3D Modeling/Render/Raytracer Software
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fungos Bauux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: 3D Modeling/Render/Raytracer Software Reply with quote

Hi, I have a softhouse in Brazil, where we develop small games. Our income isnt enought to buy 3D Max and Photoshop.. Our artists are a little relutant to use Linux (they have fear or dificulty learning new softwares).. But as new rules in out company, we will demand the use of Open Source and Freeware software. For windows we are planning to use GIMP and Milkshape.

But Im looking for good Open Source 3D Software (Not blender please, this is very very very complex for simple mundane artists).. Please, post here any software that you know (and links) and if you have used any, talk a little about the software pros and cons ..

Thank you
Spockmeat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as ray tracing goes, you can't go wrong with pov ray. It's been around a long time and it well supported and documented.
http://www.povray.org/

As far as modeling goes, blender is actually good, but I had a hard time learning it as compared to max or maya.
babo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think blender is not hard to learn, couse it was easyer for me to learn than maya or max, couse I find tutorials on blender site very helpful.

There is also wings3d for modeling, but I don't know what it is like.

And it's great to hear companies going on open source.
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not blender please, this is very very very complex for simple mundane artists

If they can learn 3dsMax they can learn Blender. I've used 3dsMax, Maya, and Blender and they're about the same in complexity. The problems usually comes from people trying to start using Blender without first going through the tutorial provided to show how everything works. If you don't go through the tutorials then of course it will seem complex. That can be said for any 3D package.

Yafray is a nice high quality ray tracer, and Blender supports it natively. Aqusis is also very good. It's a RenderMan compliant rendering engine.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
jschellhaass
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see jahshaka-2.0-rc1 is now in portage.

www.jahshaka.org

jeff
Fungos Bauux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will study Blender and Jahshaka (this has a simple interface, and may help) . But Blender looks better than I remember some years ago :) I will do some study with Blender. If you say that Blender has same difficulty than 3DMax, I think its good for our artists. One question, Blerder can use POV-Ray as Raytracer? Its easy to put they work together?

Any comments about writing plugins, importers, exporters ( Blender and/or Jahshaka)?
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungos Bauux wrote:
I will study Blender and Jahshaka (this has a simple interface, and may help) . But Blender looks better than I remember some years ago :) I will do some study with Blender. If you say that Blender has same difficulty than 3DMax, I think its good for our artists. One question, Blerder can use POV-Ray as Raytracer? Its easy to put they work together?

Any comments about writing plugins, importers, exporters ( Blender and/or Jahshaka)?

Blender is actually slightly easier then Max. Max has a little more to it. So if you want to go with power to everything, then Max is right, but at a high price. Some things require plugins that are not cheap.

With Blender you can get results almost the same as Max, but in less time. I have both and have done testing. Blender can render a scene in 1/2 the time Max takes to do the same setup. Also with Blender there is a bunch of plugins/scripts to do things that not only work are free.

So what it boils down to if you want free and open source your choices are limited, POVRAY or Blender. Wings isn't a rendering program, more like a modeller.

Check out this site http://www.elysiun.com/ for some sames of what people have done in Blender. Also a good source for scripts, plugins, and help.
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you can use PovRay from Blender, but it's not supported natively so it may be dificult to use and your results may vary quite a bit. I'd stick with Yafray. It has very high quality output and supports thigs like radiosity.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
darker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Art of Illusion [url]aoi.sourceforge.net[/url]
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darker wrote:
Try Art of Illusion [url]aoi.sourceforge.net[/url]

I'll check that out, of coarse Java apps are not very fast running apps, so I am sure rendering will be very, very slow.
Fungos Bauux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a modeller too (most important), so blender as a modeller is good and easy enought? Or better use some other modeller in a combo like Wings/Milkshape+Blender?
darker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, aoi's rendering is quite good (he added openGL support in the last release) and it is getting better all the time
chrisR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Wings is a better modeller than Blender on the whole but both have strengths and weaknesses. Blender is far far more than a modeller though. Use both as Blender will import Wings. Also if your doing 2D stuff which you can also do in Blender by the way then Inkscape and Gimp can be used to create 2D Geometry which can be imported into Blender successfully along with basic dxf from say QCad. Blender has an excellent online community at www.elysiun.com and the release cycles for Blender adding new and exciting functionality are about 4 a year, it's development team is hard at work, it's not one guy doing a bit of code when he gets a chance like so many Open source efforts (which I'm not knocking by the way, doing open source software is a gift to all and anyones efforts is so welcome). It's also available for MacOS, Linux and Windows. I know your looking for basic stuff but Blender will do that as well. Take a look at www.Blender3d.org in the Gallery download the Siggraph DVD and look at what can be done. The Blender community is buzzing with the Orange movie project and features going into Blender like Cloth simulation, softbodies and fluid dynamics, the animation systems been totally rewritten and work has gone into unifing the GUI. Don't be put off by the user interface, it IS intuitive. The append functions allowing many people to work on a CG project together linking your models into one combined workflow is also very helpful in a team working environment.

Blender also supports Yafray (www.yafray.org) which is an excellent open source render. It even supports hdri lighting and openexr file format 0.0.8, which can be viewed and manipulated with Cinepaint.

Blender, Gimp, Inkspace and Yafray is the best workflow your going to get with open source software on Linux. Blender has so much to offer, modeller, animation system, renderer, game engine, audio sequencer, video sequencer etc. Don't bother with any version under 2.37a (current) soon to be 2.40 (October) and Yafray 0.0.8 (not a Gentoo build yet though of 0.0.8 god knows why) but easy to build (scons)

Good luck.
DetectiveInspekta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get into some modeling so I can build my house designs.

I'm not sure what ray-trace does but I'm guessing its a rendering program and I should use a program like blender3d to make stuff then put it through ray-trace?
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetectiveInspekta wrote:

I'm not sure what ray-trace does but I'm guessing its a rendering program and I should use a program like blender3d to make stuff then put it through ray-trace?

Raytrace is basically a method of light/shadow tracing. Most 3d apps can do raytracing by now. Raytracing is slower, but produces more realistic type lighting/shadows. GI goes to the next step in producing more realistic light/shadow, but at the expense of time.

Blender 3d's biggest advantage is they support Linux, Winblows, and OSX. The .blend files will work on all three OSes and should produce the same render. Of coarse textures must be packed so that all machines get them. Another advantage to Blender is that it is freeware, so there is no need to shell out $1500 for a program that you may not use more than a few times. Once you learn Blender or any 3d creation app, it is easy to move from one to another, you just have to learn the differences. The basics you already know.

I took a few of my 3d Studio Max scenes and converted them to Blender 3d. Took very little time to get a working scene together with the models that I already had created.

For hobbiest, I would suggest getting Blender 3d. It is a good way to learn and see if you are going to like creating things in 3d that will not break the bank. There is also tons of support. I would recommend emerging blender and then go get the CVS build of Yafray v0.0.8 (since it has numberous bug and additions). Together with both of those there isn't much you cannot do. Yafray compiles/install very easy. Just cvs it, change to that directory, type in scons arch=(your system arch) IE: scons arch=athlon64 When that completes, type scons install. Then do a ldconfig, boom all installed and working fine.
Tronic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be doing anything serious, you need to forget the free software. They are simply completely unusable, compared to the better commercial ones. Softimage XSI is much cheaper than Maya or 3DSMax, but is actually very good (and available for Linux). It is generally regarded as one of the two best 3D/CG applications out there (the other is Maya, of course). The interface is very powerful and also far easier to learn than Blender (because it is consistent). The modeling tools are the best that I have ever used. All operations are put in a stack in a similar fashion to 3DSMax, so you can make changes for a base model of a complex serie of operations and instantly see the result. The texturing (like many other things in XSI) is node-based, so it is very flexible. Animation tools are pretty much the same as in other programs, but some basic physics (rigid body, soft body, cloth, hair) simulation is included. The renderer (Mental Ray) is fairly slow and it is somewhat tricky to get very good quality (compared to Newtek Lightwave). Of course you still cannot even dream about this kind of quality with Blender's renderer. Perhaps you could do something with yafray, but since that is fairly new, I don't go guessing yet.
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetectiveInspekta wrote:

Are you trying to do design or visualization? 3D apps and raytrace rendering are a bit overkill, and clumsy for design work. But great for visualization. If you're doing visualization you may want to go beyond simple raytracing and use radiosity.

If you're more into design, you want more of a CAD like program. Qcad is a decent open source CAD program for architecture. There are other open source CAD programs for other types of design, like BRL-CAD. (very nice!)
skyPhyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to go the closed source route I can highly recommend XSI. I'm a TD (who happens to specialize in XSI) at a production company and have used Max and Maya also. XSI is by far the most artist friendly and definitely has the easiest and most flexible workflow of the lot. Though if you're looking for particles and effects work then you'd want to take a look at Houdini as these are areas of weakness for XSI atm.

As far as open source I have to say I'm highly impressed with blender. It's really quite a solid and feature filled package - an great effort by the open source community - I can see it becoming a serious option for even mid-range productions in future versions.

Cheers,

Alan.
kanis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use an open source alternative to Blender, you really have only one other feasible option: POV Ray, and 90% of the POV Ray stuff you see out there is a few reflective spheres on a checkered plane. I'm not saying that it's bad software (on the contrary, it's great), but it's just um... well, POV Ray. But give it a whirl and see if you like it.

But honestly, going open source in the 3D market is probably just as smart as jumping out of a plane without a parachute. You might get away with it in the 2D market with GIMP (but that's a whole other argument), but in 3D you only have a few roads to take, and most of them aren't open-source.

If you decide to forego the whole idealistic open-source crusade for this one market, choose XSI or Maya.

I run Maya in Linux, and while it may be expensive, it's still pretty functional. Since 6.5+, the included Mental Ray renderer has also improved dramatically in quality. The only problem is that Maya has a learning curve, but it didn't take me too long to switch ( I used to be a Max guy (Lightwave before that)). Another issue with Maya is that you don't get a lot of extras (like fur/hair and cloth extensions) if you don't get the Unlimited edition.

Blender is also a decent program, but I don't use it. I don't know why.

Also, for whatever choice you take, there's a whole community/forum dedicated to discussion/tutorials/theory about the whole shabang at CGTalk -- http://forums.cgsociety.org/

They even have a Blender section.
francoisp31
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use blender, gimp & povray too. Sometimes I also use some external renderer to get the final image/video.

Blender is very well documented so it is a very good solution, IMHO, it is easy to use & fast.
In facts I prefer Blender to all I used before for several years, 3DSMAX, Lightwace, Truspace etc.....
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanis wrote:
If you want to use an open source alternative to Blender, you really have only one other feasible option: POV Ray, and 90% of the POV Ray stuff you see out there is a few reflective spheres on a checkered plane. I'm not saying that it's bad software (on the contrary, it's great), but it's just um... well, POV Ray. But give it a whirl and see if you like it.

There's lot's of OpenSource RenderMan software available too... Pixie and Aqsis work very well and are freely available.
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francoisp31 wrote:
I use blender, gimp & povray too. Sometimes I also use some external renderer to get the final image/video.

Blender is very well documented so it is a very good solution, IMHO, it is easy to use & fast.
In facts I prefer Blender to all I used before for several years, 3DSMAX, Lightwace, Truspace etc.....

I agree here. I have Max r7 with a bunch of plugins, but since playing with the newest version of Blender and Yafray I haven't touched Max. The plus about open source is that many people work on the project and add things in. So apps can be updated quicker. You can use Blender as an example. Blender a year ago was 1/4 the program it is today.. Max 1 year ago was pretty much the same. And from what I have seen and heard, the next Blender is coming out with much more stuff added. More animation stuff and a fluid system.

Blender can be faster to Render a scene then Max, but it can also be slower. It all depends on how you light the scene and what render settings you use.

Both Max and Blender work great, but when it boils down to it, Blender costs less to get running. So for hobbiest or someone wanting to learn it is a good choice. After you learn it you can move up or stay with it. Some people can create work that you cannot tell it was done with Blender, looks like it was a high end app, so it will eventually come down to talent/learning.

Blender has a great community for that. If you post a render they will tell you what needs to be fixed and not be-little you like the Max forum users do. Also Blenders approch to working on all major OSes is a big plus. If you are using a Windows, Linux, or Mac OSX version you won't really notice a difference (except in performance, with Windows being the slowest).

Anything that offers itself free, with loads of support is worth a shot. Just look at Linux (Gentoo) itself. It is open source, free, with good support. Blows Windows away for most things, other than drivers, but that is a M$ designed problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: