Installation woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrezinorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Installation woes Reply with quote

I recently got a 2U server from work for cheap. I wanted to get gentoo installed on it, but for some reason the 2005.0 universal CD i burned is missing components. i go tot he chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bas/

after that i configure the use flags, etc, etc, anyway the problem i got was using passwd to change the password, it said it wasnt found.

Also, did they eliminate the bootstrap script in 2005.0?

anywhos, im gonna build my system from 2004.0, since i've done that 3 times before without problems.
nrezinorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided in my best interest to just use the 2005.0 installation cd. :roll:

Good luck to me.
nrezinorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love posting to myself.

anyways, i figured out it's because the online doc was changed and only includes stage 3 install instructions :evil:
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrezinorn wrote:
the online doc was changed and only includes stage 3 install instructions :evil:

The stage 1 instructions are still there : look here.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have separated the instructions in two: one for the current installation approach, which requires an Internet connection but always installs the latest packages using instructions for the latest configuration routines, and one for the networkless installation instructions, based on a fixed set of packages.

We decided to split them because Gentoo is now using a semiannual release cycle. Since Gentoo often has small, but subtle changes (for instance a change in baselayout configuration) the current installation instructions always follow the latest changes while the 2005.0 instructions use those that are in effect when the 2005.0 release was made.

If we would keep them in a single handbook, we would need to fill it with "if you are following a network-based installation do this. Otherwise, do that".
nrezinorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven Vermeulen wrote:
Yes, we have separated the instructions in two: one for the current installation approach, which requires an Internet connection but always installs the latest packages using instructions for the latest configuration routines, and one for the networkless installation instructions, based on a fixed set of packages.

We decided to split them because Gentoo is now using a semiannual release cycle. Since Gentoo often has small, but subtle changes (for instance a change in baselayout configuration) the current installation instructions always follow the latest changes while the 2005.0 instructions use those that are in effect when the 2005.0 release was made.

If we would keep them in a single handbook, we would need to fill it with "if you are following a network-based installation do this. Otherwise, do that".

Thank you for the clarification, and thanks to the other person who posted the link to the handbook for a stage1 install. I believe everything is in working order now. (I'll know for sure when i get home from work today)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: