How hard is it to install gentoo 2005.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faheja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: How hard is it to install gentoo 2005.1 Reply with quote

Ive heard a couple rumors about this. Just want to verify them. First im downloading it right now.. But i was wondering how the install was? i mean i have 2005.0 and that took 3 days of hell. I took it off the other day, and hopefully 2005.1 is going to be cool. Is it going to take 3 days? is it really a graphical install? like redhat in a way?

just wondering..

Thanks.
- Jon
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to install gentoo 2005.1 Reply with quote

faheja wrote:
Ive heard a couple rumors about this. Just want to verify them. First im downloading it right now.. But i was wondering how the install was? i mean i have 2005.0 and that took 3 days of hell. I took it off the other day, and hopefully 2005.1 is going to be cool. Is it going to take 3 days? is it really a graphical install? like redhat in a way?

Do you still have gentoo installed? If so, do the following:
Code:
emerge --sync && emerge -uD world
etc-update  (or dispatch-conf, or cfg-update, etc...)

Congratulations, you have sucessfully "installed" 2005.1

You can also change your /etc/make.profile symlink to point to the new 2005.1 profile, but that's not a major change and there's no rush.

Please, please, please understand that saying that you "have 2005.0" or "have 2005.1" is meaningless, and reveals a severe lack of understanding of how portage works. What matters is the last time you synced and updated world.

If you need to do a new install, I imagine installing from the 2005.1 release won't be significantly different than 2005.0 was. But it's always easier the second time around, because you understand more of what's going on.

Just makre sure you use a stage3 tarball. That's the important thing as far as avoiding 3 days of hell goes.
faheja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i got to the end of it, and the grub was messed up. I posted tons of forums and no one really knows how to fix what my problem is.. SO i guess im just going to do a new install. I did do stage 3. took 9 hours to compile and 2 days of hell trying to figure out what to do :P
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faheja wrote:
no, i got to the end of it, and the grub was messed up. I posted tons of forums and no one really knows how to fix what my problem is.. SO i guess im just going to do a new install. I did do stage 3. took 9 hours to compile and 2 days of hell trying to figure out what to do :P

Well then, I guess you need more practice ;)
faheja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

want to help me fix my problem? before i delete it?
faheja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2640093.html#2640093

first of all me and this other guy tryed to figure it out if you want to read what we did that would help
I did what he said and recomiled the kernel for the newer versian 2.6, but for some reason its still 2.4.
when i boot up i see the grub, and splash image, looks nice and everything but when i hit enter i get this message

root (hd0,0)
filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x86
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.4.28-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev
[linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x1687af]
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.4.28-gentoo-r9

error 15 file not found

DO you have any ideas what i did wrong?? IM desperate. Its been 3 days of this now... im new if you didnt already know heh, but i know alittle on what im doing. Thanks if you help me
faheja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and i made the grub /boot too just forgot to post that.
faheja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that i think about it, i might just do a clean install. but if i start from scratch in stage 3, you think i can do it in a day?
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faheja wrote:
Well, now that i think about it, i might just do a clean install. but if i start from scratch in stage 3, you think i can do it in a day?

Sure. A few hours is more like it. Just compile things like X, kde, gnome etc overnight if you need them.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faheja wrote:

If you haven't cleaned your disk yet cd to /usr/src/linux and rebuild your kernel without initrd.

Code:

cd /usr/src/linux
make bzImage && make modules modules_install
make install

zweigart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a bit trivial, but:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.4.28-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev

error 15 file not found

are grub messages: grub tells you what he tries to do: Seems to me it tries to load your old 2.4 kernel
=>have you rewritten your grub.conf ??? so that grub targets your new kernel ?

default 0
timeout 20
splashimage=(hda0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title= Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.blabla root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.blabla
utente
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faheja wrote:
root (hd0,0)

error 15 file not found

To me too GRUB install has been a pain in the ass :evil:

On my system, at last came out that "root(hd0,0)" must be written WITHOUT ANY SPACES and this way all works fine. One whole day spent for finding this out. How cool.

The main problem of opensource stuff... great programs, great coders, but get suddenly constipated at the moment of write down program documentation... folks take some literary laxatives please... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

utente wrote:
faheja wrote:
root (hd0,0)

error 15 file not found

To me too GRUB install has been a pain in the ass :evil:

On my system, at last came out that "root(hd0,0)" must be written WITHOUT ANY SPACES and this way all works fine. One whole day spent for finding this out. How cool.

The main problem of opensource stuff... great programs, great coders, but get suddenly constipated at the moment of write down program documentation... folks take some literary laxatives please... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I never had a problem with the Gentoo docu, or any of the Linux docs. GRUB seems to use a sensible method for numbering, but I am an engineer.

Gentoo is supprisingly easy to install IF
1) you know you rcomputer well
2) you are patient
3) you follow and READ every step, say twice to make sure you read it correctly.

All the guides tell you exactly what to do
utente
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt an engineer can easily get a working grub... however there are many people having troubles with it, so IMHO it needs to be explained far better than now. It's a crucial package, the docs provided are fine for a pro but not enough for the others, this seems clear to me.

(edit) the guides don't tell EXACTLY what to do: the "no spaces" catch wasn't written anywhere in the docs (I read them :-)
It must be trivial for you, but not for me...
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read the handbook again
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

and I see no spaces?

equally Gentoo isn't really the best distro for someone with minimal computer/linux experience. There are lots of pitholes
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is with a space in between, so
Code:

root (hd0,0)

and not
Code:

root(hd0,0)

And just to tell you that this isn't a Gentoo quirk, the official GRUB documentation also uses whitespace separation between root and (hd0,0).

Oh, and a lot of Gentoo users who aren't engineers were able to install Gentoo as well, and the numbering is logical for every person who had formal mathematics in their curriculum :)
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faheja wrote:

Perhaps it would make more sense to concentrate on setting it up corectly and to try to understand why you do things, instead of trying to do it as fast as possible.

Know your system, do some research and read the docs and the forums as thoroughly as possible and you will only have to do this once! :wink:
nth10sd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can also change your /etc/make.profile symlink to point to the new 2005.1 profile, but that's not a major change and there's no rush.

What's the exact command to do this? Apparently I went to "ls /etc/make.profile/" and there were a couple of subdirectories there. Thanks.
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
ls -ld /etc/make.profile

It's just a symlink. I haven't bothered to look into the implications of switching yet (2005.0 was a fairly big change, and I don't expect many this time around).
nth10sd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the answer! Just run, as root:

Code:
cd /etc/
ln -sfn /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1/ make.profile

and the symlink is changed!

One implication is that the top section of the output of emerge info changes from:

Code:
Portage 2.0.51.22-r2 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 i686)

to:

Code:
Portage 2.0.51.22-r2 (default-linux/x86/2005.1, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 i686)

This change in symlink, besides emerge -vuD --newuse world, will upgrade the gentoo box from 2005.0 to 2005.1. :D

I am not sure of the other implications of this change though.. Perhaps someone else can help..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: