Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
can GLI(gentoo linux installer) shrink NTFS???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maglomanic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: can GLI(gentoo linux installer) shrink NTFS??? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Im planing on using GLI to install gentoo. Just dont want to lose my XP which occupies the entire space right now. Does anyone know if GLI will let me resize it and install gentoo on the freed space(does it use QTParted version that can be used to resize NTFS??).
An replies will be appreciated
rjpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: can GLI(gentoo linux installer) shrink NTFS??? Reply with quote

maglomanic wrote:
Hi guys,
Im planing on using GLI to install gentoo. Just dont want to lose my XP which occupies the entire space right now. Does anyone know if GLI will let me resize it and install gentoo on the freed space(does it use QTParted version that can be used to resize NTFS??).
An replies will be appreciated

http://www.sysresccd.org/ is the answer to your praiers, then use GLI. I don't believe that GLI will resize your NTFS partitions, no.
maglomanic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: does GLI use QTparted ??? Reply with quote

I was wondering if GLI uses QTparted to do partitions. The system rescue CD also have the sam esoftware. QTparted basically uses ntfsprog(which inturn uses ntfsresize).
If GLI is using the right version of QTparted then i should be able to resize and shrink my XP NTFS partition before installing gentoo on freed space.
am i right??
maglomanic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: helloo any GLI user??? Reply with quote

just love it when i get alot of replies :D
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the GLI cd is gnome/gtk based I don't think that it has qt on it, which would be necessary for qtparted. Take a look at www.distrowatch.com and search for a livecd with qtparted on it. I know that mepis does.
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are worried about losing a partition, (especially ntfs) i would not use the GLI... it is still in testing... I actually tried to do something similar, saving a partition on the disk, and the GLI just erased the entire disk...
maglomanic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Cyberdork thanks buddy for the advice. i was still thinkin of using GLI to shrink my ntfs but i guess thats gonna mess up my whole partition.
P.S : it's nice to know someone in alabama is hooked up with gentoo :). I was in Mobile for past 4 years. Good luck with hurricanes :)
cyberdork33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maglomanic wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Cyberdork thanks buddy for the advice. i was still thinkin of using GLI to shrink my ntfs but i guess thats gonna mess up my whole partition.
P.S : it's nice to know someone in alabama is hooked up with gentoo :). I was in Mobile for past 4 years. Good luck with hurricanes :)

I am actually in north alabama, but I am from central florida so i have had my share of the hurricanes
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: