Problems with burned dvds
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luc484
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Problems with burned dvds Reply with quote

Hi. I'm using the dvd burner of my laptop but I'm finding some problems with it and k3b. If I burn a dvd with only some big files, let's say 5 or 6, everything is ok. If I try instead to burn a dvd with more files, let's say something like 12 sometime it works and sometime it doesn't. After that, if I insert the dvd it says that the medium has not been recognized. I tried to read the dvd with windows, but it shows no file. Does someone have any idea of what could be wrong? Maybe some k3b option? Or something else?
Thanks.
sn4ip3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a laptop (with a toshiba dvd -/+ writer) and I use k3b. Recently I've found that certain dvd brands don't seem to work at all, burning process seems to be fine, but when reading the drive there is only a medium error about not being able to read capacity. I've had both + and - disks fail, but + seems to fail more often (though not individual discs in one 10pack, rather all disks in some 10packs).

So, you could try cleaning the laser and try to find out if the problem is related to dvd brands. And, you could make sure that the problem is (or is not) in the software by burning the same type of disc in windows (for example with Nero). If testing for a problem in soft/hard-ware, you might want to use rewritable discs;)
Tlaloc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to try to burn an iso with cdrecord-prodvd instead of growisofs which I cannot use due to scsi problems to see if it is software related. I always make an iso of the files I want to burn with k3b and burn them with cdrecord-prodvd. It worked very well so far, 2 coasters out of 30 attempts which were most likely media related.
Bye, Valentin.
Luc484
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks. I have a Toshiba laptop too. It could be something media related in fact I realize now that all the dvds are from different set of new dvds but all of the same brand. I did some tests with a TDK dvd-rw as well, and every test went ok. Maybe that could be the problem.
I would have tried with some other windows software like nero if I had windows, but I don't have it, so it would be difficult. I'll try the solution suggested by Tlaloc.
Thanks for the moment. I'll try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: