Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
can i just download and copy distfiles?????
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iafify
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: can i just download and copy distfiles????? Reply with quote

hi every one

i was trying to install gentoo for the first time
it so undisired for me the the system downloads distfiles from the web
so i got an idea
i have downloaded the pacages cd
can i just copy all the packages on it to /usr/portage/distfiles
and continue withe merging the system
with out asking for downloading any thing from the web
if this doesnt work
can i download a list of distfiles you specify for me for p4 based pc using windows then also copy it to the /usr/portage/distfiles/ folder

or is there any way to skip downloading the packages and working from the copied packages from the universal cd
for your knowldge i fowllowed the gentoo handbook 2005.1 step by step but still asking for internet

i will include the text of my make.conf file to see if my use flags i choosed makes the system asks for extra packages
from the internet and if so what is the flages i should use so it wont ask me for internet??????????????

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="3dfx x a52 aac aalib acpi aim alsa apm arts audiofile avi bash-completion bidi bmp bonobo bzip2 calendar canna caps cdr
chasen cjk cpdflib crypt cups curl dbase dbm dbus dga dio directfb divx4linux doc dv emacs emul-linux-x84 encode esd evo
examlpes exif expat fam fastcgi fbcon fdftk ffmpeg fftw filepro flac flash flatfile fortran ftp gb gcj gd gd-external
gdbm geoip ggi gif ginac glut gmp gnome gnustep gnutls gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal hardened hardenedphp
how1 icc iconv icq ieee1394 ifc imagemagick imap imlib inifile iodbc ipv6 japper jack java javascript jikes jpeg junit kde
kdeenablefinal kdexdeltas kerberos krb4 ladcca lcms ldap leim lesstif libcaca libedit libg++ libgda libwww lirc lm-sensors
mad maildir mailwrapper matrox mbox mcal mcve mhash mikmod milter mime ming mmap mmx mng mngosearch mono motif mozilla mp3 mpeg
mpi msn msql mssql mule mysql mysqli nas ncurses netboot next nhc98 nls nocd oci8 odbc ofx ogg oggvorbis openal oracle
osc oscar oss pcntl pcre pdflib perl php plotutils png portaudio ppds profile python qdbm qt quicktime readline recode
samba sasl sdl sharedmem simplexml skey slang slp smartcard sendfile snmp soap sockets socks5 source sox speex spell spl ssl
svg svga symlink sysvipc szip tcltk tcpd tetex theora threads tidy tiff truetype uclibc unicode usb v4l vcd verbose vhosts videos vorbis wddx win32codecs wmf wxwindows xface xine xinerama xml xml2 xmlrpc xmms xosd xpm xprint xsl xv xvid yahoo yaz
zeo zlib"
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short: yes.

Im curious: do you really need such a list of use flags? That is really big... use flags only affect your downloading because while you put more, some deps are added to the packages that will be emerged. Otherwise, you dont need some special settings to do that. Just download the needed files from the repository and put them into distfiles.

EDIT: In case it helps you: my policy for use flags is to add just the ones that I really need, and leave the rest out. The ideal thing is to include something like this:

Code:

USE="-* \
        X no_wxgtk1 \
        pic nptl nptlonly userlocales nls no-old-linux \
        mmx 3dnow sse mmxext nvidia nsplugin \
        dvd cdr cups hal mozilla \
        artswrappersuid \
        perl truetype unicode glut win32codecs nomac \
        flash aim xine kxdeltas kdexdeltas \
        imlib imlib2 tiff jpeg wmf mp3 ffmpeg usb \
        cdparanoia dvdread divx4linux xvid mad quicktime \
        mozsvg mozxmlterm kdeenablefinal ppds \
        sasl slp ldap lzo"

The first line of my use is "-*", which comes to mean that all the use flags are removed, now I set just the ones that I need. As you see, this removes also the need to use negative uses, like -kde -gnome or -arts, since all the uses are off from the first line.

Or course, to do that you need to know the meaning of all the use flags and you need to examine cautiously the package list before every emerge, the good part is that you dont get any extra packs installed, and you know that you only have exactly what you need, and nothing more.

Last edited by i92guboj on Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
elestedt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to simply copy all distfiles to /usr/src/distfiles - you have to make certain that you copy the latest version (according to portage) thou.
ohm314
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

generally speaking it is possible to download all the distfiles you will need and copy them over to usr/portage/distfiles. as long as these are exactly the files emerge needs.
Emerge will not ask you to download anything as long as it finds the distfiles it needs in that directory

greets

ohm
iafify
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys
but i have aquestion i gues it is astupid one
how can i choose the files that i will download and copy???????
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the files are into the gentoo mirrors, the full list of mirrors (choose one depending on your location):

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml

Once you choose your mirror, just go into the directory distfiles of the mirror and select the files that you need, then save them into your local /usr/portage/distfiles.

To know what files you will need to download you can use emerge -pvfD. For example:

Code:

[ i92guboj ]=[ 6thpink ]=[ bg : 0 ]=--       112G       --=[ 08/21/05 23:47:33 ]
[ ~/opt/iso/mount-iso-image-0.9 ]-[0]: emerge -pvf xmbmon
Calculating dependencies ...done!

http://pandemonium.tiscali.de/pub/gentoo/distfiles/xmbmon203.tar.gz ftp://ftp.caliu.info/pub/gentoo/distfiles/xmbmon203.tar.gz http://linuv.uv.es/mirror/gentoo/distfiles/xmbmon203.tar.gz http://www.nt.phys.kyushu-u.ac.jp/shimizu/download/xmbmon203.tar.gz

I hope that is the info that you needed. :)

EDIT: One aclaration: as you see the same file can be named several times, that is depending on the source configuration in make.conf. You just need to download the file once, from any of that places or any other mirror of your election.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: