View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lOnewOlf313
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] X test crashed..system unbootable Reply with quote

Hi everyone..

First off ...the gentoo user-community is great. Ive been installing Gentoo for the past 4 days and have gotten over/around/through a few issues by searching the forums.

I dunno if this is the correct section. I posted it here coz it involved X.
If this problem is recorded and solved then please accept my apologies and kindly direct me to the appropriate post.

System Specs:
CPU : AMD Athlon-XP 3200+
RAM : 512 MB Crucial Ballistix
Mobo: Abit NF7-S2G
HDD : 1. Maxtor 40GB IDE 2. Maxtor 120GB IDE
Graphics : Nvidia GeForce 6600GT

Right..this is what happened...

Did a stage1 install. The only optimisations were -march=athlon-xp 03 -pipe and MAKEOPTS -j2
I had my Gentoo system up and running and then opened up the Desktop Handbook to setup X. Emerging X took a long time but went well.

Did a 'X -config /root/xorg.con.new' .........it reported that mouse couldnt be found.. Checked the /dev/mouse file...it wasnt there...it was in /dev/input/mouse0. So edited the xorg.conf.new file to correct the mouse entry....

Then I ran the test again....got the black and white lines but no mouse...I couldnt exit that by doing a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.....tried everything else like Alt-F4 etc.....finally had to do a hard reboot....big mistake...

On the reboot, in the boot messages...I get this

Code:

Populating /dev with device nodes...
/sbin/rc: line 24 cannot redirect standard input from /dev/null: No such file or directory  [oops]

The "tar" command failed with error :
This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s)  have become corrupted. You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.
tar : Child returned status 2
tar : Error exit delayed from previous errors

- Since this is a critical task, startup cannot continue.

/dev/console: No such file or directory
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

I thought the hard drive has crashed because of the hard reboot, but this has happened to two hard disks now (I first installed it on a test drive first). I ran an e2fsck on both hard disks from the live cd and both dont report any errors.

Its the [oops] in red that worries me...:(

Any suggestions anyone?

Last edited by lOnewOlf313 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit /etc/conf.d/rc and make sure that the following line says "no".

Code:

RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"

That should be enough to boot ok. You dont need that set to "yes" unless using some esoteric hardware.

The X thing should not be related to that. Look the Xorg.0.log file for some errors. Make sure that you changed the refresh of you monitor to match yours in xorg.conf, and make also sure that you are using the correct drivers for your card model. :)
lOnewOlf313
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks :)...editing /etc/conf.d/rc has fixed the bootup problem.
I can now start up X after installing the nvidia drivers and am currently in the process of emerging kde using the partial builds(not the monolith ones..)..
I had got this tar error previously as well while extracting the portage tree, however that was related to the settings of my CPU in the BIOS. I had to lower the FSB down to 100Hz from 200Hz to get some stability..:(...I have to do that every time I compile..I guess its the system falling over itself...anyways
Once again thanks for the solution.
Ill set the topic to [solved] once I get a GUI up.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the FSB problem: use a program to burn your cpu and in the while watch your cpu temperature with torsmo or gkrellm or something like that. It is almost for sure a temperature problem. The compilation is one of the heaviest tasks in cpu usage terms, along with video encoding and 3d games. So, it would explain why your pc hangs or resets when doing large compilations.

An advice, dont use aluminium disipators in the cpu, use coper ones, the difference is very big, overall if your micro is an athlon. :)
lOnewOlf313
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is that the CPU doesnt shutdown or reset...I get errors from bzip saying that the archive is corrupted or something......and i got those errors only when emerging during the install......

I emerged mozilla successfully at 200Mhz FSB ( which is when the compilation process usually bombs out with some sort of error) and the temperature was around 57 with a peak at 59C. Of course these arent very accurate. I used gkrellm.

Ill start a new post if this happens again..so someone can find it if it gets solved..

I could see an ugly layer of grey on top of my CPU heat sink...so unscrewed the fan and hoovered the heat sink.....

Ive got a Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 which is copper core...does a good job...:)

Thanks for taking the time!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: