Emerging lilypond failure
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanktalus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Emerging lilypond failure Reply with quote

I'm not sure what this means:

Code:
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-media-sound_-_lilypond-2.0.3-8060.log"

mkdir:     /root/.PfaEdit

That last line is repeated about a hundred times - in fact, the log file has 134 of them, so I presume that's also what's on the console.

I've tried getting musescore to work (can't figure out the font that is required for 0.06, besides it's too slow, downloaded 0.1 from their website, and it crashed on startup), and can't figure out how to get denemo to insert a note - any note: whole, half, quarter, etc., nor any rests nor pretty much anything other than setting the initial clef and key signature. I am hoping that lilypond will work, but for some reason the emerge fails (probably because emerge detects the mkdir outside of the sandbox - but I would have thought that whoever submitted the ebuild would have had a patch to clean that up, so it's probably something else).

Any help in getting some sort of working OSS music score editor would be appreciated. Thanks,
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lilypond version found is portage is currently undergoing last minuite restoration in preparation for it's pending national tour titled "Paleontology and the pre-historic musician". Check your local gallery's schedule to see if it will be showing.

If you haven't caught on yet, I'm saying it's o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-old. I've found it easier to just install one of the newer versions by hand and go from there. You may also want to look into using NoteEdit as a music score editor.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
matc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanktalus,

Take a careful look at the bug reports (search for "lilypond") and forum posts. I saw one bug report that seemed to describe your problem.

You say you're looking for an "OSS music score editor." Perhaps I'm wrong, but I take that to mean you want to create MIDI files as well as scores. I understand that lilypond can do that, but that doesn't seem to be its main purpose. I'll second FishB8's suggestion that you look at noteedit. I had it for a while but unmerged it. I don't recall the exact reason other than that I wasn't using it. I think it did what it was supposed to do.

Getting back to what I think you're trying to find, you might also take a look at rosegarden.

If you're still interested in lilypond, I'd say go for one of the later versions rather than stick with the Gentoo-stable version. I never tried 2.0.3, but I've had and used (and liked) 2.2.4. More recently I emerged 2.5.2 and 2.4.2 (in that order--I downgraded to a non-development version) on my system, so it can be done. I don't remember having trouble emerging 2.2.4, but I had to consult the forums and bug reports to get the later versions to emerge.

Good luck!
dmdavis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Create /root/.PfaEdit by hand Reply with quote

I was getting that same error, so I created the directory .PfaEdit in my /root/ directory, and then lilypond 2.2.4 compiled fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: