Can't download the kernel??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Can't download the kernel?? Reply with quote

I just bumbed into another problem with my installation. If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate hearing it.

I did an "emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources".

Most of it seems to work okay but toward the end I get the message "Couldn't download Linux ... tar ..." kernel something.

My eth0 device is working perfectly. I can ping localhost, web sites, whatever.

www.iblibio.org returns a 303 Move Temporarily.
distro.iblibio.org returns a 403 forbiden.
www.kernel.org returns a 403 as well.

I assume the emerge is trying these different web sites to get the kernel tar ball.

I am accessing the Internet through a hardware firewall but have not a problem getting stuff through it. Ever! Even the "emerge sync" worked just fine as far as I could tell.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Carlos
The Dark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Can't download the kernel?? Reply with quote

carlos123 wrote:
I just bumbed into another problem with my installation. If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate hearing it.

I did an "emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources".

Most of it seems to work okay but toward the end I get the message "Couldn't download Linux ... tar ..." kernel something.

My eth0 device is working perfectly. I can ping localhost, web sites, whatever.

www.iblibio.org returns a 303 Move Temporarily.
distro.iblibio.org returns a 403 forbiden.
www.kernel.org returns a 403 as well.

I assume the emerge is trying these different web sites to get the kernel tar ball.

I am accessing the Internet through a hardware firewall but have not a problem getting stuff through it. Ever! Even the "emerge sync" worked just fine as far as I could tell.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Carlos

after emerge sync

Try #source /etc/profile
#env-update
and then try again see if it's helps

It seems that you have to keep telling gentoo where files are all the time .
Maybe i'm doing it the wrong way maybe someone knows how to make this permanent...?? Let me know.
http://www.gentoo.org
atac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to set GENTOO_MIRRORS in /etc/make.conf to one of the ibiblio mirrors.
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/MIRRORS.html
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the input.

I wanted to get on the forum last night and say that I had found a workaround but could not since the workaround involved disconnecting my hardware firewall and hooking up the computer on which I was installing Gentoo straight to my ADSL modem using DHCP (effectively disconnecting the other computer I was using to communicate on the forum).

I don't know if that was truly the problem but after seeing it work I decided to restart the installation from scratch in case I had missed other items during prior emerges.

Thanks again.

Carlos
Lasitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it worked before without error, you didn't miss anything. If the firewall was truly the issue, you wouldn't have been able to download anything else before (assuming your didn't change your firewall settings.) RC2 is new and is under constant update. Sometimes things don't make it to all the mirrors. You should leave it for a little bit and try again. I did have a problem when I was setting my firewall on my new gentoo box. I blocked ports that it needed. You do have to allow the rsync port and the http or ftp port I believe. A good test to see if it is your firewall is to do an emerge sync and see if that works.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time I did the "emerge sync" most things seemed to download okay but I did notice a couple of times when attempts to contact the FTP site returned a "403 Forbidden" error. At the time I saw those I just assumed there was a problemm with the site that emerge was tryign to contact.

That's why when I saw the emerging of sources working when I connected straight up to my ADSL modem I thought it best to go back and redo at least the "emerge sync" part.

Thanks.

PS. I now have a bootable install! Now if I can just login I'll be on my way :) but that's the subject of another thread I posted.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: