Request: ndiswrapper
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Request: ndiswrapper Reply with quote

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include ndiswrapper on the install cd... for those of us with laptops and unsupported WLAN cards, we need ndiswrapper to start networking...

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I am sure that it would help me, as well as others, get gentoo installed...
Cinder6
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to find a livecd with ndiswrapper already in it. Sorry that I can't help much beyond that.
Be evil.

Ugly Overload
zortech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ndiswrapper by itself is not enough. You will also need windows binary drivers, which I'm sure can't be distributed on Gentoo LiveCDs.
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to agree with the request actually. Bundling the windows binary drivers is not required, but having the tool available is handy. Floppy disks with the drivers can be mounted, and if you have a windows partition you can grab them from there. But if the ndiswrapper tool was actually available straight from the disc it would save me the hassle of having to install with Knoppix everytime.

Knoppix implements it fine: They don't bundle any windows binary drivers, but they have the tool readily available if you have access to them. That's how it should be done, IMO. There's a huge chunk of users who are left in the dark without ndiswrapper.
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raftysworld wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with the request actually. Bundling the windows binary drivers is not required, but having the tool available is handy. Floppy disks with the drivers can be mounted, and if you have a windows partition you can grab them from there. But if the ndiswrapper tool was actually available straight from the disc it would save me the hassle of having to install with Knoppix everytime.

Knoppix implements it fine: They don't bundle any windows binary drivers, but they have the tool readily available if you have access to them. That's how it should be done, IMO. There's a huge chunk of users who are left in the dark without ndiswrapper.

Thats what I mean...

I know how to use ndiswrapper, I know you need the windows drivers... I actually carry the drivers on a flashdrive so that I have them outside the installer (easily mounted)... but i still cannot use the drivers because ndiswrapper is not on the cd!

PS... there are a couple linux distros that actually have some form of the windows drivers on the disc... can't remember which (maybe mepis) but it worked!
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Request: ndiswrapper Reply with quote

cyberdork33 wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include ndiswrapper on the install cd... for those of us with laptops and unsupported WLAN cards, we need ndiswrapper to start networking...

Please please please file a bug report in bugs.gentoo.org :-).
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Request: ndiswrapper Reply with quote

Vanquirius wrote:
cyberdork33 wrote:

Please please please file a bug report in bugs.gentoo.org :-).

This would be considered a bug? It is more of a feature request rather than a bug. It is not suppossed to be incluided that I know of...
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Request: ndiswrapper Reply with quote

cyberdork33 wrote:
This would be considered a bug? It is more of a feature request rather than a bug.
A missing feature is a bug.
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Request: ndiswrapper Reply with quote

psyqil wrote:
cyberdork33 wrote:
This would be considered a bug? It is more of a feature request rather than a bug.
A missing feature is a bug.

well gentoo is missing the feature "windows", but that is not a bug, infact it is more likely a bugfix... anyway, filing bug report...

EDIT:
For those interested, Bug #101940

EDIT: Bug was marked as duplicate of #69707. Which in turn is marked WON'T FIX.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent versions of Knoppix include ndiswrapper if I recall correctly (though you will need a true binary Windows driver file).
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
The recent versions of Knoppix include ndiswrapper if I recall correctly (though you will need a true binary Windows driver file).

yes as well as many other distros... but apperently the devs do not want it in the gentoo livecd
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberdork33 wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:

yes as well as many other distros... but apperently the devs do not want it in the gentoo livecd

That's disappointing :(
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raftysworld wrote:
That's disappointing :(

yes i agree, I am thinking I will just integrate it myself somehow...
coolsnowmen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Workarounds... Reply with quote

cyberdork33 wrote:

I know how to use ndiswrapper, I know you need the windows drivers... I actually carry the drivers on a flashdrive so that I have them outside the installer (easily mounted)... but i still cannot use the drivers because ndiswrapper is not on the cd!

If you already have the drivers on a flash drive, why not just bring the ndiswrapper with you too?
its only 315kb

Code:
emerge -pv ndiswrapper

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] net-wireless/wireless-tools-27-r1  +nls 183 kB
[ebuild  N    ] net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.1-r1  -debug 132 kB

Total size of downloads: 315 kB

I dont know how hard it is to manually add it to a stage 3 tar file...but maybe someone should maintain a laptop friend version of install.
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Workarounds... Reply with quote

coolsnowmen wrote:
If you already have the drivers on a flash drive, why not just bring the ndiswrapper with you too?
its only 315kb

that is probably a good idea... I will have to look into that... I was going to take one of the new livecd's and try to hack into the fs and add ndiswrapper. See this thread if you are interested:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-21327-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: