System Monitor Memory Reporting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanPixel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: System Monitor Memory Reporting Reply with quote

Stupid Question: I have 1GB of RAM installed on my system. The Gnome System Monitor reports my system as having 820MB of RAM installed. I also noticed this figure in the Help > About of VMWare Workstation. Is there a reserved set of memory that I'm not aware of?
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: System Monitor Memory Reporting Reply with quote

HumanPixel wrote:
Stupid Question: I have 1GB of RAM installed on my system. The Gnome System Monitor reports my system as having 820MB of RAM installed. I also noticed this figure in the Help > About of VMWare Workstation. Is there a reserved set of memory that I'm not aware of?
Linux only uses the first ~870 megabytes or so of RAM. If you want to use 1 GB of your RAM you'll need to enable high memory support (up to 4G) in your kernel configuration under the processor type and features menu.

Edit: I forget that you can also use a patch by Con Kolivas to enable 1 GB of lowmem, but that's said to break some applications such as VMware. :o
HumanPixel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know... Does the Himem support in the kernel have any adverse effects on VMWare also?
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanPixel wrote:
Good to know... Does the Himem support in the kernel have any adverse effects on VMWare also?
None that I'm aware of.
HumanPixel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd. I've compiled in the 4GB support but my memory remains the same. Is there a config file somewhere capping it?
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanPixel wrote:
It's odd. I've compiled in the 4GB support but my memory remains the same. Is there a config file somewhere capping it?

No. Look for that in your dmesg output:
Code:
On node 0 totalpages: 196592
  DMA zone: 4096 pages, LIFO batch:1
  Normal zone: 192496 pages, LIFO batch:31
  HighMem zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:1

You should have some pages in the "HighMem zone". If you don't have any, recheck your kernel config (zcat /proc/config.gz, and look for CONFIG_HIMEM4G in there).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: