Wolfson DAC through rear channel of AV710 w/ ALSA
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Wolfson DAC through rear channel of AV710 w/ ALSA Reply with quote

The Chaintech AV710 apparently has some a very nice Wolfson DAC on the rear channel, making it great for music. Following the instructions in this thread http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1534036#post1534036 (I posted in that thread but it doesn't seem to get much traffic so I'm posting here too) I think I have alsamixer set up correctly. Yet, I can't seem to get any sound to come out of the rear output. The regular line out works so I know that the card is funtional.

I've been using KDE 3.4 with amarok and -arts in my USE section. ALSA 1.09b is built into my kernel (2.6.12nitro5) and it recognizes my soundcard as the first device. Is there any way I can tell it to play to the rear channel? Thanks for any help![/url]
powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody? Can anyone even tell me how one normally gets music and whatnot to play over surround sound?
weedy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get this http://www.vandemar.org/asound.state cp over /etc/asound.state then run "alsactl restore" remember its the last plug before the optical out.
powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that does is set the volume and whatnot correctly, which I had. Never did get it to work so I wound up buying an M-Audio Delta 410, which worked perfectly out of the box (and honestly is a much better card to begin with). Gave the AV710 to a friend who was building a new Windows computer.

Didn't know whether to put (SOLVED) on this one since it wasn't really resolved but I moved on to something else.
weedy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for me after doing that the center/bass output was a little lounder and sounded MUCH better then the line out, so i think its working. eather way it's infinitly times better then my onboard and for $30 im not going to complain. if it doesn't work in the windows comp you have a bum card.
powderific
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mine it never put any sound out of the other ports at all (even with the asound.state and a LOT of time spent troubleshooting). I don't know what it was about my setup but it just never worked quite right. The card has been working quite well for my friend's windows computer, so I guess it all worked out. (Not bashing the card or anything, just didn't work out for me. It is a fantastic deal)
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to work properly, but it only works on alsa versions older then 1.0.11.So you need to use an older kernel for it to work i.e 2.6.16 or older.Anyone know what needs to be fixed in the asound.state to get it working again?
Here is another head-fi thread with discussion about the problem, but no fix:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142981
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: