View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: cupsd very slow to start Reply with quote

I'm having odd problems with cups. First, it takes well over 30-seconds to start during boot or if I restart it manually. Secondly, I can't print anything. Oddly enough, I can't access http://localhost:631/ from Firefox but I can from Konqueror, and I can add my printer and set the options with no problem, but when I try and print a test page, I get an error message saying "Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!".

Any help?
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

check if firefox uses a proxy and add localhost and your local subnet to the list where no proxy should be used.

Which printer do you have and which driver is set up for the printer?

regards
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lexmark Z600 and I use Lexmark's official drivers. The printer worked fine until recently, so I'm guessing a CUPS upgrade may have done it.

As for Firefox, I have it set to "Direct connection to the internet", but even when I manually set "no proxy" it still doesn't. I noticed this oddity about the same time I noticed that I could no longer print.
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any ideas? I'd really appreciate it.
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., I solved the "Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!" error by following the advice here. In short, I uncommented the following lines in /etc/cups/mime.conf:

Code:
application/vnd.cups-postscript application/vnd.cups-raster     100     pstoraster

. . .

application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

Now the test page prints successfully. However, cupsd still takes over 30-seconds to start, and I still can't access the UNIX Printer Admin through Firefox.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Since there are no error messages, I really have no idea where to start. I guess now that I can print again, it's not so much a major problem, but it's still annoying.
yonoesio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. Cupsd takes too much time starting but no errors... any idea?
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty seconds sounds as if something is looking for a network address and
timing out when it can't be found - I haven't seen it with CUPS, but I have
with other TCP/IP network stuff. The delay is of that order of magnitude,
anway. It might be worth trying to find out just what network addresses
CUPS is trying to use.

I find CUPS a real pig to configure, so once it's running I leave it well alone.

Good luck - Will
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: cupsd very slow to start Reply with quote

The Mountain Man wrote:
when I try and print a test page, I get an error message saying "Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!".

I have just come across a similar issue. On box B I have updated cups from 1.2.12 to 1.3.7. The printer is on box A, where I have cups-1.2.12. After the upgrade, I get this message when trying to print from B to A:
Code:
Print file was not accepted (Unsupported format 'application/octet-stream'!)!

Nevertheless, when I connect the printer to B I can print normally. I have unsuccessfully tried what has been suggested in the thread. I will be looking at this at some point (as I can print ;-) ) and post the progress. Next step will be to update cups in box A, as it is something already planned.

Cheers!
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now uptated to cups 1.3.7 in both boxes. This is my situation:

* Box A has a printer (cups 1.3.7), and I can print from A without any issues.
    * Box B used to print to A with cups 1.2.12 (B->A). After updating it to cups 1.3.7, it gives the message: "Print file was not accepted (Unsupported format 'application/octet-stream'!)!"
    * Boxes A and B have exactly the same configuration in these files: cupsd.conf, mime.convs, and mime.types.
    * I have a box C with cups 1.2.12 that can print without any issues to A. (C->A)

* The output of # grep application/vnd.cups-postscript /etc/cups/* in box B and C is the same.

Welcome to the twilight zone... ;-)

I will continue exploring. Any hints appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: Finally solved. I just had to follow the advice in the thread :oops: : to uncomment the lines containing
"application/octet-stream" in mime.types and mime.convs. I have uncommented the line on the client (B) and the server (A), and I am able to print 8O :?: . Yes, it does not explain everything, but I can print and it makes me happy... :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: