Installing on a secondary hard-drive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuromancerzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Installing on a secondary hard-drive Reply with quote

Ok. Here are the important stats of my computer. Amd64 3000+ asus k8vsedx mobo, radeon 9800 pro, 2 sticks of corsair ram, a maxtor 120gb harddrive for the primary, and a brand new maxtor 250gb harddrive for secondary. I want to install gentoo 2005.1 amd64 on the maxtor 250gb and leave it secondary. I basically want to make a dualboot between two harddrives. is this possible using gentoo. I know it is using some other oses. Also I have never installed gentoo before. Are there anythings i should know regarding conflicts with my hardware?
user317
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the example grub.conf and the grub section in the installation docs. dual booting is pretty trivial
neuromancerzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wanted to know if i have to format it in fat32
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot install any linux distro to a fat32 partition so don't format it fat32
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Installing on a secondary hard-drive Reply with quote

neuromancerzero wrote:
Ok. Here are the important stats of my computer. Amd64 3000+ asus k8vsedx mobo, radeon 9800 pro, 2 sticks of corsair ram, a maxtor 120gb harddrive for the primary, and a brand new maxtor 250gb harddrive for secondary. I want to install gentoo 2005.1 amd64 on the maxtor 250gb and leave it secondary. I basically want to make a dualboot between two harddrives. is this possible using gentoo. I know it is using some other oses. Also I have never installed gentoo before. Are there anythings i should know regarding conflicts with my hardware?

As mentioned above dual boot is as easy to set up with Gentoo as any other distros. just edit your boot managers config files and if you use lilo, make sure your other system's boot partition is mounted so it can find the kernel. As for your cpu and hardware their is a forum here dedicated to the amd64 and a fine guide B-)
neuromancerzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do i need to mount my hard drive to install linux as a dual boot to windows xp pro. Here is some other info which i imagine is important. My new hard drive was not recognizing when i set it up as a secondary, so i switched my original hard drive to sata 1 input and the new hard drive to sata 2. Is this dangerous for the system and will it change the way i need to install gentoo?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be "dangerous."

But since your windows drive will be secondary you'll have to use a different than normal grub setup to get windows to boot. You'll have to use grub's map command to make windows "think" it's on the primary HD.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: