Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ABSOLUTELY NO SOUND OUTPUT, and out of ideas...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero Shadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: ABSOLUTELY NO SOUND OUTPUT, and out of ideas... Reply with quote

All right... I see several other people have this problem here, and I thought I would try to get an answer to it.

I have absolutely no sound whatsoever, whether in console mode, under KDE or Xfce (my two only GUIs for the moment). No beeps, no music, and worst of all, no visible errors! I've tried everything. lspci tells me I have a
Code:
VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

which seems to be perfectly recognized by the system. I've compiled my 2.6.11-gentoo-r3 kernel with support for the card (the module is snd-via82xx), the soundcore module, everything for ALSA support, as well as a bunch of other things (for MIDI and sequencing support). I've read the whole section on gentoo.org about setting up ALSA, as well as the section in the Gentoo HOWTO Wiki, and tried everything they said, but without sucess.

I know the sound card is perfectly capable of working: it did so with no problem when booting the Ubuntu and Slax LiveCDs. I suspect the problem might have something to do with the default sound device: when testing if the ALSA setup worked, I tried
Code:
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

which didn't produce any sound, but didn't produce any error either. When listing the contents of /dev, I get dsp2, dsp3, audio2, audio3, audioctl, sound, a bunch of midi devices, and I think that's about it for sound. I tried manually setting the sound device under KDE, but now everytime I enter a session, I get
Code:
Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing sound driver:

device: /dev/sound can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I've tried pretty much all the sound device names I could find, in almost all cases getting a device was not found message. And, by the way, the Test Sound and Test MIDI produce no sound either, but again, no error message.

So that's the extent of my problem. I've been working on it for several days (I've recompiled my kernel about four or five times today already) but without any positive results. If anyone has any ideas or advice, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm still very new to Gentoo Linux, and desperate to get a working system. This sound problem is really the last step: I have a working, (apparently) stable system, loaded with software, just about ready to go. I'm particularly looking forward to using Rosegarden (I like to compose music a lot), which explains my need for sound...

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers.
Crisis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you already did the proper unmuting/muting with alsamixer?
Specialized
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you a Sound-Section in your /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules?

In my case it looks like this:

Code:
# alsa devices
SUBSYSTEM="sound", GROUP="audio"
KERNEL="controlC[0-9]*",        NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="hw[CD0-9]*",            NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="pcm[CD0-9cp]*",         NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="midiC[D0-9]*",          NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="timer",                 NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="seq",                   NAME="snd/%k"

You need the OSS-Mixer API- and the OSS-PCM-Module enabled in your Kernel.
Vorlon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem with the same sound chip. Oddly, Tux-racer makes sound effects, but that's it.
Slavo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to change in KDE control panel in SoundSystem from Default explicitely to ALSA
Zero Shadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assume you already did the proper unmuting/muting with alsamixer?

Yes, although the display was all scrambled up (but that's another problem, which I also have with the kernel configuration menu). I'm pretty sure the master volume was unmuted, as well as the column right next to it.

Quote:
Have you a Sound-Section in your /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules?

In my case it looks like this:

Code:
# alsa devices
SUBSYSTEM="sound", GROUP="audio"
KERNEL="controlC[0-9]*",        NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="hw[CD0-9]*",            NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="pcm[CD0-9cp]*",         NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="midiC[D0-9]*",          NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="timer",                 NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="seq",                   NAME="snd/%k"

You need the OSS-Mixer API- and the OSS-PCM-Module enabled in your Kernel.

Yes, I have a sound section that looks very close to that. I tried enabling the OSS-Mixer API and the OSS-PCM-Module, both by adding them as modules as well as compiling them into the kernel, but unfortunately it changed nothing.

Quote:
try to change in KDE control panel in SoundSystem from Default explicitely to ALSA

That was one of the first things I tried, but it didn't work.

One new thing. I've noticed when I boot up my computer, at one point I get
Code:
Loading snd-card-0 . . .
FATAL: Module snd_*** not found                                       [ ok ]

which, I presume, isn't a good sign.
apache
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What udev version do you use?
cruise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero Shadow wrote:

Yes, although the display was all scrambled up (but that's another problem, which I also have with the kernel configuration menu). I'm pretty sure the master volume was unmuted, as well as the column right next to it.

May well not be enough - I've had to unmute columns in all sorts of positions to get sound working before - 3D wave channels and such. Might be worth getting the text dialog stuff working.
Zero Shadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What udev version do you use?

udevinfo says version 045
Zero Shadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I tried manually changing /etc/modules.d/alsa with
Code:
alias snd-card snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

and that suppressed the boot time error, but still didn't solve the problem.
After that, I tried setting up ALSA through the alsa-drivers package, but things still work the same. Also, because of my strange display problem, I don't seem to be able to change the volume settings in the alsamixer (the "volume bars" simply don't show up).
Specialized
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this Page will help you:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=VIA&card=.&chip=VIA82C686%2C+VIA8233%2C+VIA8233A%2C+VIA8235&module=via82xx
BlueCame1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero Shadow wrote:
One new thing. I've noticed when I boot up my computer, at one point I get
Code:
Loading snd-card-0 . . .
FATAL: Module snd_*** not found                                       [ ok ]

which, I presume, isn't a good sign.

Ah, I've seen this before. Something with alsaconf isn't writing the /etc/modules.d/alsa correctly which means junk gets inserted into /etc/modules.conf. Then when /etc/init.d/alsasound start runs the modules do not get loaded or unloaded correctly. More specifically, not _all_ the needed modules get loaded.

Edit your /etc/modules.d/alsa and make sure the correct sound modules are listed. Then run modules-update to rebuild the modules config file. After running module-update check the /etc/modules.conf and look for your sound modules.

Once you're sure both modules.conf and modules.d/alsa are correct unload all sound modules (lsmod | grep snd to check), run /etc/init.d/alsasound zap then /etc/init.d/alassound start.

Look for errors in /var/log/messages and dmsg | tail.
Zero Shadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you all for your great advice...

Quote:
Ah, I've seen this before. Something with alsaconf isn't writing the /etc/modules.d/alsa correctly which means junk gets inserted into /etc/modules.conf. Then when /etc/init.d/alsasound start runs the modules do not get loaded or unloaded correctly. More specifically, not _all_ the needed modules get loaded.

Edit your /etc/modules.d/alsa and make sure the correct sound modules are listed. Then run modules-update to rebuild the modules config file. After running module-update check the /etc/modules.conf and look for your sound modules.

Once you're sure both modules.conf and modules.d/alsa are correct unload all sound modules (lsmod | grep snd to check), run /etc/init.d/alsasound zap then /etc/init.d/alassound start.

Look for errors in /var/log/messages and dmsg | tail.

By trying that, I got my speakers to "pop" when I boot up or turn off the computer (during loading or unloading of the ALSA modules) and that got rid of the error messages. After that, /dev/dsp was recognized as a symbolic link to /dev/sound/dsp, and yet running cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp resulted in no sound at all. Now, whenever I turn on my computer, either the speakers pop when ALSA modules are loaded, in which case /dev/dsp is recognized and there's still no sound, or the pop doesn't happen, in which case /dev/dsp doesn't exist and there's also no sound. In that case, by stopping and restarting ALSA, I get the pop sounds and the device recognized.

In either case however, KDE tells me it can't find the device, even if typing ls -l /dev/dsp in a console tells me the device is actually there... I don't get it. The sound system seems to be properly configured, my ALSA configuration files are correct and up-to-date, all sound modules load correctly when booting the system, yet I still get no sound.
BlueCame1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than sending junk to /dev/dsp I would suggest using aplay instead.

Now that sound modules are loading right, I would suggest the following actions as the next step:

1. Run /etc/init.d/alsasound stop to unload the modules
  2. Remove the existing mixer state by running mv /etc/asound.state /var/tmp/
  3. Startup alsasound again
  4. Use alsamixer and make sure the volume on the master and the pcm channels is turned up.
  5. Test with "aplay /usr/kde/3.4/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav"

Aside from this, it might be helpful to post the output from the following commands:

Code:
aplay -L
aplay -l
amixer

Zero Shadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't work. I've tried running alsaconf and alsamixer from a KDE console to get better display; this time, alsaconf was able to configure my sound card properly, but alsamixer showed that there were no control bars for the master and pcm channels. All I could do was mute/unmute them. If you take a look at this page here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

In Figure 3.1: The Alsa Mixer Main Window, Muted, the Headphon column, right next to the master column, has only a mute/unmute box and no volume control. That's exactly how my master and pcm channels look, and they're the first two channels displayed.

As I've installed ALSA a first time using the first method showed on the page linked to above (build it directly into the kernel), then done it over with the second method (using the alsa-driver package), then done it over again with the first method, could I possibly have an incompatibility (the document states that the two methods are mutually exclusive)?

When running aplay -l I get
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 0: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 4/4
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 1: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 1: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Just as a test, I booted my machine with a Slax LiveCD running KDE, and I had no trouble with sound. alsamixer showed a volume bar for both the master and pcm channels, the /dev/dsp device was recognized and output noise when running cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp. Also, the "Test Sound" KDE button worked just fine as well. So I KNOW I can get this sound card working somehow, and it can't be that far out of reach.
Out of curiosity I ran lsmod | grep snd which listed the following modules:
Code:
snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss
snd_via82xx
snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm
snd_timer
snd_page_alloc
gameport
snd_mpu401_uart
snd_rawmidi
snd_seq_device
snd
soundcore

I list all of these in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 (except gameport), and in the same order. I really feel the problem has something to do with alsamixer. What does the fact that the master and pcm channels have no volume settings say about my system?
Vorlon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it means that it is not finding the device, so can't offer any controls.

I'm still having the same problem, but have made some progress. I had done an emerge -u world which had updated my kernel, and reset the link from /usr/src/linux to the new kernel. All the modules were pointing to the actual running kernel, so when alsaconf went looking for modules, it looked in the wrong source directory and of course crapped out.

I reset the link to /usr/src/linux, and now alsaconf works fine, but I still get no KDE sound. XMMS is able to play music however.
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vorlon wrote:
I think it means that it is not finding the device, so can't offer any controls.

I'm still having the same problem, but have made some progress. I had done an emerge -u world which had updated my kernel, and reset the link from /usr/src/linux to the new kernel. All the modules were pointing to the actual running kernel, so when alsaconf went looking for modules, it looked in the wrong source directory and of course crapped out.

I reset the link to /usr/src/linux, and now alsaconf works fine, but I still get no KDE sound. XMMS is able to play music however.

If you want a quick & dirty fix, set your sound within KDE to use an external player ...like mplayer, for instance. It's under Sound & Multimedia | System Notifications | Player Settings. That'll get it working, at least.

(Since KDE 3.3.2 caused absolutely no hassle concerning sound, I'd vote for a KDE bug --just one of three I've found, so far: (1)Menu key doesn't bring up the menu any longer; (2)There is no delete in the right-click menu to delete files; (3)sound. There are doubtless many others I have yet to find since I've only been using this release for two or three days.)
martinm1000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also having problems with some modules (for me its not the sound, its the video) since emerging
that #(*$&@(* of module-init-tools that is a real pain (you know where) since... well always.

It that helps, here is the post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2579162.html#2579162

For now, I solved my problem (involving agpgart and intel-agp) by doing a insmod because something
seems to not be right with modprobe...
Zero Shadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's that simple for me. I remember seeing warnings when emerging alsa-utils, alsa-driver, or alsa-lib... that's usually a bad sign. From what I read on the ALSA website, my /etc/modules.conf file seems to be incomplete in the sound section. For instance, there should by an entry of the form alias char-major something, which my file lacks; in other words, I have the feeling that alsaconf isn't doing its job.

So, I would need for someone with a working sound card to post the contents of their /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modules.d/alsa files, so I can at least get an idea as to what a working configuration looks like.

Thanks for your patience.
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my modules.conf file as pertains to alsa. Remember, I'm having few problems, too, but sound is working, at least.
Code:
##
##  ALSA portion
## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
##  OSS/Free portion
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
##  OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
options snd  device_mode=0666
alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ali5451
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

### modules-update: end processing /etc/modules.d/alsa

Here's the etc/modules.d/alsa...
Code:
##  ALSA portion
## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
##  OSS/Free portion
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
##  OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
options snd  device_mode=0666
alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ali5451
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Hope that helps get us all somewhere, as others post.

(I really don't know why I needed so badly to upgrade to KDE-3.4.1. I'm regretting it.)
Zero Shadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I got sound working (well not completely, but it's a good start)! Thanks for posting your configuration files, Yogi-CH, it showed me that alsaconf really was messing up my files. For anyone who might have a similar problem with getting sound to work with my specific sound card driver (snd-via82xx), I'll explain exactly what I did.

First, I added ALSA_CARDS="via82xx" to my /etc/make.conf file. Then, I recompiled my kernel (2.6.11-gentoo-r3) with sound support as a module and everything else in the "Sound" category disabled. When that was done, I emerged the latest ALSA drivers (1.0.9b) that were just recently made available as a Gentoo package. In fact, I also emerged alsa-utils, alsa-lib, and alsa-oss, just to be sure. Because I knew that alsaconf didn't do its job properly, I manually edited /etc/modules.d/alsa like this:
Code:
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias snd-slot-0 snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Then I ran modules-update to write all this extra info to /etc/modules.conf, and added these two lines to my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file:
Code:
soundcore
snd-via82xx

for sound support and support for my VIA card, respectively. Then I started ALSA with /etc/init.d/alsasound start and added it to the boot runlevel with rc-update add alsasound boot.

When I rebooted after that, ALSA loaded fine, and I could change the volume settings on the Master and PCM channels. The problem is when I enter KDE, there's no sound (no loading sounds and the "Test Sound" button does nothing). When I open up XMMS and try to play something, I get something along the lines of
Code:
failed to load OSS Driver: 2.6.10

To get sound working after that, I have to open up a console, su to root, stop and restart ALSA. Then XMMS works fine, as well as Noatun, aplay, etc... but I can't play CDs for instance (the CD plays but I hear nothing). Also, every once in a while, I have to reset the mixer levels, which drop down to zero for some reason I can't pinpoint.

I want to thank you all for helping me get this far, and if someone knows how I can get things running smoothly, it would be appreciated (by me, and I'm sure, by others too).
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it working! 8) There is something on this forum regarding setting up XMMS for using digital sound, but cannot remember just what thread it was. It may even have been on the alsa site ...I cannot say for sure. Perhaps a search would reveal it. Since I am not on KDE-3.4.1 at the moment I cannot tell you what the setting is. I can tell you that if you go back to my 16 July post regarding Control Center and follow the suggestion ...KDE-3.4.1 will have sound. :wink:

Good luck with the rest...
sztosz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Zero Shadow I'm able to hear sounds again. Your method works for me too :) My previous problems are described in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2581954.html

BUT

Runnin two sound's in one time is a no-no. There's only big static. And error :(
And I don't think you need to put anything into /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file, well I didin't. alsasound do it by itself.

I'll do some research and post it here, mybe we can make it :wink:

I tried with few kernels but it still does not let me play two different sounds. In alsamixer PCM is set to ZERO (unmuted) and I can not rise it, but I dont know if it's a problem. And I found that (with emerged alsa-oss) xmms plays better using oss and not the alsa.
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I follow. Two sounds?? If you're referring to the external player, it replaces the default in the control center, bypassing KDE's default sound daemon, or whatever it is. This only applies to KDE's sounds, not the audio apps within KDE.

Also, since alsa is compiled into the kernel by default, I used the following in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6:
Code:

snd-ali5451
snd-pcm-oss
snd-seq-oss

...because w/o them sound did not work at all on my system. The modules were not loading as a result of alsa. Weird, perhaps, but that is what happened.

Hope that clears a couple things up. :wink:
sztosz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By running two sounds I mean playing sng with ie. xmms, and trying to ie.:
Quote:
aplay /usr/kde/3.3/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

And getting the output like this:
Quote:
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:802:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:533: audio open error: Device or resource busy

I use ALSA from alsa-driver (only this seems to work), and I do not load any modules at boot time. alsasound does it by itself.

Well I have with a kernel linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r4 no problems with KDE sounds during startup or any other, exept describen (is it correct form :? ) above.

And I ran out of ideas :?

@Zero Shadow: Swithing to a kernel linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r4, helped me a litlle with sound quality, and there is no more problems with strange static, when running "two sounds" ( ;) ) at once
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: