MBR totally hosed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowplane676
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: MBR totally hosed Reply with quote

ok, i had gentoo working on mysystem with GRUB doing a dual boot with Windows XP just fine. tried installing FC 4 (the distro my college uses) and hosed my MBR, i finally got it so FC4 runs (although i hate it, donno how to do anything in it like gentoo) but now NTLDR is MIA and i cannot get to teh recovery console of an XP cd. it will say Detecting hardware.... tehn blackscreen. anyone have any idea how to fix this? all my stuff is still stored on NTFS and most of it is in RAID 0.

thanks
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had an MBR problem discussed here. I used the 'lilo -M /dev/XXX mbr' command to wipe my mbr. Maybe this will solve your problem. When you wipe the MBR, the first partition marked as active is supposed to boot. Anyways, I hope this points you in the right direction.

note: before using the 'lilo -M' command, make sure to read 'man lilo' FIRST...
Let me guess, you picked out yet another colorful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn and turn until OOP! big shock, a jack pops out and you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside.
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if FC4 installs Grub, or LiLo, but all you basically need to do (if you haven't got your Gentoo still on the box) is to edit FC4's grub.conf file and add the lines you had in your Gentoo's grub.conf for your M$Windoze OS (check the Handbook if you have forgotten what to write). The same goes for LiLo although you will need to use the LiLo nomenclature. Reinstalling either Grub or LiLo is not necessary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: