View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timothy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: installing kde? Reply with quote

I know I am way over my head in this that I want to install KDE. I set my use var at -gtk -gnom kde qt. as far as I can remember. everything seemed to go fine with my stage 2 install on a msvpc http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx with 512 megs of ram. everything worked fine in the installer exept after reboot I could not get my network to work. the only experience I have with linux is installing debian with netinstall. when I screwd up the partition that my virtual hard drives were on useing partition magic I decided to try gentoo.

so basicaly I want to set up kde with that cool window transparency thing.

right now when I boot I can log in and get a command line. when I goto bin ping and try to ping my router it says networ unreachable.
Timothy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I boot the only error I get is [qote] canot default to dhcp as there is no dhcp module loaded.[/qote] then a command prompt.

as I am used to windows wich just works I was a little supprised... but I am willing to learn.

I hope to learn to program in linux (I already know c#)
Taladar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your network probably doesn't work because you did not emerge a dhcp client (like dhcpcd or dhclient)
during the installation. You should boot the install cd again, mount your partitions the same way you did during the installation, chroot
and emerge one of those.

When your network works you have to "emerge kde" to install kde and configure X11 for your graphics card and monitor.
You can probably find documentation about that on http://gentoo-wiki.com or in the Documention Forum.

Quote:
as I am used to windows wich just works I was a little supprised... but I am willing to learn.

Gentoo has a different concept of usability than windows. Gentoo is a Linux Distribution specifically designed for those that
don't like too many decisions made for them. It installs basically only what you tell it to install instead of installing lots of default applications. This is the reason neither X11 nor KDE or Gnome (or another WM) are installed when you follow the installation instructions.

USE Flags just determine settings for packages that can use some dependencies optionally (e.g. a package that has a KDE and a Gnome Frontend would use the USE flags to determine wether to use none, one of them or both).
Timothy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8szeo/eth0.jpg I posted a screen shot on my ftp of the new msg
masterspud777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like your kernel doesn't have the drivers it needs for your ethernet hardware. Visit the 2005.1 Gentoo handbook under section 7.c for more info on how to recompile your kernel with the necessary drivers.

If you do decide to try this and recompile your kernel, before you begin in 7.c, execute:

# ls -l /usr/src/linux

and check to make sure that points to your kernel version. If it does not, execute:

# rm /usr/src/linux
# cd /usr/src
# ln -s linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 linux

Of course, you could just execute those lines anyway, just to make sure. Then proceed with 7.c.

(btw, those last few insructions of mine came directly from the end of 7.b of the same document, if you want to read more about them too)

Best of luck!
Timothy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do the lines of code you gave me do? I used the manual kernel configuration the first time should just completely redo that section using the automatic one? Do I do this from the cd of hd?
masterspud777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Been busy with my own Gentoo install :)

If you used the manual kernel config the first time (I'm assuming you were following the handbook that I linked in my previous post), then you don't need to execute those lines of code. They will simply create a symbolic link (the command 'ln') from /usr/src/linux to your kernel's source code. It' not necessary for the functioning of your system, just necessary for 7.c in the handbook to make sense.

So, what I would suggest is navigating to /usr/src/linux and going back into the kernel configuration program:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig

Once inside the program, make sure that your network drivers are installed into the kernel (I would suggest compiling them into the kernel... not sure if they would work as simply a module...) Recompile the kernel, copy it over to your boot partition, etc etc (the manual lays all that out)... Then reboot. That should fix your "eth0 does not exist" problem.

Also, notice in your screenshot that it says "Configuration not set for eth0 - assuming dhcp." I'm not sure if that's normal or if that shoudn't be coming up like that. I'm new to Gentoo, but I followed the handbook instructions to the T and I don't think I get that message. MAke sure you read section 8.b in the handbook.

If those things dont work, I dont know what the problem is. I just followed the handbook and it worked fine for me :) Hope that helps!
RAM - 1024MB Kingston PC3200 DDR (2-3-2-5)
Video - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB)
Sound - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Drives - Seagate 200G SATA-150 (Gentoo), Maxtor 160G ATA-133 (WinXP)
Timothy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no luck is there a way to do the automatic thing?
masterspud777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no luck?? Darn. Well, I don't know what the problem is then. The automatic may work. Try the instructions in the manual... Ive never done the automatic thing myself. I 'll let someone with more experience step in here and give you some more pointers :) Sorry about the no dice!

-Spud
RAM - 1024MB Kingston PC3200 DDR (2-3-2-5)
Video - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB)
Sound - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Drives - Seagate 200G SATA-150 (Gentoo), Maxtor 160G ATA-133 (WinXP)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: