changed the original subject line to match the findings so far. Hopefully someone can help - should I change my system to use OSS sound rather than ALSA? I thought ALSA was the recommended sound system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: