View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seektheguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Galeon windows a plenty, settings not saving, and no mozilla Reply with quote

Here are a few questions, sort of put together in one. First of all, I've been having some problems with galeon. I set it up a few days ago and since sometime yesterday, whenever I start it up, it opens like a million windows, If I let it go, it just keeps going and eventually becomes really hard to stop, as the system monitor window keeps getting blocked. I unmerged it and mozilla yesterday and emerged it again today, not sure why it won't work right. Next, I know mozilla is supposed to be part of the deal with galeon, so I'd like to try that out sometime. Whenever I try to start that up, it just doesn't open. I look in the process list and occasionally it is there, but eventually shuts down. Finally, whenever I reboot my system, I lose settings like the names of my workspaces and such. Thanks ahead of time.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you run mozilla from a terminal? Does it report any errors?

As for the workspaces, what window manager/desktop are you using?
Seektheguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that when I run mozilla from a command prompt, nothing shows up. No messages. And, as for the window manager, I'm using gnome 2.2.
borrito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I am having the same problem.

If I run mozilla, I get no output on console, just segmentation fault. Running mozilla --verbose was not any more insightfull. Galeon at least comes up, but just keeps spawning windows.

I have tried re-emerging mozilla and galeon, no luck. I re-emerged xfree, fontconfig, mozilla, galeon... no difference.

I also am running gnome 2.2, also.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I have the same "workspace" issue. I just don't log out very often. I'd imagine its a bug, but I haven't looked into it.

As for the mozilla issue, thats interesting. Have you tried doing an emerge -C mozilla (probably wouldn't hurt to do it on galeon too)? Note the "man emerge" warning:
Code:
unmerge (-C)
              WARNING:  This action can remove important packages! Removes all
              matching packages.  This does no checking of dependencies, so it
              may  remove  packages necessary for the proper operation of your
              system.  Its arguments can be  ebuilds,  classes,  or  dependen-
              cies--see clean above for examples.

Apolonius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to delete /usr/lib/mozilla/components/compreg.dat and everything will go fine :)
borrito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apolonius: I just came across https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=35395 which mentioned the same thing. While this stopped the multitude of windows, mozilla just quietly exits and galeon now segfaults.
Seektheguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got rid of that config file and it worked. Galeon now opens only one window. Thank you. As for the desktop settings, it seems more than just the name of the workspaces is being lost. Also, my settings on panels is changing. The panels themselves stay fine, but since I accidently added panels a few reboots ago, and then deleted them, whenever I reboot the system, they are back again. Perhaps this is part of the same glitch as the workspaces..
grom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: i also am experiancing this problem Reply with quote

same for me as above, galeon just segfaults, phoenix still works, which is good enough, but i really like galeon. mmm oh well, maybe i'll just chill with phoenix for now and wait until some later releases come out or something.
grom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got Galeon working. I was originally running KDE and just KDE, but I emerged Gnome 2.2, which then fixed galeon for whatever reason. I had also done that fix mentioned above, which didn't work for me.

(Written on Galeon :D )

Grom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: