View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: KDE 3.4.2 removal please Reply with quote

hello i installed kde-meta and i know that's a huge mistake and i would like to uninstall it and go with fluxbox

ive been reading some threads and i see how to do it for earlier versions of kde. and the kde website doesnt have documentation for removal.

i would like to have complete removal so that i can clear up a lot of space.
JTHM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you would have to do is "emerge -C kde-meta" (along with any other KDE packages in your /var/lib/portage/world file), then run emerge depclean -va.

HOWEVER be VERY careful when running depclean. It might just be easier to emerge depclean -vp, then look through the output and manually unmerge everything KDE-related. Definitely don't run it w/o something like -va or -vp to at least look through what's going to be removed first.

After that's done, run revdep-rebuild to fix any broken libraries, then go ahead and emerge fluxbox.

I think that's the standard procedure for removing a meta package like kde (split e-builds or monolithic) or gnome. If there's a better way, somebody please let me know.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know one way to do it:

Code:

cd /usr/portage/kde-base
emerge -C *
cd /usr/portage/kde-misc
emerge -C *

This can be dangerous as it will unmerge anything in those folders, but remerging the stuff you needed should resolve it.
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
LaoTzuTao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an emerge --unmerge kde-meta, then emerge -av depclean and it should remove all the kde dependencies it installed for kde-meta. You might have other stale dependencies laying around that emerge -av depclean will try to remove, make sure nothing important is going to be removed before you say yes...to be safe when its done, run revdep-rebuild and it should reinstall any broken dependencies. You're gonna need gentoolkit installed, if its not, emerge -va gentoolkit. Good luck!
NVidia GeForce 6800
Samsung Syncmaster 712n
elde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the replies

so i tried those methods, and when i did emerge xorg-x11 i read that it was already installed or something and it was emerging it anyways

xorg-x11 shoulndt be larger than kde-meta right? part way through the emerge it said it ran out of space.
elde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the x11 emerge borked, im stuck at some gui with a login and a console but i cant do anything.

also i still would like to completely get rid of kde-meta and install x11 so i can use fluxbox.

would anyone recommend just reformatting the partitions and doing over the whole gentoo install? i dont have any sensative documents or anythign so data being lost isnt an issue, but i'd like to know how to handle this without just starting over as well.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

emerge -Ca /var/db/pkg/kde-base/*-3.4.*

That should do it.
JTHM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DId you unmerge Xorg? If so, how come? If not, why do you need it re-emerged? As for the error message, did you follow that Gentoo tip about mounting Portage's work directory to tmpfs (if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you haven't :F)? As for the size, I think xorg is larger than any of the individual packages in kde-meta (kde-meta is just a huge list of smaller packages), so it might be that your partition is running out of space for some reason. How big is your harddrive, and how much free space do you have? Also, it might help to post a few lines of the error message.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: