Installing Gentoo on a FX-53 AMD 64 with SATA and RAID 0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo on a FX-53 AMD 64 with SATA and RAID 0 Reply with quote

Hello,

Will there be any problems if I try and freshly install gentoo on a system that is 64 bit FX-53, and a RAID 0 configuration? I have two SATA WD Raptor Drives at 10k rpm. I am worried, gentoo will not install properly with this setup. I am going to get rid of windows on it and am looking for any tips or thoughts, or anybody that has any experience in this to let me know how it works out or if there is anything special i need to do. Thank you.

John
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo on a FX-53 AMD 64 with SATA and RAID 0 Reply with quote

xkalibur1554 wrote:
Hello,

Will there be any problems if I try and freshly install gentoo on a system that is 64 bit FX-53, and a RAID 0 configuration? I have two SATA WD Raptor Drives at 10k rpm. I am worried, gentoo will not install properly with this setup. I am going to get rid of windows on it and am looking for any tips or thoughts, or anybody that has any experience in this to let me know how it works out or if there is anything special i need to do. Thank you.

John

Installing Gentoo mainly depends on if there are drivers that support your SATA and RAID. Other than that there shouldn't be a problem.
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would i know where to look for these drivers?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output of the command lspci should show you what sata controller your mainboard has. Then find out which driver you need in the kernel for that controller and enable it in the kernel config file. Then build a new kernel

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should i do that, before i even install it? i havent installed it yet, but will, when i run the livecd or whatever, do i do lspci then? then before i build the kernel, where do i enable it after i have found it? thank you.
darker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot the livecd and follow the installation guide. When you are at the part when you need to build the kernel run lspci to see what modules you need. Then you can select these modules in the kernel configuration window.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xkalibur1554 wrote:
should i do that, before i even install it? i havent installed it yet, but will, when i run the livecd or whatever, do i do lspci then? then before i build the kernel, where do i enable it after i have found it? thank you.
Since lspci is on the livecd running it after booting the cd would be a good time. Or you could just search these forums to find out what sata controller your mainboard has and what driver you need for it. Configuring and building the kernel is described in the Installation Handbook
You may need to boot the cd with the command gentoo doscsi so that it loads the sata drivers then. If you do that and then when it has finished booting do lsmod you should get a list of loaded modules, amongst which the driver for your sata controller.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i load gentoo, the livecd, and run fdisk, "fdisk /dev/hda" it says Device Contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor SUN, SGI......."

then when i type "p" for the partitions, none come up. how do i recognize my raid 0, so that i can configure the partitions? i dont want windows on here anymore, could someone assist me with this?

thank you.
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also says that "Disk /dev/hda: 69MB"

so when i make the boot partition, there is no room left after it is created, it says no cylinders avaliable. I have to 74 GB Raptor Drives in a raid 0. When i do lspci, or lsmod, it shows the sata stuff loaded, but fdisk does not recognize it, how do i manage the partitions?

thank you
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, after many hours of fighting it, i have realized that /dev/sda is the first drive, and /dev/sdb is the second drive. now together they are /dev/sda1. i have created the partitions on that, but when i goto write it in fdisk, it comes up

The Partition Table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid Argument.
The kernel still uses the old table.
The new table will be used at next reboot.
Syncing disks.

What does this mean? I cannot create the filesystems, because in /dev it only lists sda1, not the sda1p1, sda1p2, and sda1p3 partions that I have made. How do I bring them up in the /dev so I can create the filesystems? Please help me, I am going insane.

Thank you.
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to follow the wiki how to, but i am still having problems, if someone could just walk me through a raid 0 setup, i would appreciate it. i just need to know how to create the partitions, create the filesystem, then mount it so that i can download the tarballs. if anyone can help me, please do.

thank you,

john
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/sda1 is never /dev/sda and /dev/sdb together. When you start using RAID, you will either have a single /dev/sda (when the RAID is full hardware RAID) or /dev/md0 (when the Linux kernel has to do some RAIDing stuff as well, which happens with pseudo-hardware RAID and software RAID).
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well when i have the two, and follow the wiki how to on installing with a raid, and i am only doing a raid 0, how do i go about mounting the raid and putting a filesystem on the 3 partitions of the raid? do i just make the 3 identical partitions on each drive, and make 3 identical filesystems on each of the two drives? then when i go to mount it how do I do it? it seems like the wiki guide is unclear in this.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use RAID, you shouldn't touch the individual drives anymore. Just "edit" the metadevice (the RAID one).
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, on the install, i have gotten all the way to where i "emerge grub" and configure it and install it to the mbr.

the problem I am having now is that when i emerge grub, it compiles and everything, but at the end it says

"*Copying Files from /lib/grub and /usr/lib/grub to /boot
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0"

my /boot partition in the raid is md0. how do i fix this, or point the grub install to the right partition/disk?

i am almost there....

thank you all for your help

john
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xkalibur1554 wrote:
ok, on the install, i have gotten all the way to where i "emerge grub" and configure it and install it to the mbr.

the problem I am having now is that when i emerge grub, it compiles and everything, but at the end it says

"*Copying Files from /lib/grub and /usr/lib/grub to /boot
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0"

my /boot partition in the raid is md0. how do i fix this, or point the grub install to the right partition/disk?

i am almost there....

thank you all for your help

john

That is a normal error. Grub does allow creating a boot floppy for your system and scans for a floppy in the drive, ignore that error and it should do into the grub> screen.
xkalibur1554
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but when i get into the grub> screen, and do the root (hd0,0) it recognizes the etx2fs but will not find the stage1 or 2 file that is in there. and will not install it to the mbr. also, if i do root (hd1,0) which is the actual root partition, it does not recognize the file system. everything is ready to go, i just need to get grub working. any ideas, or do you want me to just use this floppy? how would i make it if i need to?

thank you,

johh
Ma3oxuct
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently set up the same thing that you set up, and for grub, I followed this guide: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/mailing-list/2003-07/1270.html

Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: