cdrecord problems.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EEPS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: cdrecord problems. Reply with quote

Lately, when I try to burn a CD from an image with cdrecord, or x-cdroast, the cd burns and finishes without errors (it claims) however, it only writes maby half of the image to the cd. It is strange, there is no errors reported that I see, but it never finishes the cd correctly, anyone know whats going on?
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty wierd. I too am looking into burning cds, I don't want to use the ide-scsi emulation because (evidently) it sux, but I am having a bit of trouble going for ide-scsi-less burning, although dvds work fine. At any rate, my one idea is that maybe you are using bad media? how old are the disks? Cheap ones seem to degrade surprisingly fast. I would check to see if they work w/ any burning software that you know works, such as a friend's computer or Windoze.

PS Could you maybe post your commands (for cdrecord that is, since Xcdroast is frontend for it)? Especially if you aren't using emulation for ide burner? Because I'd like to see what you're up to if you don't need the emulation, I don't know how to do it myself.

Regards & good luck, dan.
EEPS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, ya, it is weird, I was trying to burn Fedora (gasp!) for my girlfriends computer. It is 4 CD's and I ended up using about 8 just to get 4 working ones. I didn't burn the working ones on my computer however because of this problem, so it quite possibly is the media. They have been in my car in the sun so that may be it to, but I am not convinced that it is why my setup only burns part of the image. Maby I will just re-emerge. Anyway, normally, if cdrecord is set up right, you can just use:
Code:

cdrecord isoname.iso

or usually on mine I use:
Code:

cdrecord -dev="ATAPI:0,0,0" isoname.iso

and you may have to specify -dao for disk at once, since my drive complains "Does not support sao mode" or something.
EEPS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways, I have found that K3B does everything that I need and it its nice and easy, I suggest using that, even though I know have to get kde libs and stuff (I use GNOME) it is worth it.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the info. If k3b is working on the same media, that's obviously not the problem i guess.
Yeah, kde libs R a pain, but lots of fun stuff uses them anyway (best example: kstars). At least you don't actually have to run kde tu use the libs! i prefer pwm ;)

I think trying to do things the 'new' way (whatever that was) prevented me from using the ATAPI: bus. that's what i always used to do too, but now cdrecord patently refuses to aknowledge my device. Oh well, i can still burn dvds anyway, im sure i can figure it out if i unexpectedly start caring more.
tutaepaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems recently burning CDs. This was using cdrecord from the cmdline, or using Graveman.
What I found was that as a normal user, I had to set the speed to 1. As root, it seemed to work.

Running cdrecord -v to burn a CD shows an error, (when running NOT as root) on startup about not having permissions to set the scheduler priority, and a failure message during the burn about IO errors. (this happens even with -dummy set) So I'm guessing that cdrecord needs to run at a higher priority when buring at full speed and when running as a normal user, it doesn't have sufficient priviledges to change scheduler priorities.

I found a few hits on google for this problem, but no solutions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: