[SOLVED] Problems syncing in chapter 6 of handbook
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwaring
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Problems syncing in chapter 6 of handbook Reply with quote

I've been following the handbook to install Gentoo on my x86 laptop with the latest release (2005.1). I've got as far as entering the new environment using chroot, but when I try to run emerge --sync to update my portage tree I get the following error for every rotation mirror:

Code:
>>>
>>> SERVER OUT OF DATE: rsync://217.160.133.135/gentoo-portage
>>>

Obviously the IP changes based on which rotation I use. I've tried rsync1.de, rsync.de, rsync.fr and rsync.uk (which doesn't always resolve anyway) but got the same error message. At first I thought my clock might be set wrong, but the output of date is the same as my Mac laptop (which uses ntp to keep up to date and is more or less the same as every clock in my house so I'm guessing it's right :)). For what it's worth, the output of date is:

Code:
Sat Aug 13 14:45:27 Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page 2005

I'm not sure why there's an error about the local time zone not being set (that's the only thing I can think of) because I haven't actually got that far in the installation process. I've tried searching for "server out of date" on the forums but nothing related seems to come up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm getting this error? I'm in a bit of a fix as I'm half way through installing and I don't really want to pull out now and be left with an unbootable system.

Last edited by pwaring on Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
radoslawc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
have you tried emerge-webrsync ?
also try to add SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage" to /etc/make.conf (tried today :))
“You know all those extra lines of code that we sometimes refer to as bloatware. It's actually very important and efficient stuff. There is some very substantial functionality built into the operating system.” Laura DiDio
pwaring
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Europe one seems to be working - I didn't want to try a web sync if at all possible because I think that downloads everything rather than just the parts that have changed, which takes a relatively long time. I don't know why the uk/de/fr ones weren't working though, as presumably europe choses one of them anyway (in fact I think I got sent to a de one this time). Could have just been a temporary problem I guess.

Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: