Changing CPU, MOBO - with existing install [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aschueler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Changing CPU, MOBO - with existing install [solved] Reply with quote

I have a Gentoo system up and running great. One of my hard drives is failing (not the gentoo one), though, and I bought a new one. I figured while I was at it, what the hell do a few upgrades I had been meaning to (faster ram, new video card which may not work in gentoo, etc etc)

I am switching from a P4 to a AMD 64 X2, and of course a totally different motherboard. Everything is complied with i686 options or x86. And of course I really don't want to wipe out my gentoo install to redo everything.

Should I just boot up the live CD, change my compile options, then do a emerge -uDav world? Anything I should look out for? This a major change...would like to not screw it up, I love my system the way it is.

Thanks!

Last edited by aschueler on Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite an upgrade!

I do not have an amd64 system yet, so I can't be completely sure, but, I believe it is very possible that your system will actually boot up as is. At that point you could just change your compile uptions and recompile the whole sytem again (emerge -eav system)
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you compiled everything for i686 you should be fine. You probably will need to compile a new kernel, since your new mb will most likely need different drivers for the onboard nic and sata controller.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
aschueler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. What I plan to do is install everything, then boot the system and see what happens!

(when I get everything trouble free, will add [solved] to the above if I add any issues I run into)
aschueler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added [solved] -- but not because things are well.

System booted, but would hang at odd moments, sound quit working. Didn't recompile anything except the kernel. Found the following statement in Gentoo AMD 64 stuff:

"Can I upgrade from my x86 system to amd64 by doing emerge -e world?

Due to several differences between an x86 and an amd64 installation, it is impossible to upgrade. Please perform a fresh install. The installation is slightly different than an x86 one, so please use the AMD64 Handbook. "

Oh well. Reinstalling now, I am sure I will post some things when I hit some snags. Thanks guys, you're always supportive around here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: