NeroLINUX vs. K3b
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: NeroLINUX vs. K3b Reply with quote

Can anyone give me a reason as to why on earth I should buy Nero for linux as apposed to using K3b or any other free equivalent?

IMHO I really can't think of one.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want paid support and you like the windows version of Nero I could see those as valid reasons. Also in the case of Gentoo you might not want to go through the trouble of compiling kdelibs and k3b especially if you use Gnome.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any resons, besides, perhaps better, more intuitive interface (not that I have ever seen Nero).

I have not yet found things which I can't do with recording using Linux tools, especially the command line, but some interfaces are poorly designed/badly integrated, I admit.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
some interfaces are poorly designed/badly integrated, I admit.

I don't think that really describes k3b (although Nero might be better if you're running a GTK desktop, but then it has to compete with up-and-coming software like GnomeBaker).

I've seen some people comment vaguely about how Nero uses a different underlying library to access CDs (that is, it doesn't use cdrtools, cdrdao and the like), but I've never had any problems with k3b or any of the linux libraries so this seems to be of no real value to me.

Overall, I haven't seen a convincing case made for actually using Nero, unless you consider, "a company actually released software for Linux, so we'd better all use it to make them happy," to be convincing.
razorback
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that I have tried Nero for Linux is that I have a system with a burner that does not work properly with k3b. The use of cdrecord will hang the drive. The burner is a Cyberdrive CW078D. Nero for Linux works fine with this drive.
screemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found NeroLinux(trial) to be the only burner program to find my burner in an external USB2.0 case.

k3b would not detect it at all (using 0.11.24).....

I anyone has solved this, please let me know :)
JuNix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Nero really limited. I mean it always does a good burn of a DVD, but it buffer overflows like a bastard. But if I have VOB files and I want to create a Video DVD I use k3b and it works like a dream. Why though, does k3b only burn at 4xspeed max? :-)
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screemo wrote:
I found NeroLinux(trial) to be the only burner program to find my burner in an external USB2.0 case.

k3b would not detect it at all (using 0.11.24).....

I anyone has solved this, please let me know :)

Well I have a DVD Burner in a USB case and k3b works perfect with mine. I see no reason to use Nero at all, looks about the same as k3b, but k3b is free and so far has burned 100% perfect. Not one failed disc, of coarse I am comparing it to a Windows Nero.
fearofcarpet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: NeroLINUX vs. K3b Reply with quote

dessens wrote:
Can anyone give me a reason as to why on earth I should buy Nero for linux as apposed to using K3b or any other free equivalent?

IMHO I really can't think of one.

Yes, you can burn non-ISO9660 images directly.

Besides, some of us like supporting native Linux ports in general. Maybe you're not a gamer, but I'm sick of having to pollute my machine with a Windows partition just to play Splinter Cell 3. In my mind supporting ports of programs like Nero (which is a good app, but so is k3b) says "hey, Linux isn't just for zealots, programmers, and the Chinese government" so maybe some other good software will be brought to Linux if more than 2 people buy NeroLinux. Frankly the $20 I spent on Nero is worth being able to burn non-iso9660 images directly. In the end I see that and the $100 I donated to the Gentoo Foundation as $120 of Linux advocacy ;)
DarkMind
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeroLinux it's very bad... compare windows's version of nero and linux's version...

windows's version it's great, linux's version not...
soulfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's still relatively "young", give them time to improve the port...

anyway i tried nero and it's not that bad, also because it "integrates" better in my gnome desktop, and i do not have to install qt for k3b
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K3b shows the available burning speeds (The current ones also don't match) totally wrong and it only burns max 12x for me. There is also no buffer info when burning in DAO mode. I'm using a 716 ide.

Last edited by RaZoR1394 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tlaloc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3b and growisofs is also an uncertain thing on my box with an external usb/firewire dvd burner. Max speed goes only up to 4x for my 8x medias and no drive and fifo buffer information is shown. I have to say that also scsi is not working optimal on my box, but I don't know if there the hardware is to blame. But besides nero there is also cdrecord-ProDVD, which works well with my setup. I can pass it the -ts argument to avoid scsi problems and with the -v argument it shows me detailed information during the burning process and also after, e.g. how often the drive and fifo buffer were empty and their minimal fill and how many megabytes had to been written and how many actually were written. I can also actually burn 8x speed and the number of coasters has been very low so far (bad media probably to blame for coasters).

Bye, Valentin.
dev-urandom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats exactly the non-ISO9660 images that Nero handles which cdrecord isnt able to?

I am just curious here, cue/bin is handled beautifully by cfdrecord and k3b also. If its nrg that you are looking for give nrg2iso a try.
thagame
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuNix wrote:
I find Nero really limited. I mean it always does a good burn of a DVD, but it buffer overflows like a bastard. But if I have VOB files and I want to create a Video DVD I use k3b and it works like a dream. Why though, does k3b only burn at 4xspeed max? :-)

thats your burner. my dvd burner does 16x no prob.
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thagame wrote:
JuNix wrote:

thats your burner. my dvd burner does 16x no prob.

Must be your burner, mine does 8x no problem (which is all it is). I burn everything as fast as the drive will let me and nothing has ever failed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: